“Kids weren't happy, but I don't care!!!”
Review of Judaculla Rock

Judaculla Rock
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Cullowhee
More attraction details
Owner description: Mysterious hieroglyphics, supposedly carved by Indians, adorn this large boulder.
Reviewed January 26, 2014

When I trucked two kids, 8 and 14, to this rock, they complained the whole time. I DON'T CARE! It is educational! LOL! This is a big rock in the middle of a cow field with etchings from Native Americans on it. I thought it was a great stop nearby our cabin that we were renting. Worth it if you are nearby. Don't go out of your way unless you are a archeologist or anthropologist.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Exciting site to visit with huge boulder covered in pictographs from another age! Educational signs help inform the viewer, but the mystery of the Judaculla Rock remains powerful to all who see it! Accessible site - but visit with care and consideration as it is on private land.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This historically significant petroglyph site is worth the drive. We went on a warm autumn day with the leaves drifting down around us as me moved into the valley where the site if found. There are ample signs describing the significance of this soapstone. Originally used to make bowls, and still having cuttings leading to new bowls never completed this became a story stone. We were in awe to see what remains from the weather. The place felt full of Spirit to me. I'm so glad we drove down to see it.

1  Thank ruthandvern
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Yes, its a bit out of the way, but this is a significant historic site that is intriguing and mysterious. Simply driving to it is part of the experience as you leave the main roads to wind your way back into the county amidst beautiful hills and forests. This is a large rock that has been recording petroglyphs for at least a thousand years. It has been incorporated into the mythic tales of the Cherokee and invites your own speculations as to what the symbols signify. No one truly knows. Either the county or state has done a fantastic job of creating a setting for the rock to be enjoyed. There is a platform that curves around the rock and excellent signage which explains what is known about the carvings. Included as well are old photos of the rock that illustrate the interests in its origins among settlers. I visited here in January 2013 before the current signage was installed and the addition makes a huge difference in the experience. I would encourage you to make this a visit if you have any interest in the history of this area before the coming of settlers and the European perspective. Gazing at this reminds you that there are other ways to experience life which lie outside of our own understandings.

6  Thank SkipJAtlanta
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Petroglyphs are rare on the East Coast, given the climate and soft limestone. The county and state have cooperated with the land owners to preserve this large carved stone, and developed a small park with a easy access wooden walkway to ensure its view in all weather.

Well worth the drive!