Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park
Ranked #57 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The staff was incredible ! This is a great place to stay !There is no fitness center or pool here. It is just a basic functional extended stay hotel. The walls are a little thin but not unbearable. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance.(Seriously).

Room Tip: I personally prefer rooms above the first floor as people tend to sit out down there at night but it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Kathy C, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Possibly the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at.

When I arrived there was no one manning the front desk. There was only a sign reading that they had stepped out, and there was no bell to ring either. I must have stood there for almost 10 minutes before anybody came in. That is just what I needed after a five hour drive. To make matters worse when the staff member finally did come in there was no acknowledgement of the situation. No "sorry to keep you waiting" or anything like that. Leaving the front desk unmanned is apparently par for the course with this hotel.

Now for the room. No coffee or shampoo was in the room. The staff did a terrible job of cleaning the bathroom. There were pubic hairs left all over the place in the tub. There were some cabinets in the room that had such old doors that the wood on them had expanded and warped.

The place was very noisy. The walls were really thin, so you could hear everything that was happening outside and in the next room.

If all that weren't bad enough then I opened the refrigerator. That produced one of the worst smells that I have experienced in my life. I would have demanded another room after experiencing that, but the office is unmanned again from 11pm to 7am. There was only a phone there that you could use to contact someone in case of an emergency.

And of course the unfriendly staff didn't bother to ask how my stay was when I checked out in the morning.

This place is awful, awful, awful, awful, awful!! Some hotels are five stars this one is five awfuls!! Avoid it like the plague, but if you must stay here then for heavens sake don't open the fridge in room 134.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaudeY863

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the refrigerator is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are coaching and retraining the staff. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at drt@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is clean, quiet, and well-managed. Staff are always pleasant and willing to help out. I sincerely recommend the Crossland in Durham for either overnight or extended stays. Over the months I've stayed there, there have been no problems of any sort. If equipment fails or isn't up to speed, the situation is resolved without delay.With its 0700-2300 desk hours, access to help is almost always to hand in the case of difficulty.

Although the Crossland isn't especially close to shopping centres and other service facilities, driving distance to everything one might need is short, just minutes away.

All in all, I consider the Crossland to be a huge value for the buck.

Room Tip: I enjoy bottom-floor rooms out of high-traffic areas.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that Staff, Service and Product all met your expectations. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

As a long time resident, I have enjoyed my stay here at Crossland. Both Management and Staff has been GREAT and is very professional and friendly. They make sure that you enjoy your time - whether is long or short. The property provides basic room and kitchenette that is convent to work, shopping and entertainment. Location is quiet late at night which surprised me. Let me say this, I would highly recommend this location for basic travel or extended stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

"I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staff here is great. I honestly have never met more friendly staff in any hotel! They do there best to make sure you have a great extended stay! They know the area also and are helpful anf informative. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012

"It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way,"" and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

All entrances are outside, like motel style. There are three floors and there is an elevator as well as stairs to get to your floor. I was able to book the room by phone easily. There was no incidental charge/hold. They had a AAA member discount. The room had two beds and a kitchenette, however there was only a pot and a spatula/turner. The kitchenette had 2 smaller burners, a mini fridge, and a sink. The bathroom is shower only. The grout/caulking in the bathroom and kitchen could use a redo soon but doable for a night or two. The beds are not the most comfortable but again, it will do for a night or two.This hotel was for one night and very basic. No breakfast, no coffee, no pool, no extras period! Stores are close and very convenient to this location. There are several food places and a grocery store near by. The golden coral buffet is in the same parking lot. There is also a walgreens down the street. This place is about 6 miles from S Miami Blvd in durham via Highway 54 to Highway 55, not too far but not the closest to some of durham's businesses.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
roadwarriornc, Director of Operations at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and the value of the hotel, we listen to our guests and take each of the comments provided to us as we continue to update our facilities. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This extended stay is utilitarian - it's a small room with a decent bed, a tiny kitchenette, a good bathroom/shower and really nice, accomodating staff. I went out and bought a few things for the kitchen as I'm here for a full month. Next time I'll bring them from home. The internet is sketchy - fine for email and such, but too slow to stream anything. I suspect that's pot luck by location in the place. The digital controlled ac/heater is really excellent and dead quiet, btw.

All in all, I'm quite comfortable. The property shares a parking lot with an excellent Golden Corral. Since I'm here doing a low carb program at Duke, that works out perfectly for me. :))

I don't think there is a better value for the money, the location and the comfort in the area. VERY GOOD.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay, we are reviewing the Wifi speed and continue to upgrade each of your facilities in this area. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.