“Perfect Place to Get Away”

Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dillsboro
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My family has been going to Dillsboro for many years. Everytime we have gone, we have chosen to stay at the Best Western River Escape. We are never disappointed. Our trip this past week over Easter vacation was no different.

What we like:

Service- The staff working at this hotel is extremely attentive.

Safety and Security- I have always felt confident in this hotel/area. At night, the side entrances lock and all people entering must go through the front desk area. The pool, exercise room, and business area require keycard entry as well. The parking lot is well lit too. All rooms open to inner hallways too. All rooms also have a small safe that you can lock using your keycard.

Cleanliness- Sparkling! Not just the rooms, but all areas of the hotel: lobby, pool area, parking lots, halls, etc. I talked to a group of contractors at breakfast one morning that were working in the area. Their company had put them up here for a couple of days. One said, "This is the nicest hotel that I've ever been put up in for my work."

Rooms- There are several types of rooms to choose from. Some are located on the front side of the hotel overlooking the parking lot. For a few extra dollars, you can ge one on the backside that overlooks the Tuckasegee River. I'd certainly splurge for the riverview rooms. The balcony overlooking the river is great! There are three floors, the higher floors do have a better view of the river.

You can get a standard, 2 queen room. Suites are slightly larger, and then there are jacuzzi suites as well.

The bathrooms are reasonably large, stocked with shampoo, toothpaste, soap, and lotion. The bathtubs are larger than other hotel rooms I've been in.

Other basics include TV, WiFi, microwave/fridge (I think that these may only be in the suites).

Breakfast- Included in the price and delicious! Choose from waffles, biscuits, gravy, sausage links, eggs, muffins, bagles, toast cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt to name a few. In warmer weather, you'll want to eat on the deck by the river. Hot cookies are served at the front desk most evenings as well, but they do get gone quickly.

Things for the Kids- The pool is quite large, about 25' x 60' and there's a hottub in the corner. Towels are provided. The pool is indoor and very clean as well. Being the nicest hotel in the Dillsboro area, this hotel gets a lot of business travelers and fewer families. On many occasions, we've had the pool all to ourselves. What a treat!

Outside, just across the parking lot is the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. Although rail traffic has decreased in recent years, you can still see coaches and cars parked on the sidings. You might catch sight of a freight train passing as well. Inside the hotel, there is an electric train that runs above the front lobby area. My kids love to sit and watch this as well. The staff was always helpful in turning the train on for my boys. Heaven knows they probably asked them to turn it on about a hundred times!

Location- Dillsboro is not an area packed with amusement parks and go-carts. Don't come here expecting the hustle and bustle of somewhere like Pigeon Forge. I love Pigeon Forge, but it is not a relaxing trip. Dillsboro is. Still, there are things to do that aren't too far away: the Fun Factory in Franklin, ride the train in Bryson City, visit Cherokee, raft the Tuckasegee, go for a hike.

Dislikes- Nothing. This is the best hotel that I've ever stayed at. As a family, we don't look for and can't afford the glamourous hotels, but I wouldn't trade this one for any other one. It does fill up quickly, especially during special events with the train or at Western Carolina University just down the road so call early. They do give discounts for AAA as well.

If you're going to be in the area, I would look here first.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor has the best view of the Tuckasegee River. The riverview rooms are a little more ex...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tuckasegee
bwriverescape, General Manager at Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Thank you for your thorough review of our property! You certainly touched base on so many of the things we have to offer. All of our guest rooms do have microwaves and mini fridges. We certainly do our best to ensure our guests feel comfortable, respected, safe, and welcomed at our River Escape - and I appreciate you noticing and sharing your experience with others.

We always enjoy having your family stay with us, and will look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best Wishes,
Vick Patel

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed here on March 31, 2012. Location is awesome - on the riverfront. The room was spacious, the furniture was very nice. Everything seemed clean, fresh, and new. The staff was not overly friendly, but were courteous and efficient. I forgot my toothpaste so they gave me enough to use during my stay. Breakfast was very good - one of the best of it's type. There were several hot entrees including my favorite waffle machines.
The amazing thing is the value: I paid less than $70 using my AARP discount. The value of the breakfast was about $10 making the net cost of the room under $60. I can't remember a better hotel value. Bottom line: I will stay there again, I wish I could've stayed longer, and I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I chose a mountain view room which is less than a riverfront room. If you fish you can access the T...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Our extended family will be moving to the Dillsboro area and we were anxious to find a place to call home while visiting them. This hotel definitely beat our expectations. The staff were all polite and friendly. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Our room was on the 3rd floor (the top floor) and we had a balcony that overlooked the river. We woke up every morning to the beautiful sounds of rushing water- make sure you book a river front room! The breakfast each morning included waffles, cereal, bagels, eggs, sausage, yogurts, muffins, etc. The pool and spa were clean and perfect for ending our day. It is within walking distance of downtown Dillsboro and it's neat shops. I highly recommend this hotel. Oh, I googled a coupon and saved 20%! We will be back!

