“Honest tasty food in a friendly local environment”
Review of Restaurant X

Restaurant X
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant X is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 36 Restaurants in Davidson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the epitome of local "ma and pa" places - a tad more sophisticated than some, but just as real and natural and friendly as you can imagine. The owners (Chris, who is the chef and his wife Chris, the maitresse d') are from England and Ireland - and are gems. Davidson is a college town, and I'd surmise that a lot of the local regulars are from the College. It's the kind of place where you'll find yourself talking to people at the next tabel - even if that isn't your regular style. The staff is efficient and friendly, the service is prompt, and the price is right.

The food is all REAL -- prepared not re-heated from packages - and tasty. Chris justifiably prides himself on his soups - check the day's specials and get one. The menu is far more than "local diner" - with such items as Asian Style Pork Belly (trust me!), a great Seared Ahi Tuna over soba noodles (one of my favorites), and well-done versions of lamb chops, brisket, filet mignon, tilapia, etc. Not a HUGE menu - but very fine coverage of cuisines. I haven't had a bad one yet. Feel free to experiment with something new - or simply count on a good experience with one of your favorites.

And save room for dessert: you've GOT to have the banoffi pie. Forget about calories - it's killer!!

3  Thank JoelKrugler
There are newer reviews for Restaurant X

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

We recently ate at Restaurant X. It is a small restaurant but they have a great menu. Caesar salad was good. Desserts were very good! Size of entree was a little on the small size.

1  Thank Robinson5366
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We visited Restaurant X for the second time last night and it was even better than the first time! I had the pumpkin bisque and the grilled pork tenderloin special & my husband had the Caesar salad & the chicken pasta special, and both were absolutely dee-lish. I would have licked my bowl & plate clean if hubby had let me, and I never order pork in a restaurant because it's so often tough or undercooked. This was cooked perfectly to my liking and the sweet potato puree and braised cabbage were to die for- a combo I never would have thought of that worked perfectly together.
The staff is friendly and attentive yet unobtrusive...just right, and the atmosphere was warm & cozy.
I was surprised to see that this tiny restaurant wasn't packed on a Thursday night, but we often think because it's so small we probably won't get in... maybe others, like us, don't realize that there's more seating than it appears. We'll be back for sure.

1  Thank krsailor
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Restaurant X is just south of downtown Davidson in what appears to be, believe it or not, an old repair garage. The setting was bright, pleasant, and unpretentious, just perfect for people who want excellent food in a relaxed setting. There is convenient parking outside.

We were there on Davidson Family weekend, but booked ahead of time. The restaurant was busy, but the service was prompt and first-rate. Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable. For what it's worth, everyone in the restaurant seemed to be having a good time.

We ordered four different entrees and all were excellent. We also had the delicious chocolate dessert. I thought the price was very good for the quality of the meal.

We have also dined at the Flat Iron Restaurant. We like both restaurants. The Flat Iron is a little fancier and is in a newer building. Restaurant X is a little more casual and somewhat more intimate.

We would recommend Restaurant X for a nice meal in Davidson.

1  Thank ElaineAndGreg
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I went there with another couple tonight. Wine was great for the money, but the food wasn't worth the price. Fish special was bland, and my husband tried the Angus burger which was barely mediocre at best. Waitress said he could get burger medium rare, but it came out well done. Hamburger bun was Walmart quality at best, and just a bad meal in general. My husband who never leaves food on a plate only ate half the burger. Waitress was very nice and brought a free dessert based on my husband's polite feedback, but even the free dessert was bland in taste. We won't be going back.