“Elizabeths in Duck - a very special dining experience in every way”
Review of Elizabeth's Cafe & Winery - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Elizabeth's Cafe & Winery
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Passing through Duck, I spotting the sign for Elizabeths (recommended to us by a fellow foodie). I was seized by the desire to stop for a glass of wine (and a peek at the menu). I had no idea how delightful, delicious and special this evening was going to be.
Following another couple in the gallery door (wrong door) we inquired if we could get a glass of wine. Executive Chef Brad Price pleasantly told us that although they were not yet open, Alice would be happy to accommodate us. As I passed through the restaurant, I realized were not really dressed appropriately (jeans and hiking boots), yet this made no difference in the service we received, nor in the attitude of the staff.

Alice pleasantly served us some wine and gave us some tips about the area. While we were contemplating our dinner move (Elizabeths didn’t open for an hour and we were underdressed), Leonard the owner, on his way to run an errand, struck up a conversation. Leonard is extremely personable, delightful, joyous, and a totally entertaining person to converse with! Upon hearing that I was disappointed to have missed the wine and duck festival in Duck, Leonard advised his duck would be the best, and we should consider staying for dinner. Oh my, the promise of perfect duck!

We stayed and OMG what a fabulous meal complete with awesome service. Executive Chef Brad Price is a superb Chef (an artist actually) and he is also an accomplished painter, whose work is on display in the gallery.

We started with the seared scallop in a Chardonnay pear sauce. I love pears and the sauce was the perfect complement to exquisitely cooked scallops. I had the roasted half duck with bing cherry merlot sauce. The duck was absolutely superb, moist, flavorful and the bing cherry sauce was to die for. My husband had the grilled Tenderloin Medallion served with French Courvoisier cognac porcini mushroom sauce, accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes with caramelized onions. The beef was very, very tender and flavorful. The Cognac Porcini sauce so delicious I kept requesting bites of the beef, just get the sauce. The mashed with caramelized onions were a wonderful compliment.

And just when we thought it couldn’t get any better we had dessert. I had a pot de crema (at least I think that was the name), a pot of chocolate heaven (kind like mouse but way better). It was so fantastic that I have trouble describing it adequately. My husband had a pineapple cobbler that was no ordinary cobbler. It was a totally unique. His description was although not cake like the flavor was “a pineapple upside down cake on steroids”. What an amazing dining experience. Everything from the food, to the wine to the service was totally perfect. This made our last evening in OBX very special!

1  Thank christineo_sd

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I go to Elizabeth's every time I go to the Outer Banks. I don't think I would ever consider the trip complete without it. It is not cheap by any means, but irt is worth every penny. I consider it a dining experience more than a meal. This trip was as wonderful as ever. Alice the hostess remembered us as always. Leonard the proprietor cam by and spoke to us, and Brad the chef came to our table after the meal. Deborah our waitress was very knowledgeable about the wines and servce was prefect. In fact, the entire experience was perfect. I could not have asked for anything to be any better!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

If your spouse is a wine list widow, get your allocated amount of wine list perusing time approved before you get there. I could spend hours!!!! going over all these gems. This has been an obsessed man's love for many years, it is quite obvious. And the food quality matches the wine tete de tete.

Note they do close a bit in the off season, and during season you better get your reservation in early, it only has about 15 tables. You may spend a few dollars but you will not regret it at all.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our first time at Elizabeth's Cafe and it certainly will not be our last. Since it was the off-season it was fairly empty and quiet. It was perfect for a dinner with a loved one. Alice could have not been nicer as she led us to our table. Our server was friendly and very knowledgable. We ordered the New Zealand mussels and scallop and brie soup for starters. The soup was quite good but the mussels were lacking. They were very large mussels (we tend to like smaller ones) and not very warm or flavorful. For out main course we had the tuna and salmon and both were just excellent and cooked to perfection. We found the wine list provided a good seclection and the majority of the prices were reasonable. We can't wait to go back and try some of the other items on the menu but we will steer clear of the mussels.

1  Thank Brianccc
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

As always, a highlight of our vacation to OBX! The pairings with the wine dinner were excellent! We especially loved the scallop and pâté appetizer and the Brie and apple soup. Thank you, Leonard! We hope you're in business for many more years!