“Decent pricing; depressing atmosphere, disgusting conditions. Not at all worth it.”

Extended Stay America - Durham - University
Ranked #61 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Raleigh
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Booked 14day stay for business, stayed three nights and checked out to move to another location.
When my associate and myself arrived; we noted a larger than usual number of staff (7) milling around at 5-6PM'ish yet just after they left, all the outside ashtrays and trash cans in the hallways were overflowing with trash. People slamming doors and stomping up and down the hallways all night long every night. Employees and guests smoking in the elevators. Seedy looking characters hanging out in running cars and no lights all night long. I noticed several staff repeatedly going in and out of a storage room right next to the office and laundry and whenever I walked by I smelled weed. "Grab and Go" breakfast consisted of a few apples, coffee, and only Sweet 'n Low... No muffins, no granola bars, no oatmeal, no creamer, nothing else. Such a simple, sparse selection to begin with was somehow made even worse! I do not recommend staying in this the Durham location on Towerview Rd. Look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank DragonB5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My stay at this hotel was terrible. I am from out of town and didn't know anything about Durham when I made my reservation. On arrival, my room was dirty, smelled like smoke and there was a burn mark on our comforter. The bathroom was bad. The toilet ran constantly and the floor was peeling up. When the shower water ran, there was a horrible noise from the pipe. There was also no shower curtain. I asked for one, but they never gave it to me. The kitchen was dirty and so was the table. I went and bought Clorox Wipes to clean it myself. The other guests were outside late and one of the nights, the police were there. What put me over the edge was when my son was awaken in the middle of the night because something had bitten him. I pulled back the blankets and there was a roach under the covers. We left the next morning and spend the rest of our time at a different hotel. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and will never stay here again. The one positive thing was that the manager who checked me out was very kind and understanding.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Armelle H
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This motel is right across from the big blue glass tower on a quiet street. This is a nice area of Durham, and the motel is fairly new. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the grounds and room, along with the friendly and courteous staff. There is no riff-raff here, and I feel safe and rested. The location is convenient to Chapel Hill and the Research Triangle Park. I highly recommend this one.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank KMartinGardner
King, NC
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The lobby is very unimpressive and the backlog of people waiting to check in made me think this was not a good choice. It was graduation weekend at local universities plus Mother's Day weekend, so there should have been more than one person working the front desk at 6 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon. And that same person should NOT have been the only person working the front desk at 9 the next morning! The accommodations were ok; mattress & pillows very comfortable. The tv only gets about a dozen channels -- no Comedy central, no HBO, no public tv station. I would not have wanted to spend longer than a week-end there, but at least I slept well the few nights I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
PLEASANT GARDEN
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I called on Saturday to reserve a room for my family arriving in Durham Sunday night from Va. Jackie was the angel that took the reservation. He was such a blessing. I had no doubt I was speaking with a compassionate and caring individual. He made me feel as if he had known me for years. My family arrived on Sunday night and was greeted by Jackie. My family said he was awesome and was as genuine in person as he was on the telephone. My family said the room was clean, neat and over all this was a very good experience. Thank Jackie from me and my family. You Rock!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I walked in hoping to find a room. I was greeted professionally by Jackie. He was very pleasant and courteous and made me feel welcomed. Unfortunately, they didn't have a non-smoking double available. He was so nice I was mad I couldn't stay. It's so refreshing to get the great customer service you expect. From the outside and lobby the hotel looked nice and clean. I can't vouch for the rooms as I was unable to stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about our guest services representative that served you and our hotel overall. I was disheartened to read that we were unable to provide you with a non-smoking double. Please know, we will continue to try to accommodate our guests as best as possible.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at ESA Durham University for a month before eventually transferring to another ESA close to her place of work. Based on the rate, we both knew what to expect with the room. You can hear the foot steps of the guests above your room and sound of water rushing from an opposite room. On my part, you just have to look at the good points of the place. It was comfortable and clean enough. The staff are friendly, especially the manager. They were very professional. We even forgot an item when we left and the staff returned it to us when we got back. The location was very conveniently located to groceries and shops. We definitely would consider going back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our apologies for the disturbance from other guest. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and clean room and the staff was friendly and professional.