“Not perfect but close.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Research Triangle Pk
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Our reception experience on arrival was not good as the airline had lost all our luggage and when we explained this the receptionist appeared apathetic and he did not volunteer so much as a free toothbrush and my wife had to request some toiletry items. Other than that first impression the hotel ticked most of the boxes. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable and the daytime staff were much more friendly. Breakfast wasn't the best La Quinta breakfast we have had but was adequate.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2008

We planned a family surname geneology researchers gathering in the Durham area. We worked with the hotel manager, and she was fantastic. Due to the gas prices, and airline rates we didn't get the number expected, but the hotel worked with us providing a meeting room.

The hotel is a five rating in every way, and all that attended were very pleased. It is located near the international airport, and many of our group flew in from the west. Southwest Airlines is a prime carrier. The area has about every type of cusine in the area. Rooms are very clean, and the breakfast area very nice.

I would recommend this hotel for gatherings of any type.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank nanaMissouri
Reviewed September 29, 2008

This was a great place to stay! Room, Linens, etc were spotless! Staff was courteous but could have been a little more outgoing. Can't beat this place for the price! Great Value and easy access to the highway.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AmieW1971
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I am a germophobe, and was very scared once I read the reviews online. I even brought a can of lysol and a set of sheets incase what I read was true, and I got stuck staying there. Our room was spotless, and the whole place was remodled, clean and modern looking. I was so releaved. It was convinient, and easy to find. And CLEAN!!! Do not be alarmed by previous reviews. I was very pleased!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Germaphobe713
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I wasn't expecting all that much with my AAA $54 rate, but boy was I blown away. The concierge staff is fun and friendly and made me feel welcome right away. The rooms were large and clean (they were actually bigger than my apartment!) and the amenities were stocked full. And above all, INTERNET WAS FREE. That is virtually unheard of these days especially for a place so inexpensive.

Overall this place is a wonderful place to stay when passing through Durham.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank BrooklynLady8
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I spent four nights (M-Th) at this La Quinta while in town for business. I was nervous when I found out that our company contracts with La Quinta for a majority of its business travel in the area, as every La Quinta I've seen in the past looked old and in a state of disrepair. Luckily, this La Quinta is much nicer than I expected!

I joined LQ Rewards when making my reservation, so check-in was very quick. The young man at the desk just took my name, asked me if I wanted to keep the room charged to the card that I booked it with, and gave me my key. My colleagues who were not members had to sign paperwork and answer some questions, and both got rooms that were closer to the interstate and train tracks. I'd suggest anyone staying at this property to join the rewards program, as it just seems to make your life (and sleep) a little easier!

Upon first glance, the room was fantastic! There is a laminate wood floor entryway with a small kitchenette enclosed in a cabinet (coffee maker, refrigerator & microwave). Off the entry way is the closet and the bathroom, also with laminate floors and a nice, large vanity. My room, #314, had a large king bed with a pseudo-cushioned bench at the end of it that faced a desk unit that crossed the entire wall. A large LCD TV (basic cable & HBO) hung on the wall on one side, with a desk lamp, phone and internet connection on the other side so that you could work as needed. I think the hotel had wireless, as from time to time my laptop would pick up a signal from the same company that does the wired connection (ibahn), but it was never consistent enough to use it. The bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows.

However, the room could have used a little more cleaning. The light beige comforter had several stains on it, and my sheets had ink stains. While the hotel says they change all linens every 3 nights, my room still had the same stained comforter & linens on the fourth night. I don't mind sleeping on the same sheets for 4 days (especially considering that the RTP is under major water restrictions due to the drought), but I'd prefer it if I got unstained linens to start with. I also noticed that the toilet seat and several light switches were pretty grimey. I just wiped them down and went on with my stay, but I can't believe that their maids don't at least wipe down a toilet seat when a new guest enters a room. These things weren't enough for me to call this hotel "dirty," but I think it shows a lack of attention to detail that I expected when they had put so much time & money into renovating these rooms recently.

Breakfast was fine. It's a basic continental with the addition of waffles. Everything was pretty well stocked, as long as you were able to wait 5 minutes or so for refills of juice when they got busy. There was plenty of indoor seating as well as a nice outdoor courtyard when it's a little warmer. It was nice to have breakfast while watching the news/reading the newspaper in the morning.

At my corporate rate of $49, it was a steal. At the full rack rate of $105 or so, I think I might stay at one of the lower level Marriott properties like SpringHill Suites or Courtyard instead. I've never seen stained sheets during my stays in Courtyards!

Overall, it's a good value. I'm sure if I had complained about the things in my room, they would have been very proactive about fixing them, but the last thing I want to do after a long day of travel is have someone in my room cleaning something that they already should have done.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank MrsKruse
Reviewed December 23, 2007

We stayed here a couple nights and was our first time staying at a La Quinta. We were pleasantly surprised. Everything seemed clean and nice. There was free hi-speed internet and movie channels. Beds were pretty comfortable. The only thing that could be improved are the thin walls. We were actually able to hear things going on in the next room (if you know what i mean). haha.

Overall, this was a good budget hotel in its category.

Stayed: November 2007