“Great service, clean rooms, great breakfast”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We had a great experience at this hotel. We had a quick check in with a very friendly employee. The room was spacious and clean. It had a nice flat screen TV and I thought the bathroom was spacious as well. The only issue I had was that there was no fridge or microwave in the room. I had expected a fridge based on other reviews but there wasn't one. They had a great breakfast with a lot of variety and checkout was a breeze. It's about 6 minutes from Southpoint mall, which was very nice. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Traveled to Durham nc to spend time with family was alittle sceptical about staying since the la Quinta in pawcatuck ct had thin walls. I was pleasantly surprised with Durham la Quinta. Automatic doors welcomed you. And the front receptionist was so sweet and patient and helpful. The rooms were very clean and breakfast was excellent. I am still here currently and will come here again. It is a must for a clean, curteus hotel staff after traveling 12 hours. And the walls were not paper thin. No complaints at this hotel just worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Since we were completing our vacation, we were looking for someplace economical, family friendly and close to family we were visiting. After reading a few of the other reviews, my expectations were modest. The woman at the front desk was incredibly friendly while the hotel was clean and bright. Give this hotel a chance and it will likely meet or surpass your needs too.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel, the first time being about a year ago. It was good then, but they recently renovated the rooms and now it is spectacular! Everything in the room was brand new and ultra-modern--bed, dresser, LCD TV, desk, and chairs. The carpet was new also, as was the microwave and refrigerator. This was the first time I have seen a refrigerator in a hotel room that had glass shelves and a digital temperature readout. It is clear from all the room furnishings that they put a lot of money into the renovation. The only negatives of my stay were that the TV only got about 17 channels and the hard boiled eggs at breakfast were not already pealed. But, thesewere rather minor inconveniences. Overall, this is an excellent hotel!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Marcus427
Reviewed May 21, 2011

- Thin walls / ceilings -- lots of noise from other rooms.
- My suite has a clogged sink, 2 of 2 phones don't work, 1 of 2 TVs doesn't work.
- Indoor pool is useless if the water is freezing -- my kids turned blue.
- Housekeeping subpar.

Room Tip: Look into another chain
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Zissou77
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We were in the Chapel Hill/Durham for four nights. The staff at the front desk was welcoming and soon after we checked in, we received a call to make sure our needs were met. The room was clean, the breakfast area was immaculate and they had a nice variety of food including hard boiled eggs and yogurt. Very nice!

It was especially nice having a guest laundry in the hotel. When you are gone for a few weeks, it's essential yet most hotels don't have that facility.

The only criticism that we had was a quirk in the wiring. In order to keep your lap top plugged in and juiced, you must keep the hall light on. It was really strange.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This place is a good value. And it's court yard / pool area is quite attractive (nice plantings & shady trees. And having an adequate make-do breakfast included is good. I'll even stay here again.

HOWEVER, I strongly suggest the manager find a blunt relative to stay there one night and give a frank "how to improve". In the mean time, I'll have to suffice. Manager, please read:

1. Cleanliness of room. ... The mini hair dryer had a big thumbprint of dried blood (or dark chocolate on it). Yuk. The shower curtain had the beginnings of mold along the bottom edge. ... But no dust bunnies or questionable bedding.

2. Room fix-ups needed. ...
a. Re-caulk the shower. As long as you have lower end impervious panels in the shower at least seal them off where they meet the tub. The little bit of caulking left was mostly separated and obviously taking in water into the wall. Yikes! I didn't smell mold yet but ...
b. Floor tile missing; not the end of the world except when I went to the bathroom at night and nearly sliced the tip of my toe (my yelp woke up my wife).
c. Bowed out shower curtain is nice & roomy but it's sagging down.
d. No screens. ... I love to sleep in with the window open for fresh air. In the middle of the night I was woken up by a mosquito buzzing my ear. It wasn't until the next morning I realized the screen was non existent. No screens in NC? You can't do that.

3. Misleading web page. ... My big gripe: If the pool is NOT open due to repairs say so on the web page. e-mail me, or something! I talked up the pool to my wife (who loves to swim). The whole time we were there (4 days) the pool was closed. I felt a bit foolish. And it didn't help having the the friendly desk clerk tell me about how quickly it was being repaired. Doesn't do me any good.

4. Watch out for the front door the first time in!! ... The doors automatically open out towards you. I didn't expect them to spring open when I went to reach for the door handle. Understand I don't move quickly due to a slight limp. I came within inches of being knocked to the ground. Yikes again! What an uncomfortable welcome to the hotel. Mark the pavement, put up a bright orange free standing sign or something.

5. Nearly unusable gym. ... At least it's something but it's pitiful. The ONE all-purpose weight machine is the worst machine I've EVER used in my life. At least half of the exercises the machine said you could do were NOT doable. At least the bike worked well and had a TV you could look at to take away the boredom. Oops, but I couldn't get the TV to work. The front desk had no idea how to work the TV either (nor did they try). Manager, please leave idiot instructions (even if just for me) or FIX the TV.

5. Noise. ... Well sort of. The back court yard area seems to hold and reflect sound. About 10:30 one night I was awaken by a handful of people talking loudly in the courtyard and laughing. In my 2nd floor room it was amazingly loud.

6. Dogs. ... I don't know if the hotel allows dogs (if it does I wont' be back). What I DO know is one morning when my elevator opened there were two large poodle dogs (50 pounds each) in the elevator. I don't trust strange dogs (especially when they are LARGE ones, TWO of them, and in a CONFINED space with no escape. So limp and all I took the stairs.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple