Barrier Island Station - Duck
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Duck
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I've been an owner at this resort for 8 years. I vacation here 2 to 3 times per year. The staff is always friendly and ready to go above and beyond to assist. The accommodations are what you would expect to find at an older beach resort. They are a little worn but comfortable and clean. Who goes to the beach to sit in their unit all day anyway? The descriptions are very clear for each of the units (partial kitchen, full kitchen, queen bed, 2 twin, etc.) This being said, people who complain about their units in their reviews probally should have educated themselves before making their reservation.All information is available so there shouldnt be any surprises. It is an older resort with a ton of charm! Not to mention being located right on the ocean and one of the best swimming pools ever! If you want Vegas accommodations then you should go to Vegas! There are so many great places to eat and activities with in 20 minutes of the resort.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 22, 2008

I can only echo those negative reviews preceding this one.

All aspects of the stay were a complete mess.

I was embarrased in front of my quests and several attempts to have issues addressed produced no results.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WGOYorktownVA
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My husband had this timeshare at Barrier Isand Station before we were married. I never would have agreed to buy a part of this hell hole. It is everything people have said about it and more!! It was FILTHY, FALLING APART, MOLDY, DATED and DELAPIDATED!!! The people who work there are extremely rude. Maintenance people race around in nasty pickup trucks with cigarettes dangling from their mouths Total redneck, white trash enviroment! We will NEVER go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KMRN123
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Friends have been coming to Barrier Island for at least 17 years. I can remember coming to visit and was most impressed with this one time premier resort. As the years have gone by, the place is crumbling. The location is beautiful. I put up with this resort just for the location. The pool has been horrible in the past but the new maintenance man, Bob, has whipped it into shape. I do not like the indoor pool, though he tells me it is looking great since he has worked on it. The rec center I never set foot in. It is old, the jazzuci looks like a breeding place for herpes and the workout room has had it. The trolly has not been in service for 2 years. I always stay in units close to the beach but people who stay at a distance have to pack their car and drive to the beach area. Deck is a nice size but cheap outdoor furniture that could cave in. Bathrooms are dark and dingy. Mold in tubs, old glass doors, water pooling in tub. I stay at two units so I can truthfully say this happens in both units. Bed linens and towels cheap and scratchy. Pillows flat. I always carry my own plus my own comforter. Hate to think what might be on it. Refrigerators do not cool adequately and are old. Dishwashers barely hanging in there. Appliances and utensils outdated. Old scratchy furniture in Living room.

The location is terrific, you can walk to the village of Duck. Sound across the street but who wants to go in there with the leeches, crabs, etc. Sunset Grill is overrated across the street.

Apparently new people have taken over and are opposed to cleaning up and remodeling the place. There will be a point in time where the beach will not be why people go to BIS. The cliental is not the same as 17 years ago. No surpise here. People on vacation are looking for more comforts if they can afford it.

The beach is rocky and has dropoffs. Not easy to get in and out. Lifeguards are a plus and they rent chairs and umbrellas.

I'm just glad I did not purchase one of the units to watch it go downhill and lose money on this investment.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2008

From what I can see of the reviews and from what I heard from others while staying at the property, there is great variation in the condition/updating of the units. We rented from a long-time owner who was unable to use their unit this year. We stayed in a top floor unit in the Kinnekeet Station building. It is not meant to be a luxury resort. The unit had fairly new carpeting and appliances. There were some issues to be addressed such as cracked bathtub tiles and mildew in the shower, but certainly not horrible. The unit had a beautiful ocean view. There were a lot of stairs to the third floor, which may be an issue for some. I found the front desk staff to be helpful and friendly. We arrived in the dark and had no trouble finding the unit using the directions and map given by the front desk staff. There were numerous activities and events planned for the guests, although we did not participate in any. The outdoor pool was large and not very crowded. There were always lounge chairs available. It was very clean, especially in the morning. Bob the pool maintenance man was very courteous. He cleaned and treated the indoor and outdoor pools early each morning. We talked to a resident who had been going to BIS for many years, and she admitted that there were pool cleaning issues in the past. But, she said that after Bob started a couple years ago, the pool has been very clean. Beach was wonderful! The location of BIS in Duck was prime. It was so close to shops and restaurants. Fishbones Sunset Grille is directly across Duck Rd., the main road. The Waterfront Shops complex is practically across the road. My friend liked the unit and BIS so much that she decided to purchase a week timeshare there from an owner! I rate BIS "above average" considering the total package, including location, and also comparing it to what I would expect for similarly situated timeshare resort properties. It was built in the 80s so it will show wear and tear. One other plus is that the other guests at BIS were very friendly. Many have been vacationing there for many years and were more than happy to share experiences and recommendations to us (first timers to the Outer Banks). We felt very safe and welcome.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank girlluxe
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We have owned at BIS for almost 20 years and returned to the area for most of them. Most years we have exchanged into a different week also at BIS but a couple of times have rented homes in the area. This is also a terrific option but plan to spend at least $3000 / week to go that route. As others have reported, we have had both great and no-so-great check-in experiences. I think it just is who you find on-duty when you arrive. It is difficult for new comers to locate the units especially in the dark as the numbers are small and because of the irregular (and charming) layout of the units, not always obviously ordered. Part of the charm / frustration. We have also experienced terrific new and newly remodelled units and older, in need of serious update / maintenance units with leaking windows and non-functional freezers. I would be happy to see more work done on maintenance but realize that maintenance fees would then have to increase. We had another time share in Colorado with Maintenance fees of nearly $2000 / year for example which were very nicely maintained. The BIS fee of about $400 obviously can't match that. We have wondered if the owner's association has a large hurricane insurance policy and is anticipating the next big one to allow a total renovation?? In any case, we love the area and are so happy with the experience, we are considering purchasing another week. The location is terrific, pool and beach availability awesome and potential is great. I have never had a bad time there, regardless of the accomodations. You may just luck into a redone unit and be completely delighted. If not, the beach and surrounding area can still be a wonderful experience. I'd recommend BIS because of its charm and location but it would probably be helpful to confirm the time of the most recent unit make-over to insure you will have the best possible experience.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank busybis
Reviewed June 28, 2008

This is our first year staying in a timeshare unit we purchased sight unseen. The unit I stayed in last year in the same building, while dated, had no major issues.

This unit, 105, has many serious ones, including cracked tile, porch doors that sticks, cabinet knobs that come off in your hand and dated decor. The top problem, though, is the water! Water everywhere, coming through the walls and leaking onto the floor so much that you leave squishy, visible foot prints in the carpet. It leaks into and all along the main hallway and out of the vanity area in the MBR. The carpet is moldy, the wood in the door jams splintered and moldy. Vinyl tile is peeling up and water and mold is visble from all sides in the bathroom. The head maintenence guy commented that what would be best for this place would be a storm coming through and knocking it all down!

I feel bad for the people who will stay here over the summer as the problem is major and will only worsen, becoming more moldy and smelly and vile.

The outdoor pool has a giant ince wide crack that goes from the pool to one of the sitting areas; looks like an earthquake hit!

The ONLY thing that saves this place is it's location.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Sanderling Resort
Beachwoods Resort
Beachwoods Resort
#1 of 4 in Kitty Hawk

Been to Barrier Island Station - Duck? Share your experiences!