“Outstanding dinner!”

Shelton Vineyards
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Dobson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1999 by Brothers Charlie and Ed Shelton, Shelton Vineyards was envisioned as a new agricultural resource for an area once dependent on tobacco farming. Located in the heart of North Carolina's Yadkin Valley, Shelton Vineyards is 180 degrees from any winery you will find on the West Coast. The distinctive characteristics of Shelton wine come from the unique soil and climate of the Yadkin Valley. This helps give Shelton wine an inimitable taste that holds its own against any wine from any area in the world. We invite you to visit us, try our wine and see if you agree that our wine is as unique as the area we are in.
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We took a detour on our motorcycle trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway to check out the NC wine country. Shelton is a small vineyard, but they offer a nice brief tour and a tasting of six wines. We especially liked the Cabernet Franc, and had a bottle with dinner.

Speaking of dinner, the Harvest Grill, at the vineyard, offers delicious, carefully prepared food and excellent, very attentive service. The chef has a kitchen garden from which come most of their vegetables. My husband had the veal porterhouse (who knew)--2 inches thick and perfectly done. I had the crab cakes--LOTS of crab.

While the vineyard tour and tasting were nice, I cannot say enough good things about the dinner.

1  Thank Jjuju
"wine flight"
"day trip"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We arrived at the wine tasting counter at 4:15 on a Monday. One of the owners was at the front door and introduced himself and chatted for a few minutes. We ended up with a perfectly lovely employee who suggested that we take a tour of the winery before our wine tasting. We mentioned that a tour would run us late for the wine tasting and she said that would be no problem at all.

She took us on a tour and then she led our wine-tasting. She was knowledgable and informative. She also figured out which types of wines we preferred and she added a couple of wines to the list for us to try! Simply amazing. And, yes, we bought some wine. It was excellent.

We ate dinner at the Harvest Grill--again wonderful service--and good food. We walked on the grounds after dinner--they were lovely and well-kept.

Kudos to the Shelton management and employees. We will be back.

Reviewed May 27, 2011

May 21, 2011 provided me the opportunity for my second visit to Shelton Vineyards. I was there about 3 years ago during the NC autumn season and what an impressive vineyard with wonderfully helpful staff.

This year, friends from Puerto Rico, my adult son and I took a detour from the highway, after a zip line experience in West Virginia, to enjoy the Shelton property.

Driving through the gates of what Charlie and Ed, brothers who own the vineyard, have created is like taking a deep breath for relaxation. ahahahaha..........

The last time I visited I had lunch in the Harvest Grill and it was EXCELLENT. This time, we tasted a salad dressing they now bottle and sell and it is wonderful. Call and order it. They only bottle one of the dressings they serve in the grill.

In the wine shop, there was a large wheel at the entrance so the visitors could spin it for the option of a discount on a case of wine. Nice touch!

Our friends from Puerto Rico had never enjoyed a hay ride. SO, thanks to Shelton Vineyards and our tractor driver, David, all of us including visitors from Australia hopped aboard and enjoyed hearing more about the vineyards. As we rode through the vineyards, I was so impressed and proud of this jewel of a vineyard that the Shelton brothers have created. David stopped in a field and told us more about the vineyard history and the community involvement by Charlie and Ed. Both brothers and staff live on the property.

Although our trunk was full, we squeezed some wine and salad dressing in the trunk. Some of the salad dressing will make its way to Puerto Rico.

ahahah.............If the Shelton Port is not on the wine tasting menu, please ask for it. I've been to Portugal and visited almost all of the Port Houses and Shelton's Vineyards makes a port that will rival many of those in Porto, Portugal.

Congratulations, Charlie and Ed and thanks to all the staff who make this vineyard a place that I and others can enjoy!

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Did their tour and wine tasting. The grounds, including their nearby Hampton Inn hotel are beautifully maintained. The tour was interesting and thorough. For my taste, most of the wines were too dry, even the fruitier wines. Did like one zinfandel which we purchased. We did not try any of the more expensive "reserve" wines.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2010

This vineyard/winery is easily accessed from I-77 in Dobson, NC. The grounds are spectacular. The owners have taken great care to make this a lovely place to visit. There is a tour of the winery (about 15 minutes) which is pretty much the same as other winery tours. There is also a wine tasting room and nice gift shop. But the real attraction are the grounds surrounding the vineyards. They are just lovely. There are picnic tables scattered throughout, and the owners encourage you to bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the scenery. No outside alcoholic beverages are allowed. There is also a restaurant on site, The Harvest Grill. We recently attended one of the vineyard's summer concerts by the Embers, and even though we had rain, we still had a great time.