“Lovely Soundside Dining”

Paper Canoe
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Duck
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A stunning waterfront setting serving fresh food prepared simply and with passion by our team of friends using ingredients from our own backyard. We are dedicated to your experience from the time you walk in the door. An ever changing chalkboard features daily selections from handmade pasta, locally caught seafood and rustic wood oven specialties. Ten Craft beers on draught and extensive reasonably priced wine list showcase our wood oven pizzas and entree offerings
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our first dinner at Paper Canoe in Duck last week was a very pleasant surprise! We've been visiting Duck every year for the past 10 years and had been regular customers of a restaurant that used to be in this cozy soundside building but which closed a few years ago. Located at the north end of Duck, Paper Canoe is now located in this lovely spot on the sound where you can watch the sunset over the water and eat the most delicious food from a menu that is both simple and elegant. We started with the Crab and Artichoke dip which was heavenly. Little bits of lemon in the dip added just the right touch without being overpowering. My only complaint was that there were not enough crackers, though more were promptly provided upon request. The Margherita and White wood fired pizzas were excellent, thin and crispy, though may be a bit small to call a meal for heartier eaters. The crab cakes were some of the best we've ever tasted, and this comes from my 23 year old son who is a connoisseur of crab cakes (we come from Maryland where crab is king!). My 14 ounce boneless Rib Eye with Grilled Asparagus, Beer Caramelized Onions, Bacon and Herb Potatoes was out of this world. Service was excellent and this was all topped off with a beautiful sunset! Reservations are necessary as the restaurant is relatively small. Prices are a bit high, but we found that it was absolutely worth every penny spent. This family will be going to the Paper Canoe every time we visit Duck in the future.

There are newer reviews for Paper Canoe

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I think this place could be fixed easily, but as it is it's just not very good.

Food- adequate but not worth the high prices. Roadside, red sky and blue point re much better and give better value. The pizzas are awful. The pasta was decent. The crab cakes are terrible. Go to coastal provisions or blue point if you want those. Presentation of most dishes was nice.

Atmosphere- there is loud, and then there is this. Loudest restaurant I've ever eaten in. Im fine with noise but this was over the top. Couldn't hear anyone I was with.

Service- did pretty good. The water pimped everything and it was all mediocre, but he was pretty good at his job.

I won't return. Too many better quality options for cheaper.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This review is from September 2011.

We arrived around 5:50 and the place was beginning to fill up. I let Jane and John out to get a table while I parked the car. When I went in I saw them sitting in the dining room part of the restaurant in the middle of the room. I asked why we didn't get one of the 3 tables at the windows and they said the hostess said although they did not have reservations for these tables we could not take them because of our party of only 3. Actually all tables had a view of the Currituck Sound, however the window tables were much more inviting. OK.

So I checked out the other room which was the bar with about 12 chairs and maybe 8 window tables (7 for 2 and 1 for 4). All the tables were filled but I saw chairs empty at the bar and went back to tell them that the other room had a much nicer "feel" to it.......besides I enjoy dining at a bar when having a casual dinner. So we made the move.

First thing I notice is that they have Dogfish Head 60' and Arrogant Basta*d on tap.....this is good. The barmaid is a pretty, young blond with a nice personality.....more good. John and I got the 60' and Jane ordered one of the chards....they only had two chards by the glass. The room has big windows and we are right on the sound, I mean right on. Now it is pouring....heavy.

We figure since the owner is from New Jersey and he is doing pies then they have to be good. If not his name will be mud. So we decide to have one Sausage (Italian sausage, broccolini, tomatoes and mozzarella); one Duck (House smoked pulled duck, ricotta, roasted garlic, Vermont white cheddar); and one Special (Peas, bacon, caramelized onions, cheese). For starters Jane and John had Grilled romaine salad (with feta cheese, roasted tomatoes and roasted shallot-balsamic vinaigrette) and I had the soup special, a carrot soup.

The results: my soup was awesome.....wish I could tell you what else was in it but I can't. J&J loved their grilled romaine. The pies came out in about 20 minutes after our starters....just right. They were 10" pies with thick crust. I am not a huge thick crust fan but it was excellent.....light and cooked to perfection with just a little char. J&J loved their pies.....and I have to say my sausage was excellent, ranking up there with great Jersey pizza. The sausage itself was one of the finest Italian sausages I have tasted and the mozzarella was definitely top shelf. I finished mine and J&J each took 2 slices home for lunch.

Will be adding the Canoe to our favorite Outer Banks restaurants.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I stopped in on our way back to Duck after a day in Corolla. There was a 10 minute wait, and we sat out on the back deck overlooking the sound...very beautiful. We were seated in the bar area, on the tall tables and chairs, which are not my favorite, but the table was next to the window so we went with it. Our server was knowledgeable on the menu and beers. He proved to be attentive, though a little awkward, during our meal. The food was very good...I ordered crab cakes. And my husband got the swordfish special. Both were good, but overpriced for what you get. I think I would go again, but will need to check out some other places in Duck first.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We visited the Paper Canoe on Jul 26. We had reservations for 7pm and were seated about 10 minutes later (the dining area is small and the party finishing at our table continued to talk instead of paying and leaving). Once seated, Remo, our waiter was very attentive and did a good job. In fact, in came by numerous times to apologize for the wait on the food. No apps were ordered, just the main meal and it took well over an hour for it to arrive. I ordered the crab cakes and the bottom of the crab cakes were charred (and hidden by the other items). When you cut through the cake, the hard char was visible. I did not send them back because I was not about to wait another hour for food. I did not have the time for the Chef to learn to cook on my time. Every part of your meal is charged individually and is very overpriced for what you get. As for the atmosphere...bring a hearing aide. The room reverberates sound and the din is pretty loud. The view depends where you are seated. Our guests sat so they could see west out the window to the Sound, my view was east out the window at the 2 dumpsters. Overall, I recommend you find someplace else. We visited other places and had better food at cheaper prices.

1  Thank Cottonbaler87