“Enjoyed this hotel very much” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Enjoyed this hotel very much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

My family and I visited the Raleigh/Durham area in August, 2009, and stayed at La Quinta Inn on Westpark Drive. The hotel was clean, well-appointed, with a fitness center, lovely gardens and pool, and an excellent breakfast included in the very reasonable price. It is very convenient to the highway, and I would definitely stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2009

After eleven hour car trip, got to La Quinta after midnight with my dog. Was assigned a room that strongly smelled of cat urine. I went to the front desk, and the not-so-helpful clerk told me there may have been a cat in there before. (Gee, ya think?) She told me that, "No one checks the pets - that people come with all sorts - not just cats and dogs. Could be snakes in someone's room."
I was quite astonished by this, and apparently was not going to get another room. Maybe they were full. (?) I went back up to the room to get desperately needed sleep, and discovered the sheets were filthy, disgusting, and stained. Big, big yellow stains. I went to my car and got large rags that my dog sits on because I would rather sleep on those than the sheets in the room. I put one down for my dog, too, as I did not want him on the rug. It was too late to go elsewhere, I was too tired. The next day, after I reluctantly returned to the stench from my day at Duke, I was searching the phone book for other pet friendly hotels nearby that I could move to. I also turned on the television. It made a large popping noise and smoke started to pour out of the back. The smell of melting plastic from the back of the tv was toxic and dreadful. I grabbed my dog, called the front desk, and prepared to alert the other guests. A clerk, different from the one who checked me in the night before, ran up and took care of it. She was sincerely apologetic, and asked me if I wanted another room. Yes, I told her, but in a different hotel, and I left, my heart still pounding in my chest, my pulse thumping in my ears, out of breath. She did not charge me for the two days I could have been charged for. I was glad, as I was so not in the mood to argue about the bill.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank kkismoi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

We stayed one night while delivering our son to camp at UNC. We had never stayed at a La Quinta Inn before and I was a little nervous. The price we received was just under $55.00 including taxes. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was large, clean and spacious. The beds and pillows very comfortable. The pool and pool area was large and clean and included a hot tub. Although we did not use them, if time had permitted we would have. Wish the breakfast hours were later. We chose to sleep in past the 9:00 a.m. cut off. The staff were very pleasant. Absolutely no problem with their wireless high speed internet. We will definitely stay the next time we are in this area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Lovestotravel2200
Lyon, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

Unfortunately, I didn't pay a value rate....

My family stayed on a premium weekend, with a last minute booking, and I paid an extortionate price. But I'm writing this review based on the typical rates that most TripAdvisor visitors would be likely to pay and, on that basis, for you it would be an adequate value. And if you found a bargain rate here and the price point is a high priority for you, then I'd even call this property a terrific find. I have to give it 2 or 3 stars, but I think if you're well-prepared and take the advice here and in other TripAdvisor reviews, your visit should be much better than mine and I see no reason why you couldn't stay there and have a 4 or 5 star experience for the money.

I booked here on the basis of excellent reviews I've read here on TripAdvisor...not to mention the fact that they had a room available during UNC graduation weekend/Mother's Day. The reviews are fairly accurate. The room sizes, the cleanliness, the facilities, etc., combine to make this a terrific value find, particularly for family travelers. The problems I encountered are of the nature that they're not likely to be encountered all the time by future travelers and/or they're easy to ignore or brush off if you're saving from $80-100/night over other nearby hotels.

For instance, we had reserved a no-smoking room but found that it reeked of cigarette smoke. There were no signs reminding guests not to smoke and there were ashtrays left out in the room so we weren't even sure that we were in a non-smoking room. The front desk assured us that we were and that they can't help it if guests break the rules. It's true: what can they do, short of video monitoring guest rooms, right? Well, a few simple signs might have given a smoker pause. And housekeeping could remove ashtrays they find in no-smoking rooms. Most importantly, following up on an on-line La Quinta survey, the GM called me to review my comments and he said that he would follow through on those suggestions. So I hope -- and believe -- that smoke-scented no-smoking rooms will be less likely to be a problem for future visitors.

A grumpy staff was another TripAdvisor comment (noted in other reviews) that we experienced that could be overlooked if you're getting a bargain rate. The "tough luck" and dismissive attitude when we called to ask if we were in a non-smoking room was one of several examples of a staff not well-versed in customer service -- a quality that comes at very little cost to a hotel chain. The good news is that this is not a top-to-bottom problem. Oddly enough, the lower down the chain-of-command we were dealing with, the better the service. The housekeeping staff and other crews, such as the breakfast servers, were totally agreeable, if not friendly. As one example of this, despite a front desk that was indifferent to cigarette smoke, a housekeeper we ran into (and asked to take away the ashtrays) took it upon herself, without any instruction from us or the front desk, to bring us all new pillows and bed linens. My advice would be to deal directly with the non-management staff as much as possible and your visit will be fine.

There are plenty of points where this property gets unqualified top marks, starting with the indoor pool which -- as my daughter will tell you -- was totally awesome (and it was a warm place to hang out and read a book on a chilly, rainy weekend). The hotel is convenient to most anything in Durham or Chapel Hill by car. There's plenty of free -- and safe -- parking. And the bathrooms were well stocked and actually extremely nice for a value hotel chain.

I'll leave you with one final tip that will help you avoid one of those annoying trivial issues we ran up against and you don't need to: this property has two elevators. Apparently, the upper levels (definitely the 4th floor, I'm pretty sure the 3rd, and don't know about the 2nd) are not accessible by both elevators. So be careful about which elevator you take upstairs, as you may find that you'll have to ride down to the ground floor to get back up. We learned this as we brought in our luggage. A quick "heads up" from the front desk at check-in would take care of this, but now you're set even if they have a mental lapse when you check-in...which is something I would definitely recommend for the value-conscious, budget-minded family travelers.

• Liked — Convenience, nice facilities for its class (esp'y the indoor pool), help from non-management staff
  • Disliked — Rude front desk, numerous little problems that are easily fixed/avoided with better management
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

Stayed here three nights as part of a conference. Location is midway between Chapel Hill and Durham, not too far from I-40. Red Lobster is adjacent, but other restaurants and shopping require a car.

Room was very adequate and had microwave/mini-fridge. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom had French doors and no lock, which I found somewhat unusual. Shampoo provided was in very small container and I had to get more at front desk.

Did not use indoor pool, but it looked nice. Continental breakfast was o.k.--two types of cereal, muffins, apples,--but not a whole lot of choices.

This hotel offers a good value compared to others along I-40. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Central Location for my activities
  • Disliked — Limited continental breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee S
Hendersonville, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

This is the second time we stayed at this hotel. We would stay again if passing through. For the most part, the hotel is fairly clean. The rooms are well kept. The beds are comfortable enough for one night.

The pool area and general lobby were in ok shape. The hot tub in the pool area was not in working order both times we stayed this month. Some of the staff including assistant management were rather grumpy. While they were adiquite at taking care of check in and check out, they were not much on going out of thier way to help. No smiles and not much for making us feel welcome. Keep in mind there were some exceptions to this, especially the people that took care of the breakfast. They were nice and the breakfast was good too.

Overall, we were pleased with our stay and would stay again. The fact that they are pet friendly was a big plus!

• Liked — Pet Friendly!
  • Disliked — Grumpy Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Winston Salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2008

This is our favorite hotel in Durham/Chapel Hill. It is cheap, very convenient to Duke and UNC. We stay here a lot for weekend visits. Pet friendly!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business