“Great week at the beach!”

Review of SA004-Miller

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
LangtoNic
Atlanta, GA
“Proximity to beach makes up for dated decor”
Reviewed October 2, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

We spent three nights here and were very happy with the location and the beach equipment below the house. That little wagon was very convenient to help carry chairs and such. The outdoor shower was a nice touch to help us wash sand off before going in the house.

Outer Banks Blue made this transaction very easy. Not having to worry about keys was a blessing. I just put the door code in my cell phone and never had to dig.

The house is older, and shows its age in places. SO much wood paneling...everywhere. The carpet was in desperate need of a good shampoo or a replacement if that doesn't remove all the spots. Windows need to be cleaned regularly to remove the salt deposits.

On the plus side, linens were provided which is a very nice feature. I believe every possible kitchen need was addressed (utensils and such, not food) It was nice having enough dishes to be able to fill the dishwasher and not have to do them all by hand. Also, the house was plenty big for three adults, though I can't imagine only having two bathrooms if each room was filled to hold 8-10 people!

We will likely use Outer Banks Blue for our next vacation, but will probably pick a different house next time. I would recommend this house to a friend with full disclosure.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location to beach
Liked least: Dirty carpet and salt sprayed windows
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Janine D
Randolph
“Bugs, Bugs and more Bugs”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 for a stay in August 2012

The Miller Cottage is quite dated. It is a two story home and has a staircase leading upstairs to the kitchen and living room area. The staircase was spiral steps, not ideal for young children. Two of my children fell coming down the stairs. But the most important problem was the bugs. One second day, after putting all our groceries away, we discovered ants in the kitchen cabinets. In the days to come there were many big species of bugs in the kitchen and bedrooms. The final straw was when my 10 year old woke up at 4 a.m. with ants crawling on her arm and in her bed. We packed our bags and left that morning, which was two days early. Although the property is located near the beach, the bug situation made it uninhabitable. I have photos of the bugs to prove it and when I asked to be compensated for having to leave early so that they could remedy the problem, I was told that all homes have ants and they would not consider a refund for the two days. The rental agency that I used, Outerbanks Blue was not helpful at all. I would never use them again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location to beach
Liked least: bugs in bed
Traveling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Sep 8, 2012
Ms. DiConstanzo,

We are sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay in The Miller cottage in Sanderling. It is also quite surprising to hear from you so long after your departure about your discontent during your stay. The issues with Ants in the property we resolved on the Tuesday of your stay with a professional exterminator. At least we thought it was resolved because we never heard back from you during your stay, and there have been no evidence of these issues since you left the property in August.
You are correct in that we said we would not give you a refund after the fact for ants in the property, and you indeed have lived up to your word in posting a review that is unflattering in retaliation for us not providing you a refund over something we feel was resolved. It is our hope that future guests will give the perspective of all reviews on this property as they consider this rental property.
The Miller is a reasonably priced and well located property in the Sanderling subdivision in Duck. The property stays very fully booked, and we've been proud to represent this rental home for nearly a decade.
We look forward to serving future guests in this property and can assure them your experience is not the norm at The Miller.
All the best from the beach!
Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2012 for a stay in July 2012

Atlanta GA
Reviewed August 12, 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Check in / front desk Service
Traveling group: Family (extended)
Your age range 45-54
New York
Reviewed August 29, 2009 for a stay in August 2009

NY
Reviewed July 9, 2009 for a stay in June 2009

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Stairs and access to the main floor
Your age range 45-54
Recommended for:
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
NY
Reviewed July 2, 2009 for a stay in June 2009
person found this review helpful

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing