“Decent place for lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Windermere, Florida
“Decent place for lunch”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Dan River Family Restaurant is one of the few choices to eat near the Hanging Rock State Park. As such, there seemed to be a steady stream of people coming in. There were both regulars and passerby's like myself. The restaurant itself isn't anything spectacular, but functional in nature and quality.

From the outside the restaurant looks like one that locals would frequent. Inside the decor is nothing spectacular or worth looking at. The chairs were not the most comfortable to sit in for any extended period of time, so would recommend a booth if you can get one.

The menu offers simple fare that includes sandwiches, burgers and main courses. The food itself was good, but nothing spectacular. The staff was nice, but not always attentive to the customers (other than the locals). I had to get their attention for refills, and they only asked if I was doing when I was complete with my meal.

The Dan River Family Restaurant is worth stopping at if you are in the area. Just don't expect very much and don't mind paying a little more than what you should.

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank wbullseye

Goldsboro, NC
“Please don't eat here”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was recommended to us as a nice family restaurant...not! We didn't care about ambiance, but were looking for some good food. I ordered a small ribeye, applesauce, and french fries. The steak was that thin sandwich steak like you make cheesesteak sandwiches from only fattier, and the applesauce was a container that is sold in 8 packs and they just plopped it on the plate without heating it, or even removing it from the plastic cup that it came in. One waittress for the entire place and she never did stop back by our table. We were going to get dessert, as we were still ravenous, but she never came back. When my husband went to pay with a debit card, she (waitress/cashier) couldn't do simple math when he asked her to round it up to include a tip for herself. I think the only other place to eat was in Stuart, Va which was a bit of a drive, but it would have been so worth it!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank NCJasper
New York City, New York
“Southern Home Cookin'”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After an unexpected stop in this lovely area we just needed a quick lunch and this was recommended by a local person. If you like Southern "meat and three with sweet tea" cuisine then this is your kind of place. Plain, unfussy and unpretentious with good pulled pork corn bread and southern style veggies. On the other hand, if you are looking for some kind of artisanal haute cuisine you will be quite disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank AtlanticTyger
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Come hungry!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stopped for breakfast before hiking in the near by state park (Hanging Rock).
we were greeted warmly and had coffee within minuets of sitting. I had the ham & cheese omelet with grits and a biscuit. I should have said no to the biscuit but it was to good to pass-up. I will hike an extra mile! Hubby went for two eggs over easy, bacon, hash-browns and A Biscuit!!! Every thing was cooked to perfection. I believe it was the best H&C omelet I've eaten in ten years. The coffee was fresh and never stopped coming to the table. All of this and for way less than you would pay for fast food. Looking forward to our next trip to Hanging Rock just so we can stop in for a great meal. I will remember that it is a LOT of good food and make sure I am very hungry!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank whiskmagic
“Rudeness at it's best!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Rude is an understatement for this place. Driving in the place looked very welcoming, but thats where it ended. The lady running the place that day treated our whole group like trash. Regulars say that she was the owner, but I hope not. We were very rushed and uncomfortable.

2 Thank SimpleMan82