Room Tip: River front room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Wonderful place to stay. Right on the beautiful river, in the quaint town of Dillsboro. Hotel was spotless, comfortable, breakfast was great. We had a room with a hot tub and it was wonderful. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub and an outside patio area. The hotel's staff was friendly and when our remote didn't work, they changed it out immediately. We loved this place and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Get the jacuzzi room, has a balcony facing the river.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cruisegirls
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We are first timers to the Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites, but I assure you it will not be the last! On our trip up we had car trouble, so I called the hotel to jus let them know that we would be late arriving. Well to my surprise the balcony suite I was hopeing for turned out to be a patio suite instead(My fault) The hotel has a first come first serve policy! Which certainly went in our favor. We used the patio door more than the room door for in and outs, coffee, the pool, whirlpool, the beautiful riverview and sitting area it jus could not have been better. And which my wife smokes outside, it was so nice and lit up that not once did she nor myself was worried about her sitting outside reading or smoking. Thats where we spent most of our time jus watching the river and of course the ducks and geese. The front desk clerk "Melissa" was such a help, the hotel is very lucky to have a person that represents them the way she does! The room was great, very clean, the indoor pool was awesome... But the view from our room of the river and moutains said it all.... Gorgeous! Will be staying here more! Already made reservations before we left for latter...If you want a terrific stay go here!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The location is great; right off the highway but very quiet. The lobby is attractive and the river view is great. But the room (323, I think) very disappointing. The carpet had a hole in it. The lamp shade was torn. The furniture was scuffed and damaged. The bed sank in the middle making it uncomfortable for two. And it wasn't soundproof; I could hear people talking in the next room. Breakfast didn't impress me either. They had run out of yogurt, milk and the only non-sweet cereal by 9:15 and didn't replenish anyting until we were walking out the door. Not what we expect from a Best Western. I truly wish we had looked around town for a more comfortable hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chicksfly000
bwriverescape, General Manager at Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

I do want you to know that we are very good about resolving issues immediately, and record even the smallest of requests or complaints in our system. I double checked our records and none of these things were ever mentioned during your stay. In the future please let us know while you are here so we can fix any problem you may have - it is our goal that you leave satisfied and ready for your next trip to the River Escape.

Again, thank you for the valuable feedback. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

First let me say that I usual do not frequent Best Westerns. I have found that most are subpar to average to say the least. Not very nice chain in my opinion however this hotel is an exception to the rule! I stayed here for one night to stay on the river on my way to gamble the next day. I must admit that the hotel was great!! The rooms very clean, nice ammenities, nice beds and linens. The view from the balcony room could not have been more pleasant!! The ducks going by on their way down stream was an added touch!! The property itself is great. Also there was some people cannoing down the river as well. The hotel in general has been well maintained in my opinion. It just goes to show you it's not just the name sometimes but the actual management that is responsible for a hotel's up keep. The lobby was beautiful and great. I usally would not stay here but now that I did I must say it was amazing and can't wait until I can stay once again which won't be long already booked another stay! The only negative that I could find was the indoor pool was ice cold and the whirlpool did not bubble that much! The staff was ok for the most part. Some where nicer than others. The girl working that evening couldn't have been more helpful and friendly as to give suggestions for dinner. I just wound up staying in and ordering a pizza so I wouldn't miss the great views that night!!! All that is left to say is wow great job and I will defintely put this hotel on my list of approved ones!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay on the river side!!!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rodney1991
bwriverescape, General Manager at Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

I want you to know how much we appreciate your detailed review of our property. I have shared your comments with our staff and we were all thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay so much with us.

Best Western's new descriptor program should help you determine what you can expect from each property. For example, we are now a PLUS property, which means we must maintain certain higher standards and have increased amenities for our guests. The program has been a great addition to our Best Western family and I hope you will find it useful in the future when making your travel plans.

We make every effort to ensure our property is in pristine shape for our visitors and we really appreciate that you have noticed. See you next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dillsboro
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sylva Dillsboro Area
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 6 in Sylva
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sylva-Western Carolina Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
Harrah's Cherokee Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!