“beautifully renovated rooms, beds are top of the line”

Comfort Suites Raleigh Durham Airport/RTP
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 3, 2008

It is obvious this hotel is going through a renovation. The lobby is all torn up and you can still see the old dated carpeting in the elevator. However, the rooms are completed and what a beautiful job they have done. The new beds are top of the line quality....my husband who has a bad back and is very critical when it comes to hotel beds, loved it....which is pretty impressive. The room is large and clean. The shower heads are high and give good pressure and hot water....shampoo, conditioner, lotion and two bars of soaps are provided. Rooms include a mini fridge, microwave and free, and most importantly, reliable internet service.

Customer service is quite impressive. We checked in at 11 pm and the front desk lady was starting to tell me about the breakfast but I stopped her mentioning we would be leaving at 4:30 am. When we got up at 4, the check out receipt was already slipped under the door! She obviously paid attention and made sure we wouldn't have to stop by and take care of that with minimal amount of sleep. We really appreciated that effort.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It's going to be gorgeous when completed, but I imagine the price will hike up. We got it for $100 with taxes.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
outnumbered5, General Manager at Comfort Suites Raleigh Durham Airport/RTP, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2009

Thank you very much for your comments! We are commited to 100% guest satisfaction. I am very happy you enjoyed our renovations. There is still more to come in the future, If you are planning another trip to the Durham Area please let us accomodate you lodging needs.

Philip Zanzano

Reviewed September 7, 2008

A perfectly adequate room. A short distance from the airport (4 mls). Staff fine, breakfast good - lack of choice for nearby restaurants but Streets of Southpoint Mall just a short car hop away on the I40 (7 mls). Good location for the business research triangle.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Mr. Mikecbs,

Thank you for your comments, we do appreciate guest commenting on behalf of the hotel. I know there are many hotels to choose from in the area and I thank you for choosing ours for your hotel needs.

Philip Zanzano

Reviewed May 4, 2008

I can not believe some of the negative comments on this property. I have stayed here 6 times in the past year and it has been very positive. The staff are second to none. The rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. I always rent a car so I can not comment on the shuttle service. I do know that without a car the location is less than desirable. The breakfast is what one should expect for free. They have eggs, bread, cereal, muffins, bagels, apple juice, orange juice, 2% milk, whole milk, tea, coffee, bananas, oranges, apples, what do you want for free. The staff is always knowledgeable and friendly. The managers reception on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings is OK free stuff but no manager.

I do have a couple of items for improvement - get a better selection of bread plain white does not make the grade - make sure the tables are steady. That is about it - bread selection and stable tables - not too hard to fix.

When in RTP stay here.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2008

There was a group of us that stayed here on business. The front desk staff processed the group of us pretty quickly. I just didn't like the high counter as it seemed like they were hiding behind it.

Only 1 elevator was working and with the group of us we had to wait a long time in between it going up and down with loads of people. When I got on, it smelled like someone had urinated in it. The smell remained the entire week and some days it was covered up with air freshener. When I got off the elevator the air was just musty. Not sure if they recently steam cleaned the carpets and the heat was just making it smell bad. It did get better as the week went on.

The room was pretty nice. I had a room at the end of the hall which was larger than the ones in the middle. There's a mini fridge and microwave in the room. For furniture there was a nice king sized bed, a sofa, coffee table, desk, and table with 4 chairs. Wireless and wired internet is free. As you can imagine, the wireless signal was weak at the end of the hallway.

Mon-Wed there's a manager's reception in the evenings which included free snacks and sodas and beer. Only stayed for 1 evening and it seems more and more hotels are offering this type of perk.

The free breakfast was a disappointment. The entire group of us was not happy, but it's passable. There's eggs, waffles, toast, etc. I know there were some other guests who enjoyed it, but with my experience of free breakfasts at other hotel chains, this one is probably the worst... so far. It's definitely better than no breakfast.

There's an outdoor pool with hot tub, but they weren't even filled with water since there was a drought in the area. Business center has 2 computers with a printer so you can print off boarding passes if you need to.

Location is great if you will be in RTP as it's close to all the businesses in the area. There's a starbucks a short walk down the street with a couple of small restaurants. The hotel itself has no restaurant or bar.

My last night there I asked for a 4am wake up call. I also set the alarm for 4:15am just in case. Good thing I did as there was no wake up call. I even double checked the wake up call and shuttle booking the night before. When I went down to check out the front desk lady just was plain rude as if I had just woken her up. Really weird since all the other staff were friendly and attentive.

Overall, the room was nice and comfortable. The staff was mostly friendly. Most of the improvements they should undertake are cosmetic, smelly elevator/hallways, make sure wake up calls are made, and maybe try to improve breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My stay was wonderful. The hotel just got new beds that were extremely comfortable. I haven't slept this well in years.

Also, the general manager was very helpful with my questions, since it was my first time in the area. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I have just returned from staying two nights at this hotel and using their Airport Shuttle service. I do not recommend that you stay at this facility or use their Airport Shuttle service. The hotel charges a premium to use this service and you have to book it direct.

The driver that took us to the airport drove too fast and we were not even running late for our flight.

On our return flight, I called the desk clerk two times and he did not even send the shuttle to the airport. After 30 minutes, I called the hotel again and they didn't even know that I had been waiting. After 40 minutes, I called again and I was told the driver went to the wrong pick-up area.

After 4 phone calls and waiting 45 minutes, outside on a hot summer night, they finally showed up.

They told me that the first clerk was busy, he was getting off duty and that he just forgot to send the shuttle. These excuses were totally unacceptable, for what I had to pay for the service.

If you need to fly and park your car in this area, please use another hotel. I do not recommend this facility.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank JB722
Reviewed June 16, 2007

The entire property seemed really outdated. The wallpaper in my room was peeling in places and there were various cracks and stains. I was bored with the breakfast that they offer after the first day and felt that some consideration could be taken to travelers that prefer a healthy breakfast (skim milk would have been nice). All that said, the staff was nice, the room was quite large, the hi speed internet access was free and the room was cheap. It was a tolerable experience but not a place I would want to stay for more than 5 nights.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business