“Attn. Conference Attendees - Do not give them your credit card!”

Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Greenville, South Carolina
“Attn. Conference Attendees - Do not give them your credit card!”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

My wife stayed at this hotel last summer attending a scrapbook conference. She paid her bill in full. Six months later, we got an email from the conference provider saying the hotel might attempt to bill the conference attendees for some amount in dispute between the conference provider and the hotel. And sure enough in the following month, the hotel billed our credit card over $170. Apparently they are having some dispute with the people that put on the conference, and they are charging people who stayed there. I have disputed the charge with my credit card. Attempting to charge the guest does not make sense. This would be like going to a concert, buying a ticket, and then 6 months later getting a bill from the arena because of a dispute with the performer. I/we will never stay at this hotel or any Sheraton again if this is condoned as acceptable behavior by management. There are plenty of other places to stay where they don't try to sneak bill you 6 months after staying there for something that is not the guest's responsibility. Buyer Beware !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank hotelsareforpeople
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
It's important to clarify something here. The hotel was never paid for your stay. Unfortunately, the third party booking agent you remitted your monies to, failed to remit them to the hotel. As the ultimate recipient of the hotel benefits, you were notified on your hotel folio that you were responsible for the charges associated with your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Youngsville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I was not very happy with the service at all, I got in my room around 2:00am and when I got in the bed I heared a popping noise in the wall by the window, I layed in the bed as long as I could take it and called the front desk they said they would send someone up to check it out, I waited 2 hours and no one showed up, I went to the front desk told them agian they said they would get someone up there, but I need some sleep, I left without getting any refund or a discount for my problem, I would think they would treat they customers better.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
We do apologize because we realize just how important a good night's sleep is to our guests. At the Sheraton Imperial, we make every effort to help our guests have a restful night. In your case, it's difficult to know exactly what kind of unusual noise problem you were experiencing. However, because of the late hour, it might have been easier to have found you another room so you could get some rest. We are very sorry for this inconvenience.
Baltimore
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I had to stay here for work for 10 nights 11 days. The rooms lack many essentials - no mini fridge, microwave, bathroom fan, lighting etc. They didn't even have a microwave in the lobby I could use to heat up dinners. They also do not have any fitness center, and you have to pay $7/day to go to a nearby gym. The staff was ok, the restaurant food was good. The beds are weird and not comfy. And the business center sucks. It would be ok for a night but def not for an extended stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
We appreciate your bringing these concerns to our attention. We realize that we didn't meet your expectation for your extended stay, and we're committed to doing a better job. Your comments have caused us to reevaluate and revise the amenities that we can provide to our extended stay guests. We are sure that this revision wil add comfort and convenience to our warm service attitude.
Reviewed October 22, 2010

As an SPG member, I was generally unimpressed with my stay. It's a large property, so I was surprised that it lacked even a small fitness center. Asking $7 to allow use of a Gold's Gym within walking distance seemed petty. Twice shuttle drivers seemed unaware of delivery arrangements we'd made with the hotel, and I had to rush to make a meeting on time when the desk failed to make the wake-up I'd arranged the night before. On the upside, the room was clean, and the bed comfortable. Next time I'm on business at Research Triangle Park, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
We're very sorry that there were miscommunicatioins which caused this guest some inconvenience. We take responsibility for any errors on our part and will use this feedback in training our staff. Our hotel is surrounded by wooded walking/jogging trails, has a pristine outdoor pool and spa and tennis courts. Several of our rooms are equipped with personal fitness equipment. To clarify, for a nominal fee guests can use the next-door Gold's gym which is a fully equipped facility with raquetball, indoor pool, workout spaces with weights and machines and even a sauna and onsite massage therapist. It can be accessed as often and as many times during the day and evening that a guest chooses.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Spent 3 nights here for a business meeting. Excellent location as the office I was going to is right across the street. Caught the free airport shuttle and really didn't need a car. The down side to that meant I spent all my free time in the hotel... the room, bar, and restaurant.

I was surprised to see a cardio cycle machine inside my room. The room was large with a couple of sitting chairs in the corner along with a desk to work from. The furniture looked well used, but not terribly out dated. The bathroom on the other hand could use some upgrades. Overall, the room was just average.

The hotel offers free parking although I didn't need it. Free internet which was so slow I couldn't really use it. The lobby has a business center where you can print and use the hotel computers. The food in the restaurant was decent, and the bar was a great place to hang out. There's a coffee shop in the lobby where you can grab a starbucks coffee and a bagel and muffin if you don't need a full breakfast. This worked out well for me as I usually just need something light in the mornings, then you can hop on the hotel shuttle which will take you to any close by locations.

