$348
$339
GardenInn.com
$159
$149
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
$169
$215
Orbitz.com
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$359
$253
Hotels.com
$160
TripAdvisor
1,111 results
All reviewslifesaving stationfire pitthe life saving stationfamily poolbeach housethe outer bankssand barkimball's kitchentranquility poolnorth wingadult poolturn down serviceblue pointchairs and umbrellass'mores kitoff seasonmain building
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

No need to repeat all the positive reviews ... They're on the mark.

Great place for families, large rooms, outstanding beach, nice restaurants, helpful staff, no hidden fees, nice mix of good restaurants a short drive away.

My only suggestion is that it would have been wonderful to have beach-side and poolside drink service.

Stayed: June 2014
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

So glad you enjoyed your visit! Unfortunately, we are not able to serve beverages on the beach by NC Law. (You can purchase at the Sandbar and taking it out to the beach but we are not able to offer service on the beach) We do offer poolside service.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

First off, let me warn you that when coming to the Outer Banks, especially the Northern part, avoid arriving/leaving during the weekend. There's pretty much just one way in and out of the area. We left on Saturday, and traffic was backed up on Route 12, and also on the Chesapeake Bridge (and way beyond), for a good 25 miles. Apparently, everyone is headed to their summer homes on Saturday morning, and probably leaving on Sunday evenings. Of course, we were going the opposite direction, so it wasn't bad. But I felt sorry for all the people waiting, likely for hours, to get to their destinations. We just lucked out by arriving on Sunday night and leaving the following Saturday. During the week, traffic was not bad at all.

OK, on to the Sanderling. AAHHHH--pure relaxation. I have never felt so pampered. When we first arrived, it was a bit overwhelming, with a wedding party going on, and so many buildings. But the staff were so welcoming and helpful, it didn't take us long to get acclimated. Before long, we were feeling right at home.

There were a few negatives, but they were certainly outweighed by the positives. Firstly, I had asked for a bottle of Prosecco in the room when we arrived, and it was not there. It took me talking with the front desk--who agreed that it had been ordered by me--and it arrived shortly after that. I did notice that some of the screens on the windows were in ill repair, although it was too warm to leave windows open anyway. The TV reception was a little sketchy at times; not sure if it was due to the wind, but occasionally the screen would go to a message of interrupted service for 20 seconds or so, then return. The only other thing I would have changed is to have some kind of ledge in the shower for shaving my legs.

Now, on to the positives. We were in Room 204, a King Oceanside Premium Suite. Because of the dunes, there are no ocean views, as many have mentioned. But from our room, we could see the ocean through a small opening in the dunes. And there are several decks on the dunes, with very comfy chairs, for viewing and relaxing with a drink, and within a short walking distance. We went up to a deck pretty much every night, and watched the evening come in over the ocean, enjoying a bottle of wine. So we didn't really miss the view from our room.

Our room had a nice long balcony with 2 "lifeguard" chairs that were lovely for being outside, even during a storm one night, where we watched the lightning show. The space was roomy, with attractive furnishings. This room had a sleeper sofa, a closet, and its own bathroom, so it could be suitable for an extra guest or two. Both the living area and the bedroom had ceiling fans, such a nice touch. I imagine if it had been cooler, it would have been lovely to have the doors open (there were 2 doors leading to the balcony), the windows open, and the ceiling fans going. The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows were heavenly, making for sound sleep. The bedroom also has an MP3 player/alarm clock, which I really appreciate, as I love my tunes.

This room was in the south building, and each morning in the lobby of the building, were coffee, tea, and apples, until around 11 a.m. (If you want coffee later in the day, grab a cup in the morning and warm it up in your microwave later.) The south building is located adjacent to the Lifesaving Station Restaurant, a nice place for a full breakfast, or lunch. We ate dinner there the first evening, and it was very good also. OR, you can walk up to the Beach House (which is also the place where you check in) and get a fancy coffee, and a roll, croissant, or quiche (ala carte.) Some time during your stay, be sure to walk up the stairs at the beach house to see both the Sound AND the Ocean.

There are two outdoor pools, one for families, and the one by the south building, which is for adults only. That was so lovely, to be able to relax, read, hang out, without hearing the noise from the kids. There are also two fire pits, I imagine for the same reason. The fire pit was great for toasting marshmallows (you get a little s'mores kit in your room), and there was frequently a lady playing guitar there, which was nice.

