1,129 results
All reviewslifesaving stationfire pitthe life saving stationfamily poolbeach housethe outer bankssand barkimball's kitchentranquility pooladult poolturn down servicenorth wingcasual restaurantchairs and umbrellasblue pointoff seasons'mores kit
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We took advantage of a Groupon deal for this resort. The inn is north of the very quaint town of Duck, NC. The service was top notch. The room was on the first floor of the main inn and had a view of the sun deck (since it's winter, obviously nothing to look at). The room was inviting and cozy. They have a great common area upstairs with plenty of comfy seating and a fire.
I imagine this place is very expensive in season.
There are lots of great attractions nearby: Lighthouses at Bodie Island and Corolla, Aquarium on Roanoke Island, and the Wright Bros. Memorial, all within a 20 minute drive of the inn.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the ocean, even the sound. Second floor rooms have view of the ocean. Not sure if they'll do another Groupon deal, but it was really a fantastic deal (room, breakfast, and wine)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flynnc
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I hadn't booked a place to stay in early January and the property was referred to me by a co worker. We were driving down from Maryland we after deciding not to stay in Virginia Beach, I called the Sanderling to inquire about availability and rates. The agent on the phone was pleasant and provided the rate. I told him we'd call him back or show up. After arriving in the area and seeing a Holiday Inn Express we decided to stop. The rate was $89.00 for a Sunday night, but we asked for King Room they said they only have queens. So we left. We headed to Sanderling as the rate was quoted was $119 for king bed. We felt we were lost and called and spoke to the same agent and he guided us to the property as the addresses are bit unusual for the area. Upon arrival Travis greeted us and checked us in. I told him it was my birthday which is was (I showed my license) and he said he's give us great room. Travis provided us with a map and gave us an overview of the property. We gathered our bags and went to the room. Upon arrival there was an envelope on the door. Inside was an ornament and birthday card wishing me best wishes. I've been in the hospitality industry 15 years and this is what it is ALL ABOUT!! Our room was amazing with a wonderful deck outside. We were on the first floor so we couldn't see the ocean, but we could hear the waves break. The only suggestion is to move the bed from the wall that can see the door way as the light from the hallway comes in. The bed would be better where the TV was positioned. The bathroom was a great size also. Due to the time of the year we didn't get a chance to enjoy the amenities, but the room product, sheets, and pillows were all excellent. I would highly recommend the property and Travis made it memorable!!

5  Thank Lasvegasll
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Please thank your co-worker for recommending us and so glad you found your way down through Duck to the Sanderling to spend your special occasion. We appreciate the recommendation regarding the bed location and will take a look at that. The feedback helps us make future experiences better. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed at the Sanderling in September for our Anniversary, and it was a beautiful resort. It's very quiet and we had Dinner in town one night at Aqua Restaurant and they had excellent food (creative gourmet/not too expensive). The only issue we had was that we made reservations at the Sanderling Spa, and my aesthetician was late to the appointment - and I did not get my full treatment time. But other than the timing issue the experience at the spa was wonderful.

I would also be careful with the reservation staff - as I called a couple times and was told there were less expensive rooms available, and then they tried to tell me that there were only much more expensive suites available for our stay. When I argued that I had just called and there were less expensive rooms, they magically found rooms available. We stayed in the North Inn, and it was significantly less expensive than staying in the Main Inn - I would recommend it. (basically the same experience, without the extra expense).

Room Tip: If you want to save but still stay at this resort - ask to stay in The North Inn or South Inn. The Ocean side rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rosehaus
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We arrived at the Sanderling on a cold, windy winter night in January of 2012. I have been a visitor to the Outer Banks since 1972 but had always stayed in the Kitty Hawk area. The staff was wonderful as was our room. We ate in the restaurant. The menu, service and our meals were excellent. The wine list was as well.

This is the best hotel on the Outer Banks. It will our hotel of choice on the Outer Banks henceforth.

1  Thank d0wr1ght
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We decided to go to OBX last minute for NYE and the Sanderling was amazing. The dinner at the Lifesaving Station was great. We definitely enjoyed the outdoor hot tub one of the nights and enjoyed the night sky! We had a great time!