“Perfect beach location”
Review of Sanderling Resort

Sanderling Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duck
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Here is why we go to the Sanderling, even though we cannot afford it. The service is friendly, constant and never intrusive. The hotel is right on a beautiful, uncrowded beach. The entire hotel is absolutely immaculate. The linens are very high quality. The hotel is close to Duck, which has nice restaurants, activities, etc. Service includes beach umbrellas and towels whenever you are heading to the beach. The hot tubs are hot. Very safe and happy place for children. It is informal and elegant at once.

Room Tip: I hate to spread the word about the Sanderling because sometimes it is hard to get a there, understa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelingProfessor63
sanderlingresort, Manager at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

While I know you don't want to tell too many people your new secret we appreciate the review. The great thing is that we were sold out during your time with us and all the amenities and services did not feel they were taxed and never should. Come enjoy our beach year round! Thank you for the review.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We spent the first week of August here and had an amazing time. I think this hotel really does the best job I've seen of making it comfortable for families and for people who are there for a relaxing vacation without kids (at least I felt that way...hopefully the people without the kids did, too!). The way they have it set up with a separate adult pool and family pool is really well done. And I found there were areas of the property that were easy to hang out with kids and then others that were well-designed for people looking to relax with the paper or a glass of wine. We were looking to do both so it was really perfect. We stayed in one of the brand new tranquility suites and it was perfect. Very spacious and comfortable for a family of four since we had our own separate bedroom and our kids had the pullout couch in the living room area. I thought the Housekeeping staff in particular was really friendly. The people at the front desk were also great and super helpful. We dined at the Lifesaving Station on our first night and thought the food was great -- also an easy place to take kids that manages to still be really yummy. I also had an excellent massage with Kathy at the Spa. Overall, just a great experience. It's expensive, but we were literally right on the beach at the height of the season and I truly felt like I got my money's worth.

Room Tip: Loved our tranquility suite. Brand new room added last summer as part of the renovation and it was...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

We are so glad this was a great family vacation for you and you enjoyed the new tranquility rooms. Thank you for recognizing our associates which will share with them. They truly enjoy making your time special. During the renovation there was a lot of thought put into the flow of the new amenities and preserving the areas for couples while creating a more family friendly environment. We appreciate your thoughts that we succeeded. We hope your future plans include a visit to the Sanderling.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

This was our first trip to the Outer Banks and we would definitely come back to the Sanderling. The service was great. We liked the fact that we could call down and have umbrella and chairs set up. We could even request placement...south end/north end. The staff is very friendly and do their best accommodate any requests. The rooms were clean, but I have to agree with an earlier reviewer about shampoo/soap replacement. Even when the bottles are left out and empty, they aren't replaced unless you make a call. We did order a picnic basket twice. It was very convenient but realize they tag on an additional room service charge, even though you pick it up at the Sandbar. The food was good, but when we ordered a second time, portions were 1/2 the size and we were missing items. Lastly, the tranquility pool is great b/c you have to be an adult to swim there. We brought our teenage daughter with us and were glad that no one cared she wasn't an adult. I think the idea is to keep out the noise and little kids.

Room Tip: If you want to see the ocean from your room, you need the third floor. Second floor you look at the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike1295

We are so glad you enjoyed your trip to the Outer Banks and decided to stay with us. We will work to ensure consistency with the picnic baskets and review our procedures for the soap/shampoo replacement. We hope to see you back next season.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I was here with my girlfriend and our 1 year old son Jack. From the time we pulled up to the front door until the time we left, the service and people there were top notch! The bell men were nothing but friendly and helpful. The front desk staff had smiles on their faces and well as kind words to say.

Our room was nice and big enough for what we needed. The bed was SOOO comfortable!!
Elizabeth at the front desk was very helpful with any questions we had as well as getting us reservations at local restaurants.
Our son had fun at the kiddy pool and the beach was clean. The weather could have been better, but that is not the resorts fault.
We definitely coming back next year, ( but next time I think we are going to bring our adult friends and leave the kids at home. :) )
All I can say is I loved this place and you are sure to as well. Tell your friends!!!!

