Quality Inn Dunn
$62
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe mexican restaurantbathroom floorbeds were comfortableconvenient locationinterstatemattress
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Loved the location - hotels that are right off I-95 are our favorite, because we don't waste any time trying to find hotels in town, etc. So location was awesome, parking was plentiful. That's about all the pro's we have.

I walked into the lobby which was dimly lit but cozy...to be blasted in the face by loud gospel music. The kid working at the counter was very friendly, but the lobby may as well have been a train station. There were loud, boisterous members of what seemed to be a cultural church coming in and out in droves, entering a room off the lobby - which I assume was the dining room - and every time that door opened, the music was ten times louder. Luckily our room was in the back, away from the noise.

We travel with pets and so I set up their kennels in the room and put their food out, in a dish in the kennel. Within minutes, the food was crawling with ants. We immediately tossed the food, fed the animals by hand, and spent the rest of the night stomping ants. They were in the bathroom, on the walls, along the carpet, by the door, around the shower fan and light....

The room seemed to be very old for a place that had recently been updated. Holes in carpet and walls, stains and damage in the bathroom...did I mention the ants everywhere? We caught a few ants and I brought them to the front desk at checkout (well...just trying to make my point at the time). I didn't dare touch the breakfast after staring at three different types of ants all night. The clerk, who was also very friendly, took $15 off our total charge because of the ants. She didn't argue or seem upset, and thus she earned the third star of this review's rating of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Location was good with easy access but noisy at night due to trucks leaving the interstate and other traffic. The room was clean but shabby, non-smoking but smelled like smoke, stains on carpet and damp feeling. We would not stay here again unless necessary.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We needed a one-night stopover returning from Florida, and we selected this hotel because of its proximity to I-95 and its location relative to our travels. A billboard on the highway and the flyers in the lobby say it is newly remodeled. I don't see how - it is really in need of updating.

The lobby was very promising, and the person working was friendly and helpful. It looked updated. However, the rooms were not nearly as nice. We didn't stay for the breakfast, and that was probably a good thing. It was hard to tell where the breakfast area was and other reviews here weren't good regarding the breakfast.

Pros:
- The beds did seem new. They were very clean and comfortable. We all got a very good night's sleep. No issues with the AC.

Cons:
- The ceiling hadn't been cleaned. There were spider webs and dead bugs attached. That thoroughly grossed out the kids. The dead bug on the front door also completely turned them off.
- The bathroom was out of date. The ceiling over the tub was water damaged and looked ready to start coming apart in places.
- The gap under the room door was so large, any number of bugs could have come crawling in (and I'm afraid what would happen if it rained).
- The room layout was just odd. The microwave was next to the sink, but didn't have an outlet to plug it into. The mini-fridge was just sitting on the floor. The iron and ironing board were attached to the wall next to the TV. They are the first things you see when you enter the room.
- We were traveling with other family. They had to change their room because the first one smelled of smoke (even though it was supposed to be non-smoking).

Given that the hotel was charging rates equivalent to the better Comfort/Quality/Sleep line of hotels (which I am generally quite happy with), I was extremely disappointed. At half the price, I might have said it was ok.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Location was good, room was pretty clean. price was OK
However the breakfast was in a dirty dark old dining room, we were not given silverware, napkins,yogurt was served in a bowl, milk for coffee in a glass, jelly served in a bowl, no covers on anything. The server??continually scratched her head, not a typical Quality Inn
breadfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed there one night. The claim was that it was newly renovated. Attractive lobby. Quality of the room was far below Quality standards. The reception area was impressive but that is where everything ran off the rails. The room has some creapy crawlers. In the morning the breakfast was a disaster.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple