“The best part of the hotel, you ask? By far, the gym!”

Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Charleston, South Carolina
“The best part of the hotel, you ask? By far, the gym!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Room: Room is about average, maybe slightly larger than average.
Pros: Large work desk area, room looks and feels fresh, newly renovated. Free WiFi in the rooms.
Cons: Very flimsy/crappy closet situation. All other furniture feels substantial but closet looks like one you would see at a very cheap apartment on a episode of COPS.

Hotel Lobby/Common Areas: Free parking and free WiFi– in the era of nickel and dimming, it’s always a major plus. The expansive lobby opens up to the lobby bar and restaurant, making for a very open-feeling floor plan which I liked a lot.

Gym: The best part of the hotel, you ask? By far, the gym! Since the hotel shares a parking lot with Fitness Connection, they’ll just give hotel guests day passes to use their facilities instead of operating their own. What this means for you: access to a FULL gym, with dozens of cardio machines, an indoor pool, sauna, free weights etc… Now, Fitness Connection is no paradise, in fact it’s a very run-down, cheap-looking gym, but, given the added equipment, you’ll surely like it better than whatever Sheraton would have thrown together for you.

Location: Offset in large business park. There’s definitely not anything within walking distance, but, if you’re staying here, it’s likely for a conference at the hotel or business very close by. It is close to the airport, and they offer free pick up.

BOTTOM LINE: When I have to stay in the area, I think I’ll go out of my way to stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center if only because the gym is awesome. Throw in the better-than-normal lobby/bar and up-to-par rooms, and you’ve got yourself a decent hotel stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jeffrey G
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear JeffreyG:
Thank you for taking the time out not only to visit our property but to leave a review on your experience with us. We take great pride in our Hotel and know the importance of providing our guest with excellent customer service. You could have chosen any hotel in the area, but we are so glad that you selected the Sheraton Imperial Hotel for your stay. We hope you visit us again in the near future.

SIHCC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed here for first time for 1 night. Free shuttle to/from airport which is only 5 minutes away. Quiet, pretty location in Research Triangle. Club lounge was very good. Free beer. Service excellent throughout with Southern hospitality. Rooms typical Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear PAQ:
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. I will share your comments with the Team. It is our goal to provide exceptional customer service with down home hospitality. We hope you'll be back soon!
NYC
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in March 2013 (and have stayed many times in the past):

Pros: good location, nice rooms, excellent Internet in rooms and public space, very nice staff at front desk

Cons: no gym in the hotel (amazing for a big hotel, access to a nearby fitness center is no replacement for a gym in the hotel); club lounge is not very good (outdated look, poor light, food is subpar, terrible coffee and the staff is too eager and all over you)

In sum, it is an okay business hotel if you have work nearby

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
chesterfield, va
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We attended a convention here this weekend. The facility is old and has had a facelift but the finishes are average at best. The front desk crew upon check in was slow, unfriendly and not very helpful. Since my husband travels a lot he is a Starwood platinum member, or whatever it's called by SPG and we weren't treated like so. Not offered an upgrade, not asked if we wanted to use our points and put in an average floor, #6. The room was ok. Bathroom small, old door, tile and ceiling was quite dated, with water leak stains. Bed was comfortable, thank goodness. Room was hard to keep at an "average temp" and it was quite annoying. Room service was terrible and I wouldn't recommend the pizza. Breakfast buffet was good, solid choices and I enjoyed my omelette. The bar was nice, good location but the bartender was less then friendly. With 3 conventions going on you would think she would be overjoyed at the chance to make good tips...nope not this lady. Kind of condescending and unfriendly...the theme of the staff. Meeting facilities are large,food ok and service staff solid. My husband got sick the last night and believes it was from the filet. I think it was undercooked. I gave him mine and had the shrimp and I didn't get sick...hmmm?

All in all if I were to visit this area. Again I believe I would choose another hotel. Just didn't make the cut for me. If hotels would just spend the money to upgrade correctly and make sure their staff is doing a good job it would make guests feel much more comfortable. Just a C grade from me. Good luck!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nikki S
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Postparade:

We are very sorry that your experience was not positive. We take pride in our excellent hotel, and we sincerely regret that your experience was not up to our normal high standards. Please be assured that we will use these comments to train our staff because we understand the importance of attention to details like the positive impact of a friendly greeting. We look forward to a future visit when you can have a more typical Sheraton Imperial experience.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed here several times before but this time my room wasn't the best. The lobby is nice and the rooms are a good size and comfortable but the toilet in my room was not mounted to the floor properly and it wobbled. Because of this the bathroom had a smell of sewage. Also the room service food was not too great this time. I had a dry chicken sandwich that I did not finish and for breakfast the hash browns were covered in some sort of tomato sauce that was off putting. Other than that the hotel is simple and comfortable for a short visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Z;
We regret very much that you were not fully satisfied by your experience at our hotel. We certainly will do a thorough inspection and review of the room in question and make sure it is up to our high standards for guest comfort and quality. We encourage you in the future to contact our Guest Services when you have an issue and we will do our best to make it right immediately! Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel and we hope you'll come back when you are in our area again.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My stay at the Sheraton Imperial was for a short night between flights. It was dark when we arrived and still dark when we departed early the next morning. Given this situation, the check in and check out were quick and efficient. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice and hot. The in-room coffee was Starbucks with a small bottle of water included for free. The free airport shuttle was quick. For my needs on this stay, the hotel made me very happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear jjb415,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel on Trip Advisor. Sheraton Imperial Hotel has a great location in the very heart of Research Triangle Park and very close to the airport. We try very hard to meet each guest's expectations, and we're very glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a conference that was hosted inside the hotel. (Sally Clarkson's Momheart conference) I was very happy with my overall experience. Friendly Staff, clean comfy rooms, close to restaurants. The only things that were a (small) frustration was the wifi and the numerous flyers in the room. There were a ton of notices in my room making me feel like I was on a scavenger hunt to get all of the information. Wifi changed from lobby to room as expected but there was no signal in the conference room and I constantly had to log in again.

Overall, great experience. I would definitley stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear QueenofdaBluez;

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online about your overall experience at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. I have taken note of your comments and will share them with the Team. Thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

SIHCC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Marriott at Research Triangle Park
SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park
Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport
Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle Park

Been to Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!