Clarence Steele

Room Tip: The south wing has the best rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for spreading the word and planning your return trip with friends. We are glad you found the property so inviting and will pass along your kind words to our team. They are amazing. See you soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We just spent a few days at this resort, and it was amazing. Elisabeth checked us in and she was the best front desk person ever. She was so informative and professional, and she helped us plan our visit to Duck. The rooms were wonderful with great linens and toiletries. The restaurant at the hotel had the worst service ever, but the one across the street was wonderful, and the wines were priced very well if you prefer premium bottles. We will be back for sure. One tip, try to avoid checking in Saturdays, the traffic is terrible, and can add an hour to pass through the small town.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely, but did not have a tub, so if you like tubs, you might want to ask. The ocean s...
2  Thank GeneandJulie

Thank you for your review and we appreciate the feedback. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations in the Lifesaving Station and will continue to work to improve that. Note to other travelers: Saturday arrivals are a turnover day for all the homes in the area which affects July 4th to Labor Day weekend. We hope you will come back to join us again soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I know some think the Sanderling is a bit pricey, but the outer banks can be during the peak season. The Sanderling is well worth the money. We have gone to the Outer Banks many times and have stayed in other hotels and even rented a house, but this was our first time at The Sanderling. It will not be my last time though. The resort thinks of everything. You really don't need to bring anything with you other than your clothes. I loved calling in the morning and having them set up an umbrella and chairs on the beach for us without any extra fees. The adult pool was excellent for those of us who came for a quiet get away. Our room was very nice and loved the carafe of water left for us every day. The s'mores kit was a very nice touch. Loved all the wood furnishings and flooring as well. My only regret was that I did not order a picnic lunch. I intended to and forgot. I saw several couples on the beach with them and was so jealous. Maybe next time. Nice job Sanderling because I am not one to write many reviews unless I am extremely impressed!

Room Tip: Loved south wing.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traci1203

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful review and so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad you decided to try the Sanderling during your Outer Banks vacation. We'll see you back soon for that picnic lunch on the beach!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I am back for a second year. As I said last year, the location is wonderful. Right on the beach. Great pools. Love that there are beach chairs and umbrellas available to all guests. However, having been here now 5 days, here are some additional observations:

1. Sandbar staff is great. Friendly and efficient.
2. Front desk staff are great as well.
3. Beach personnel are helpful and work hard to set up beach chairs and umbrellas for everyone. Only recommendation is that when the ONE garbage can by the top of the stairs is overflowing, to empty it out. Overflowing every single afternoon I was here.
4. Rooms are spacious and clean.
5. Housekeeping is good except for the fact that they don't seem to want to give us shampoo or conditioner or body wash. I leave my empty ones right by the sink and I get back and still don't have new ones. Has to call twice to get replacements.
6. Adult pool service is almost non existent despite the $25 dollar resort fee per room. Examples:
1. Garbage/dirty dishes pile up from people who are by pool.
2. dirty towels remain discarded on chairs and no one clears them so people think there are no chairs available
3. pool water has a layer of nastiness at one end that looks disgusting
4. If you are lucky enough to see a server at the adult pool, they tell you they are only there until 2 because they then have to do work at a different station,
Why 2 pm??
5. No towels in sight. Maybe they are there at 10 am but once the bucket of towels is gone, they aren't replenished.

I spoke to the manager today because after 5 days, I was frustrated. She listened and immediately sent someone to get the garbage and discarded towels. Clean towels just arrived about 30 minutes later. So talking to management works. Just frustrated that I needed to talk to someone. Should be automatic when people are paying $400 plus a night!

All in all, it's a gorgeous facility but these kinks have still not been addressed. I would absolutely return because it's the nicest hotel in Duck. But I so wish I didn't have negatives to

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Chaseferrari

We appreciate you returning and having us another opportunity this year. You are absolutely correct these items you mentioned are not acceptable and while you should not have experienced them we have discussed solutions to resolve each of them. We hope on your next visit we can get an A+. We appreciate the review and allowing us the opportunity to continue to meet traveler's needs and expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
#1 of 13 in Nags Head
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sanderling Resort? Share your experiences!