The beach, we learned, is one of the nicest in the area. Although there are very few seashells, there are a lot of interesting rocks, polished smooth from the ocean. You just call the front desk, tell them you're headed out to the beach, and when you get there, there are chairs and an umbrella all set up for you. The chairs are quite nice, too. You can order a picnic lunch, pick it up at the Sandbar, and have a lovely lunch on the beach also. We actually did that twice--reasonably priced, too.

Since we came here to celebrate our 25th anniversary, we decided to splurge and eat at Kimball's Kitchen the day of. Definitely worth it!! My husband had a filet (steak), which he said was perfect. I had the pan-fried grouper, a special that day. I have had grouper before, and enjoy it, but this was the best preparation of it ever. Again, the service was impeccable, and we felt quite special and pampered. It's probably one of the most expensive meals we've had (as someone here said, not for the faint of heart, financially), but so worthwhile.

Every single staff person we encountered was polite, courteous, and spoke with us every time. We had been hoping for a memorable way to celebrate our anniversary, and The Sanderling certainly was.

Room Tip: If you have children, choose the North Building. If not, choose the South Building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank purplehatartist

Thank you selecting the Sanderling to spend your special Anniversary! We hope you will join us again. Thank you for your review and also the photos. Glad you got the R & R and pampering you had hoped.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I enjoyed my recent stay at the Sanderling Resort, but everything was not perfect. First let me say that this is a very nice hotel situated on a beautiful, quiet portion of beach in Duck. The umbrella and chair service, pools, and fire pit were very nice. I really enjoyed relaxing on the chairs on top of the sand dunes and seeing the waves. I also enjoyed the music played each night around the fire. One hidden gem at the hotel is the pier across the street near the spa. I went over there one evening and it was such an incredibly beautiful area. The Premium Suite I had was very nice. The hotel has different arrangements for their suites. Our suite had a loft, which we were not told about even when we checked in. It was not what was pictured on the hotel's website, but we really enjoyed having the extra space and the loft idea was cool. I would caution other guests if they have any issues with walking steps. The room had steps to get up to the bedroom and some of the floors are only accessible by stairs. This was not a problem for us, but if you have any kind of walking problems or health issues, be sure to note that when making your reservation (the hotel has rooms on the bottom floors and the South Building has an elevator). I am positive the hotel would work with you to make sure you had an accessible room. The bedroom upstairs was very warm, but when you turned the air on, it got very cold downstairs and remained warm upstairs. We just kept the fan on all the time upstairs to help with the warmth. The view was nice looking out at the ocean, but had an obstruction to the right because of the Sandbar. The main negative with the room was that it was dusty in places, especially the air returns. In addition, the door stop was off the wall in the bathroom and upon examining it further, I found hair in the floor and in the bath tub (see attached pictures; these were taken within the first 10 minutes of arrival in the room). The room was very noisy. I was able to hear doors closing all around us. One recommendation I would have is to add a fan to the balconies. It was very hot during our stay, and a ceiling fan on the balcony would have been really nice. Even though I know I booked the most expensive room, the other standard rooms are not cheap either. I felt for the price, some things should have been better. It does not live up to other Forbes Four Star properties that I have stayed. I had a very enjoyable time, but for the price and level of hotel, things should have been better.

Room Tip: Be sure to confirm with the hotel if you have any restrictions regarding climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank travel12335

We are glad you found us and apologize we did not live up to all your expectations. Certainly cleanliness is very important and will be addressed. We are planning on making some changes to those Loft Suites over the winter. We do hope you will give us another opportunity.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I received the mother-to-be massage while staying at the Sanderling Resort and could not be happier with the service. Not only was Emily's massage the best prenatal massage I've received, but the best massage I can remember. The pressure was excellent and Her scalp and face massage were amazing. My only regret is that I didn't book the 80 minute massage.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you for recognizing Emily at the Spa. We will share this with her. Good luck with your new arrival and hope you can come back for more pampering in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Everything about the Sanderling was very nice, especially the staff who are friendly, helpful, and efficient. We had room 215 in the south building - an entire wrap-around porch with chairs, although it does overlook the parking lot. But wow, the walls were paper thin. So much noise early in the morning - it woke us up three days in a row. We even heard a suitcase zipper from the room above! Oh well... Bring foam earplugs to sleep. Nice beach - romping dolphins, diving osprey and pelicans, and skittering ghost crabs.

Room Tip: 215 south building has a wrap around porch, but a view of the parking lot
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 103BruceX

Thank you for your review. 215 is one of our new rooms and sits alone facing west (towards the sound) in the South Inn. I am not sure where the noise may have been coming from but we will investigate that further. We appreciate your kind words on the staff and experience overall and do hope you will return. We will find another room for you next time.