Extended Stay America - Durham - University
Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I called on Saturday to reserve a room for my family arriving in Durham Sunday night from Va. Jackie was the angel that took the reservation. He was such a blessing. I had no doubt I was speaking with a compassionate and caring individual. He made me feel as if he had known me for years. My family arrived on Sunday night and was greeted by Jackie. My family said he was awesome and was as genuine in person as he was on the telephone. My family said the room was clean, neat and over all this was a very good experience. Thank Jackie from me and my family. You Rock!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I walked in hoping to find a room. I was greeted professionally by Jackie. He was very pleasant and courteous and made me feel welcomed. Unfortunately, they didn't have a non-smoking double available. He was so nice I was mad I couldn't stay. It's so refreshing to get the great customer service you expect. From the outside and lobby the hotel looked nice and clean. I can't vouch for the rooms as I was unable to stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about our guest services representative that served you and our hotel overall. I was disheartened to read that we were unable to provide you with a non-smoking double. Please know, we will continue to try to accommodate our guests as best as possible.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at ESA Durham University for a month before eventually transferring to another ESA close to her place of work. Based on the rate, we both knew what to expect with the room. You can hear the foot steps of the guests above your room and sound of water rushing from an opposite room. On my part, you just have to look at the good points of the place. It was comfortable and clean enough. The staff are friendly, especially the manager. They were very professional. We even forgot an item when we left and the staff returned it to us when we got back. The location was very conveniently located to groceries and shops. We definitely would consider going back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our apologies for the disturbance from other guest. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and clean room and the staff was friendly and professional.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this location for over 2 months. The management staff there was very professional. The location of this hotel was great. It is close to the major highways. Target is just down the street for your shopping needs. The room came equipped with all your kitchen needs. The staff was very helpful with any problems that you may have with your room. I must say that any place other than your home is not going to be perfect but this locations try's to make your stay as close to home as possible. Thanks Extended Stay on Tower Blvd for making my first experience with Durham NC a great one. I would highly recommend this location!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The back side of the building was great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tamara K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Tamara - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about your stay with us. We were glad to read that you were pleased with the room amenities, room location, and the service from our staff. We strive to provide a "Home Away from Home" experience for all guest and I am pleased we achieved this during your stay.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Okay, so the hotel rooms are....average? Not in great condition. I wanted a non smoking room and had to move twice because the "non-smoking" rooms smelled like smoke. I wasn't really surprised for the rate.

When I contacted the front desk for help they were more than happy to help me find a better room. No attitudes, just service. I also needed to switch my reservation as my plans changed, and they were more than accommodating and went out of their way to help.

So, your room will most likely smell like smoke, but the staff, especially the manager Debra,
are excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your first room smelled of smoke. In response to your feedback, I am going to discuss this issue with my team to make sure everyone continues to work on making our rooms "FRESH". We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The representative were courteous, and helpful. The nonsmoking room reeked of cigarette smoke - febreeze did not help. They need other products. The shuttle svc was reliable, but you have to be very specific with your address, because the hotel paperwork is not, and frequently the shuttle didn't know where you were while waiting for them. There seemed to be a few residents, but overall very quiet. Poorly lit hallways (some places smelled of pee). The cost was very reasonable, which explains the accommodation inadequacies.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your room smelled of smoke. In response to your feedback, I am going to discuss this issue with my team to make sure everyone continues to work on making our rooms "FRESH". We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We reserved a room for 6/23/13. Knowing we would be arriving around 11pm, we called the hotel in late afternoon to inform them we were indeed coming. The person who answered said she was too busy to talk and reassured us that our reservation was in the computer. When we arrived, they had no room available and offered no alternative. We were left searching the area for a room late at night. We called reservations, who took our complaint and said we would be contacted by customer relations the next day. Three days later -- no call. We contacted customer relations and sat on hold for 20 minutes. We contacted corporate and were able to leave a message for the area manager. Still no response. The company clearly does not care about their customers. Good luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joel M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Joel - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that your reservation was not honored, nor did we provide you with an alternative plan so that you would not have to be inconvenienced by looking for another hotel in which to stay. Please accept our apologies. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being coached on making sure each reservation is honored and, in case there is an overbooking, how to provide the guest with other accommodations that we arrange for them.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. I hope that you will contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.