“great hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Staten Island, New York, United States
“great hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am a Duke patient who is very sick who travels 10 hours to come to Durham. Extended stay was great. Mrs. Perry was very accommodating and her staff so pleasant. I didn't get to meet most the staff as I was ill, but my boyfriend did and they helped out in anyway they could. My room was very cozy and very clean. I will definitely be back. It makes a huge difference to a sick person when a hotel thinks of your needs. Although i booked through a 3rd part site, they made sure i had a first floor room since i use a wheelchair and i was right by the office just in case we needed anything.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rachael P, Area Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
"I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I thoroughly recommend the Extended Stay America Durham University. I have been staying here for over two years, they have always treated me well. Although not always perfect, I feel like the staff really treats in a very special manner.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rachael P, Area Operations Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America Durham - University. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I've happily stayed at ESA properties in other cities, and had high hopes for this one in Durham. The location is great-- close to I-40 (a mile or so), close to Duke and Downtown Durham (a couple miles +/-), and very close to a big shopping center with a Super Target, Sam's Club, and several chain restaurants.
But even though the property has undergone a major cosmetic renovation (summer 2011), they have not addressed functional, management issues:
No change for the on-site laundry.
Failure to empty overflowing trash bins on weekends
Equipment in rooms that simply does NOT work. Stove in one room, shower in another-- as I moved from room to room in search of one that worked.
Too bad. Not for me, ever again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

We know that a totally satisfied customer is one who will come back and stay with us again. That is why we take your review so seriously. It reminds us that there is always room to improve.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I was only at this hotel for one night and for that period of time it was average and cheap. I didn't find anything unclean or dirty. Everything worked in the kichenette and the staff was polite and helpful. Nothing spectacular, but also not as bad as others found it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

The highlight: vomit in the elevator one fine Saturday morning. When I told the staff about it, they said they knew about it and that the person that is responsible for cleaning up vomit in the elevator would come into work in a couple hours and he would clean it up then. Great. I had a sprained ankle so could not use the stairs. I intentionally stayed out of the hotel for several hours so that I would not have to go in the elevator again before they cleaned it. Other highlights: the loud, raucous party the night before; the rooms were never really cleaned (sheets not changed, floor not vacuumed, plastic gloves left on the dresser). The walls were very, very thin. I actually ended up leaving the hotel a day early and spending the night somewhere else. It was just too much.

The location is great if you need to get to Duke's west campus. Other than that, there's nothing else. It was one of the cheaper options in the area, but I would have rather paid an extra $20 a night to not have to deal with all the problems. You get what you pay for!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business