“great for first timers”

Coastal Kayak Touring Company
Ranked #2 of 9 Tours in Duck
More attraction details
Owner description: Coastal Kayak Touring Company named a National Geographic Top 100 America's Best Adventures. We offer Kayak Tours & Stand Up Paddle Board Tours from Corolla to Duck to Kitty Hawk, Hatteras Island, and the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge...Our tours are perfect for all ages and experience.
Washington Township, New Jersey, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“great for first timers”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My 12 year old and I kayaked for the first time on the Pea Island tour. Kelly was a capable and friendly guide; she confidently gave enough instruction to get us started. She knew the terrain and pointed out many interesting wildlife and sites. We got our money's worth in terms of time -- and enough challenge to make it feel like we had really tried something new. We may be hooked.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Suzanne1066

Louisville, Kentucky
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great service, but tour lacked things to see”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We went on a morning Maritime Forest tour in July 2012. From a service standpoint, I can't think of anything the Coastal Kayak Touring Company could have done better. Our guide was prompt, courteous and knowledgeable. The kayaks were sturdy and in good shape. The guide gave a good, brief demonstration of proper paddling techniques before the tour began and was available to answer questions throughout the tour.

The tour itself, however, was disappointing. We saw no wildlife to speak of on the tour. Mostly just trees and a covered bridge. Perhaps one of the other tours would have yielded a better experience. I would not take this particular tour again, but I would tour with this company again.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank 30StatesCounting
Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“At peace on the water”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We traveled the Alligator River at the refuge and learned so much about the area from Elizabeth. It was relaxing and beautiful. 6 of us had 3 tandem kayaks. Lots of canals and open areas as well. Fun searching for the elusive gator!!!

Visited July 2012
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Alligator River is a must!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I have lived in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for two years and I work at a resort in the area that sends resort guests on tours with Coastal Kayak daily. My husband and I finally had an opportunity to try one of these tours ourselves this past May and we were not dissappointed.

The Alligator River tour is very unique because you learn all about the wildlife in the area that you would not expect to be in such a close proximity to the beaches of the Outer Banks. You will spend three hours paddling through lakes, narrow winding waterways and get the opportunity to learn about the different vegetation and coastal habitats of the outerbanks. Alligator river is true to its name and you may even see alligators (we did!). You will also learn about various mammals that inhabit the area including bears and the endangered red wolves.

I highly recommend this tour for all levels of experience but I will warn that if you are a beginner anticipate being a little sore the next day! Thanks Joe and Michelle!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank BarneyandMelby
Carrollton, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A terrific paddling experience!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I love to kayak, so when we were planning our 50th birthday trip to the Outers Banks, we wanted to include a kayak trip. We decided on Coastal Kayak's Alligator River tour for the unique experience of seeing alligators up close and personal. And we were not disappointed. On an overcast and chilly day, we saw three alligators, one of which they estimated to be at least 7 feet long! The paddling was great and to top it all off, at the end of the tour, as the sun was setting, we got to hear the red wolves howling (what an eerie, but beautiful sound!). Joe, our guide, was great - very friendly and knowledgable. What a terrific paddling experience!

Visited March 2012