“Foodies Beware!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Galax, Virginia
“Foodies Beware!”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

This is not the place to eat if you're looking for great food and a quality dining experience. However, it is a favorite with locals (there aren't many options) and my in laws, who are native Virginians, LOVED it.

The menu consists of local favorites and if you're not a fan of southern food STAY AWAY.

I had excellent service and the dining process is unique: each person receives a check and you pay next door at the office. No cards accepted, but there is an ATM so you can grab enough cash to cover your bill.

The restaurant is wheel chair accessible with ramps and wide aisles.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank WendyNairobi

Lake Norman, North Carolina
“Don't Go Out Of Your Way”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We have heard about this place for years, so decided to give it a try. An interesting old mountain setting specializing in family style dining - fried chicken, country ham, seven vegetables, biscuits and cobbler. Food is mediocre with canned vegetables & fake mashed potatoes. Slaw was very good as were the biscuits. Service was prompt & friendly. Bathrooms are horrible!!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Popadoupie
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Drive as fast as you can !!!!!!!”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Drive as fast as you can PASSED this place. We go to Boone for Thanksgiving weekend each year. We have gone to Shatley's several times . But I never intend on going back. First of all we had a reservation for 5 @ 11:00 for lunch , We arrived at 10:50 I was told that it would be 11:15 we'll we could wait 15 minutes no problem. 11:15 came 11:30 came and so I went in the office and ask in a nice way how much longer ? We were told no idea they were still serving breakfast . 12:00 came no one came out and said anything to us about how longer it would be . We'll 12:30 came I had had it I was ready to go . So my husband and son went to the office and the lady at the counter said not much longer my husband replied in a nice matter we were told that 1 hour ago when the lady on the other side said well don't believe everything you hear in a nasty tone . We'll as the door closed the dining room door open and one lady yells out lunch come and get it ! Like calling cattle in from a round up ! And people were coming from all sides . As I stated earlier we had a reservation @11:00 no matter that was over looked. We were seat and we're told that turkey was one choice or chicken we ask for chicken we had at turkey all weekend for 5 people they send out 4 small pieces of chicken and dried up ham . 4 pieces of chicken for 5 adults my husband ask for a refill on the chicken and enough to go around the entire table the waitress came and said it would 10 minutes on that. 10 minutes passed and she came back to say that it would be 30 minutes on the chicken but the entire time chicken was being wheeled out by the truck loads threw out the restaurant . We asked for our ticket and when to pay that 90.00 bill and only after the money was in hand was I asked how it was in a calm voice I replied the worst dining experience of my life 4 pieces of chicken for 4 grow people and biscuit so hard we could have skip them like rocks in the pond out back, the lady replied do you want some chicken I pointed to the clock and said I have been in this place for 2 and a half hours I do not intend to stay around for dinner. Run people run!!

• Visited November 2013
13 Thank Sandra M
Killeen, TX
“Not Worth the Wait!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I came with a friend and family on a Saturday. Since we wanted to take our time on the drive up to enjoy the fall colors, we did not make a reservation. What a mistake! The place was packed, and we waited 1 1/2 hrs for a table for 4. In my opinion, the food here is just average country fare. We ordered off the menu. My aunt brought bottles to fill with spring water at a spigot on one side of the restaurant. The spring water was refreshing. Local lore claims that the water has health benefits. The drive here was nice, but I would not come for the restaurant. Cash is the only accepted form of payment.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank fabfeline
High Point, North Carolina
“Nightmare of an experience....get back in your car and drive as fast as you can down the mountain.”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My family and I went to this restaurant today. First of all there was total chaos with the sign in and wait list. There was no organization to the entire process. There were large groups trying to pay for 50 people and they were paying in one dollar bills. They tied up the entire restaurant while some cashier was trying to sort it out. What was worse was there was no movement in the line nor any one stepping in to help. Just herded cattle waiting for someone to do something.I suggest closing the entire restaurant and just fill the trough for the large group to gorge on their food. One man went to complain that he had been there two hours. No one from the restaurant cared or responded to him. They ignored him and were counting the money for the large group. Members of that group then starting buying their hammocks and ham. We waited for as long as we could endure the stupidity and lack of concern for their patrons. The good news is others go fed up and were leaving. Thank God the large group got their gut full. No meal is worth this torture.

• Visited October 2013