“Nice hotel and staff, need to get door locks fixed”

La Quinta Inn & Suites University Area Chapel Hill
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the La Quinta. The room was clean with a few patched areas on the walls but still clean.
The staff was really nice and helpful. The inner courtyard by the pool is a great place to sit and smoke at night.
Breakfast was good.
Here's my only problem. My room key (credit card style) did not work when I first checked in so I had to go up to the second floor, try my key, go back down to the desk, get it reprogrammed, and go back up. No big deal except that every time I left my room, the same thing happened. I ended up with 3 room keys and at times, none of them worked and back down to the desk I went. The odd thing was that I had stayed at this same La Quinta a few years ago and had the same room and the same problem. Its room 235. They really need to fix it.
I hate to even gripe about that but it was a pain. The staff was so nice that I don't want this to reflect on them.

Room Tip: Check to make sure you are not having lock problems on your room before you settle in. You may want...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were able to get a room for the night while in Durham to visit my old campus. Room was clean, quiet, without any problem. Desk staff were also efficient and nice. Breakfast was the usual type. Would stay here again if in the area

A TripAdvisor Member
Westminster CO
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just wanted to take this opportunity to let the staff at the Durham Chapel Hill LaQuinta know how much we enjoyed our visit. From the reservation call that I made to the hotel just a little over two weeks before our stay (over the busy graduation weekend), to our week's stay, I just wanted you all to know how great our stay was. Everyone was kind, helpful, professional, despite it being a very busy time. I wouldn't change a thing! We had stayed at a LaQuinta in St. Louis and weren't impressed, but decided to try again and this time... BINGO! We'll be back. Loved everything about our stay. The room was very clean and very room... lots of space and comfortably arranged. The bed was ultra comfortable. I had a refrigerator and a microwave for the same price as a Quality Inn hotel room down the street without these amenities and that room would have been half the size of the room we had. When we arrived there were two bottles of water and a whole host of snacks waiting for us in the room. Impressive!!! Thank you!!! Looking forward to our next stay the beginning of August!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Durham, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed May 15, 2013

La Quinta in Durham is great. Clean and very nice premises and room, very nice king mattress and room. I loved the little patio just off the lobby. Hotel is convenient to Hwy 15/501 and South Square mall but not close to downtown Durham.

Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

On checking in, the front desk service was more than friendly which was particularly nice because the service road the hotel is on looks a little sketchy at first. It's a good price for the area and the property seems well-kept. The room was pretty quiet, more so to other rooms' noise than to hall noise, and seemed fairly clean until I found several unwanted curly hairs in the bed, including one on the pillow. Finding hair is a major turn off to me and really dampened my evening. Also, I don't sleep well in hotels in general and this particular trip I had an important meeting in the afternoon. I planned to take advantage of the hotel's reasonable check out time by getting a little more rest, but housekeeping woke me up pretty early by pounding on my door twice. I know this happens lots of places but there really has to be a better way.

• Stayed: May 2013