“Acceptable hotel room- a bit run down” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center

Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Monmouth, Illinois
“Acceptable hotel room- a bit run down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

Overall it was a pleasant stay at the Sheraton Imperial- the beds are comfortable and the room was acceptable.

The room does need some updating as the bathroom sink was very cracked and unattractive and the air conditioning rattled loudly every time it came on.

The general areas of the hotel are attractive though and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Very convenient location to the RTP area.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Kath K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

I got stranded in Raleigh-Durham for 2 nights because my flights were cancelled due to weather.
I stay at many Starwood properties (Sheratons and Westins) and am familiar with the quality level at most Sheratons. This Sheraton is far above average.
My room was $90 for each night, and included an in-room exercise bike, free high-speed and wireless high-speed, numerous cable channels and a work desk.
The front desk staff, bellmen, housekeeping staff and room service staff were all far friendlier than normal. In fact I stayed at a different Sheraton earlier in the week and my experiences between the two were like night and day.
The front desk concierge knows a little bit about everything and answered every question I asked.
I really didn't want to stay here, I would have rather been home, but at least while I waited to get back home I had a very pleasant experience. I recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Distance of room from elevators
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for a bellman named Charles Fletcher and concierge Mari
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ndtc
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

Stayed at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel with my wife before flying out of RDU the following morning. Our room was quite nice with an excellent bed. Free internet access was a bonus and the room was clean and comfortable. A/C unit worked well to keep the room cool and completely drown out hallway noise.

Had dinner at the restaurant downstairs with really friendly, excellent service. Front desk reception was quick and friendly. The hotel is very conveniently located just minutes from RDU and just off I-40 making it a good place to stage ourselves for an early morning flight.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank MrDoof
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2006

This hotel was not exceedingly good or bad, so I gave it an average rating. It looks like this hotel was renovated a few years ago, but I think it is already due for another renovation, as things are starting to look a bit worn down.

Pluses:
-Allows dogs free of charge (good for us, since we were traveling with our dog)
-Very comfortable bed (Sheraton "sweet sleeper" - like the Westin heavenly bed)
-Convenient location right off of I-40

Minuses:
-Room starting to look run down; bathroom looks dated
-No mini bar in room (we would have liked to have used a fridge)
-Tried to get upgraded as a corporate level SPG guest, but don't think I was really upgraded. Should have been given a "club" level room (which is the next best room and includes breakfast), but they claimed the upgrade I was receiving was to be put on an SPG floor, my room/bathroom were slightly bigger, and we had extra "amenities." All of those items were provided to me (actually, I couldn't imagine the bathroom being SMALLER than what it was), but didn't look like I was getting anything over and beyond a regular SPG member. Definitely did not receive free breakfast - was told I had to pay extra for that.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank lawahoo2001
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2005

Very friendly staff, great room with a good a/c system (essential for drowning out hallway noises).

Only disappointment was since they offer free internet in the rooms, the business center is only open 8-5 on weekdays; ie, if you don't bring your laptop with you, you're screwed on nights and weekends.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2005

We have just returned from a weekend at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center in Durham, NC. We had a king room and a double room, connecting as requested and had a wonderful time. From the time we walked in the door to the time we walked out, we had superb service. Each individual we encountered during our stay was genuinely friendly and pleasant. Our rooms were spotless and the beds were oh so comfortable! Room service breakfast arrived promptly and the food was hot and fresh. Coffee was great! We had dinner in the restaurant where we also found the food to be excellent. Try the Apple Tart with Ice Cream -- what a treat. Our waiter Ricky, was an asset to our meal. Our evening in the bar area was very enjoyable. The piano player at dinner and during our time at the bar was a very accomplished pianist. The bar drinks were strong...great! I can't say enough good things about this hotel. We will always stay there on our future trips to the Triangle area.

2 Thank samsmom
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have stayed in this hotel about 5 times since 2002, and each time has been enjoyable. The staff is very friendly, rooms clean, and pool/hot tub are relaxing. The food in the Cascades restaurant is OK, but not that spectacular. The deli/cafe is pretty good, and the little store on site on useful. Nothing is in walking distance, however, and some of the back roads to get to fast food places can be tricky to navigate. All in all a top notch hotel; I would reccomend to anybody staying the the Raleigh-Durham area!

• Stayed May 2004