I'd say this was an average hotel. They did everything as expected with no problems to note in either the service, amenities, or the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2010
We are very glad that this guest enjoyed our convenient location and the full services that we offer. We try to make a personal and lasting impression with all our guests, so we regret that your stay was not exceptional. Come give us another try when you're in the RTP area. If you check out our Facebook page, you'll get a good sense of all that's happening at the Sheraton Imperial.
uk
Reviewed September 19, 2010

First is has to be said that the staff were very friendly and polite but I have also found this to be true at other hotels in the area on previous visits. Second it should be said that there are much better options in the area on all counts in my experience.

Cleanliness is oki no more than less than should be expected in a branded chain
Location ok if location is not important to you but personally I find that location is one of the more important reasons for choosing a hotel
Rooms worn,old, tired, dull dark beds ok
Service ok
Value not good really given that the rooms are not great and sleep appears to be an optional extra
Sleep Quality very poor

The room is King right off the main lobby by the elevators and access stairs so not a great location and yet I was not asked for any preferences nor were any facilities explained on check in; which was not particulary speedy despite there being more staff than guests at reception.

The room smells like an ex smoking room and as a smoker it must be bad for me to notice. (If it isn't an ex smoking room then it justr smells like one) The curtains don't close properly which given there is outside lighting right outside the rooms doesn't help' The room door doesn't appear to close properly in the frame so not a lot of confidence in the security of belongings. The tap / fawcet made a dorrendous noise and sounds more like a macerator so I daren't turn it on fully. The light from the corridor comes in throught the well travelled corridor, so hanging a peace and quiet sign is a waste of time as is expecting darkness at night. The bathroom is adequate but not good with just a shower area and plastic curtain.

As an aside the lack of a fridge, or providing one at a charge just sems shortsighted petty and cheap. I would just line with a plastic bag and then fill one of the trash buckets with ice to chill anything if you are coming here and not bother ordering anything that may need cooling from the hotel services.

I have also never seen the sense in only having safety boxes only available at reception in major chains. This maybe because I do not fancy running about at midnight in pyjamas because I need something from there.

The lobby pretty much opens into the bar area so there is a lack of intimacy for just having a beverage with others.

The location requires either unlimited taxi funds or a rental vehicle, though the shuttle service is useful, but then it needs to be . The gentlemen who operate this deserve special mention for their civility and positive contribtion to what is otherwise shaping up to be a dissapointing stay in a major brand. I would say hopefully a quickly forgettable stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Cules_flatlander
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
We regret very much that this guest was not fully satisfied by his experiences at our hotel. We certainly will do a thorough inspection and review of the room in question and make sure it is up to our high standards for guest comfort and quality. Each guest room is equipped with very effective blackout drapes which successfully block out all light, so he/she should not have had any difficulty with light coming in. By the first week in November all our guestrooms will have brand-new white Sweet Sleeper bedding which will provide more comfort and a nice bright feel to the guestroom. We encourage our guests to tell us about noise issues or rooms that don't meet their expectations. We will do everything in our power to correct a situation when we know about it. It's true that we're away from malls and shopping, but we offer complementary shuttle service and our green park- like setting with tennis courts and walking/jogging trails provide most business travelers with a welcome respite from airports and conference rooms. We encourage this guest to speak up in the future and let us know when things go wrong so we can make them right.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We are SPG members and love Sheraton and it's chain of hotels. We figured from the website description and being a corporate-focused hotel in the high-tech area, it would be good. This hotel has a beautiful entry and common areas. However, the rooms are a bit tired and lack the luxury in most Sheraton's. They do not use Sheraton "Sweet Sleeper" bedding/etc. They don't triple-sheet the bed, and the walls are paper thin. Some party-ers kept us up until 2 AM above our room laughing loudly, pounding the floor and yelling. The shower curtain was so sad, ripped and not the Sheraton norm. Bathroom amenities were minimal. It was clean, but a bit spartan. The internet wireless service was terribly slow, as well. That also surprised us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
We will have the bright white Sweet Sleeper bedding in place by the first week of November. We are sorry that you were disppointed with some aspects of your room. We will use your comments and observations to improve our service delivery. We encourage you in the future to contact our Guest Services or Housekeeping Dept. when you have an issue and we will do our best to make it right immediately! Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and we hope you'll come back when you are in our area again.