“Spot on with good reviews”

La Quinta Inn & Suites University Area Chapel Hill
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We were in the Chapel Hill/Durham for four nights. The staff at the front desk was welcoming and soon after we checked in, we received a call to make sure our needs were met. The room was clean, the breakfast area was immaculate and they had a nice variety of food including hard boiled eggs and yogurt. Very nice!

It was especially nice having a guest laundry in the hotel. When you are gone for a few weeks, it's essential yet most hotels don't have that facility.

The only criticism that we had was a quirk in the wiring. In order to keep your lap top plugged in and juiced, you must keep the hall light on. It was really strange.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed May 6, 2011

This place is a good value. And it's court yard / pool area is quite attractive (nice plantings & shady trees. And having an adequate make-do breakfast included is good. I'll even stay here again.

HOWEVER, I strongly suggest the manager find a blunt relative to stay there one night and give a frank "how to improve". In the mean time, I'll have to suffice. Manager, please read:

1. Cleanliness of room. ... The mini hair dryer had a big thumbprint of dried blood (or dark chocolate on it). Yuk. The shower curtain had the beginnings of mold along the bottom edge. ... But no dust bunnies or questionable bedding.

2. Room fix-ups needed. ...
a. Re-caulk the shower. As long as you have lower end impervious panels in the shower at least seal them off where they meet the tub. The little bit of caulking left was mostly separated and obviously taking in water into the wall. Yikes! I didn't smell mold yet but ...
b. Floor tile missing; not the end of the world except when I went to the bathroom at night and nearly sliced the tip of my toe (my yelp woke up my wife).
c. Bowed out shower curtain is nice & roomy but it's sagging down.
d. No screens. ... I love to sleep in with the window open for fresh air. In the middle of the night I was woken up by a mosquito buzzing my ear. It wasn't until the next morning I realized the screen was non existent. No screens in NC? You can't do that.

3. Misleading web page. ... My big gripe: If the pool is NOT open due to repairs say so on the web page. e-mail me, or something! I talked up the pool to my wife (who loves to swim). The whole time we were there (4 days) the pool was closed. I felt a bit foolish. And it didn't help having the the friendly desk clerk tell me about how quickly it was being repaired. Doesn't do me any good.

4. Watch out for the front door the first time in!! ... The doors automatically open out towards you. I didn't expect them to spring open when I went to reach for the door handle. Understand I don't move quickly due to a slight limp. I came within inches of being knocked to the ground. Yikes again! What an uncomfortable welcome to the hotel. Mark the pavement, put up a bright orange free standing sign or something.

5. Nearly unusable gym. ... At least it's something but it's pitiful. The ONE all-purpose weight machine is the worst machine I've EVER used in my life. At least half of the exercises the machine said you could do were NOT doable. At least the bike worked well and had a TV you could look at to take away the boredom. Oops, but I couldn't get the TV to work. The front desk had no idea how to work the TV either (nor did they try). Manager, please leave idiot instructions (even if just for me) or FIX the TV.

5. Noise. ... Well sort of. The back court yard area seems to hold and reflect sound. About 10:30 one night I was awaken by a handful of people talking loudly in the courtyard and laughing. In my 2nd floor room it was amazingly loud.

6. Dogs. ... I don't know if the hotel allows dogs (if it does I wont' be back). What I DO know is one morning when my elevator opened there were two large poodle dogs (50 pounds each) in the elevator. I don't trust strange dogs (especially when they are LARGE ones, TWO of them, and in a CONFINED space with no escape. So limp and all I took the stairs.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this location on February 29, 2011 for one night. When at all possible we always stay at a la quinta, our prefered choice. Not just because it is pet friendly but because of what is offered consistently.
We unfortunately did not totally enjoy our stay at this location. It was clean, welcoming and we were greeted promptly and politely by the young lady at the desk. We had booked a suite and were surprised when we were given a deluxe king.
We requested to pay extra for a suite but were informed that their 2 remaining suites had been trashed and unavailable.With that being said, at first we felt a little unsafe but relized it was probably just dumb university kids and decided that we would take the room. The room was fine...quiet and comfortable. We really enjoyed the view the the very nice courtyard. The internet connection in the room was very slow so I decided to use the business center computer...That too had been trashed somehow.
When we were checking out I observed the we had been charged $10.00 more than we were quoted.The gentleman who was on the desk fixed the mistake but did not look at all pleased at me with my request.
I will think twice before booking at this location and will probably book at one of the three other La Quinta's that are close by.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cyndyvirgil
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This hotel is a good value, The room (King) was comfortable with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The staff was friendly and helpful. The continential breakfast was typical and adequate, considering it is free. Good location near shopping and restaurants and about 15 minutes to the airport. Very close to Duke University. The only criticism is thaat the hot tub was too hot and very strongly chlorinated, which made it difficult to enjoy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Not only were we lied to, but we were treated rudely once we arrived. We requested two rooms, both with two full sized beds and for two nights. Not only did we get two rooms with only one queen in each, but we were only scheduled for one night, which messed with the money plans. We were treated rudely from the time we arrived to the time we left. I will NEVER come back. On the bright side, if you decide to stay, make sure to speak with Margaret. She was the only sweet one who helped me in any form. Again, stay clear or you will get screwed over.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MGLee19
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Rate was comprable to alternatives in the area. Room was acceptable, but the hallways and public areas need painting and cleaning. Breakfast choices were uninteresting. The exercise room was the most disappointing; it was the size of a standard room with two treadmills, two stationary bikes, and a multifunctional weight machine. The trash can wasn't emptied during the three days that I stayed, and the combination of that odor and the mold in the carpet was nasty. The TV screen was covered with dust, and the color was so bad that you had to hold your head at a particuliar angle to see the picture. The room was lined wtth bright flourescent lights. The indoor pool is a nice feature but is also not clean.I could hear a dog barking from one of the rooms during the evening hours. I'll be looking at other choices when I return to Durham/Chapel Hill.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2010

in town for an interview at university of north carolina, hotel close to university, nice price for a clean hotel, did not use the pool , but the pool looks very clean and a nice size, room very clean. and free continental breakfast ,,,i would recomend this hotel and this is the first time i used tripadvisor...will always use tripadvisor in the future,,, the hotel clerk informed me that i got a better price with trip advisor than if i used my AAA card, i paid 72 with tax for one night stay....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business