“Breakfast food Great, Service Slow.”

The Lifesaving Station
Reserve with OpenTable
The Lifesaving Station is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 35 Restaurants in Duck
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located in the original—and splendidly restored—Caffey’s Inlet Life Saving Station No. 5, the Lifesaving Station is a casual, three-meal-a-day restaurant celebrating southern coastal cuisine and regional, organic products. New with the renovations is a spacious outside seating deck and large fireplace. Known for its “best breakfast on the Outer Banks” and a-la-carte Sunday brunch, the Lifesaving Station is a favorite Duck, N.C. restaurant choice for both locals and vacationers. And be sure the try the Lifesaving Station’s famous Carolina BBQ Sampler and Spring Mountain Farms Buttermilk Fried Chicken, always on the menu. The Lifesaving Station maintains an impressive wine list. Local breweries are featured while specialty cocktails feature coastal “house cocktails” and bourbons. Upstairs, the renovated No. 5 offers sweeping views of the Currituck Sound. The relaxed atmosphere is conducive to catching the game and enjoying quality cuisine.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Breakfast food Great, Service Slow.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Breakfast choices and foods were delicious, and generous portions made the outside eating experience great until we waited for the bill to get on with our day. It took forever. We didn't have dinner there because it was mostly fish, and looked expensive, so we didn't try it for dinner or lunch.

Visited June 2013
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at The Lifesaving Station, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your Lifesaving Station experience. We are glad you enjoyed breakfast and apologize for the delay in receiving your check. We do hope you will give us a try for lunch or dinner in the future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great place in Duck!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed at Sanderling so ate here for dinner and breakfast. Meals are not cheap but excellent food. Dinner on night we arrived with our 2 kids was late but service and food were better than we expected. my husband had shrimp and grits, I got the sea scallops and kids meals also available for our 2 young ones. Don't miss the duck fat fries, awesome. we also tried the fried green tomato salad with burratta cheese, delicious! my only complaint was the warm root beer given for my son's dessert -root beer float. IIt didn't really work with the ice cream when the bottle of root beer was obviously not refrigerated.
Breakfast on Father's day was another winner. Ordered the special cranberry pancakes with eggs and bacon. Large portions so beware but close to the best pancakes I've had-hot and fresh off the griddle with plenty of butter on the side.
Service can be hit or miss, especially when busy and staff seems new here but always friendly.
Nice sunsets on second floor but have a reservation or get there early!

• Visited June 2013
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at The Lifesaving Station, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We were glad to see you again! Please visit any time you are in the area.
Mechanicsburg, PA
“Still great - one of the best restaurants in OBX”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is my second review for Lifesaving. Every dish was amazing. The atmosphere is classy nautical. Service was great. Nice upscale restaurant if you are looking to splurge on a great meal. Will be back again!

“Better choices elsewhere”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had lunch here and we were really disappointed. The restaurant appeared to have plenty of staff but they are not well trained or attentive. I ordered the blackened chicken wrap which contained grilled chicken not blackened. The wrap was bland and chips stale. Best part of the meal were the pickles.

• Visited June 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience at the Lifesaving Station. We strive to provide good, attentive service and tasty food. We hate that we missed the mark. We will reach out beyond Tripadvisor.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Food and Service Missteps”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

It really pains me to have to give this place only three stars, but while all of our issues were eventually handled, I don't think we should have had them in the 1st place.

We were staying at The Sanderling so we decided to walk over around noon for lunch. When we got there we were the only table. I started off ordering a bottle of wine and that was where the trouble started. After being asked again which wine I wanted, one waitress stopped by and said it was on the way but then our original waitress came back and said our wine was unavailable. We chose another one and after another wait we were told that they were looking for it. Only after we asked about getting a glass of something to drink seeing as they had brought our appetizers did the manager come out and let us know the real issue. The key card to open the wine area didn't work so basically anything I would have chosen would be unavailable. To make it up we were comp'd a bottle, but I really felt someone should've been out sooner to explain the situation. Our water glasses also remained unfilled for long stretches of time while waitstaff disappeared from the floor.

Now, the food. We both ordered the corn and crab chowder and it came out barely lukewarm. Not sure if that was intentional, but we sent it back to be warmed since we did not find cool thick porridge like chowder to be appetizing. Next my husband had the fish and chips that he called overly breaded fish. He filled up mostly on the fries which were very good. I had the lobster roll ($22). Do not expect a New England style roll. This is more like a lobster salad on a burger bun and I found it delicious. The lobster is chopped finer than traditional, but I could still identify pieces of claw meat.

Tip: the lobster roll is also available at The Beach Bar on the back deck of The Sanderling.

My hopes are some of this was due to the fact that the resort just recently reopened. I will be posting reviews of the new Sanderling Resort and Kimball's Kitchen which I found to also be off expectations.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank SarahontheHill
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at The Lifesaving Station, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for visiting Lifesaving Station. We would agree you should have not had these missteps and apologize. We will use it to further train our staff. We hope on a future visit you will give us another opportunity and will be able to give us a higer rating.