“Great little gem in Corolla”

Metropolis Martini & Tapas Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Metropolis Martini & Tapas Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 85 Restaurants in Corolla
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
New Jersey
“Great little gem in Corolla”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Don't be deceived by the strip mall. We just this week had a lovely meal at Metropolis. Creative food with a real farm to table feel, which was refreshing among a sea of so-so touristy establishments. Unique cocktails and offerings and the interior had a very chic feel. We tried many things and nothing disappointed, but we were especially fond of the tenderloin dish and the she crab with heirloom tomatoes. The staff was friendly and very kind to our 14-month old who enjoyed interacting with the lovely wait staff. Highly recommend.

• Visited July 2014

Duck, North Carolina
“Chatting, lingering, enjoying good food and drink with friends.”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Metropolis is a tapas and martini bar. Easy going, small portions, good wine,beer and drinks. You go there for great taste, slow pace,and a relaxing experience. It's pricey, but very good. Everything is fresh, as local as possible, and individually prepared. Yes, sometimes it may take longer than 2 seconds to get your wait staffs attention, it is not annoying. Think " European" style vs go go America. That's one of the reasons I like it so much. Try things you don't normally try, you will be surprised how much you like them here. For example, the Fois Gra is outstanding the way they prepare it. Braised pork cheeks, outstanding, lobster risotto, excellent.if you want a nice, slow, enjoyable nite of good food and drink, this is the place.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank misterajs
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Creative food”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stopped by with my wife to spend some quality time over drinks and food. We were both pleased with the taste, quality and strength of the drinks. My wife tried 3 different martinis...all delicious. I had a beer from the rotating tap and a crown on the rocks...again all very good.
We shared several plates over 3 hours and each one was extremely well presented and very delicious. Best of all we were not rushed in any way. We will return for another enjoyable evening next trip.

• Visited May 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Walking on eggshells with the wait staff”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Let me say that I have sat on this for several days as I have only one other time submitted a bad review for any establishment. The reality is that, generally speaking, people work very hard and, occasionally, there is one bad night amongst the good. However, this one really needs to be shared. We were a party of 9 celebrating my daughter's birthday. All adults. Because I have a few high maintenance dietary needs - vegetarian and allergic to mushrooms - we called in advance, that day, to make certain my needs were realistic and were told there would be no problem at all. We arrived, and the manager/owner? was very cordial and had our table ready. We are a fun group, but very aware of our surroundings. In other words, no one was rude or obnoxious to the wait staff or to anyone else in the restaurant. From the get-go, however, the woman asked to wait on us was clearly unhappy with doing so. Although she responded to a request when asked, she was clearly unhappy and to "catch" her was virtually impossible. When you feel like you're walking on egg shells to make a simple request, the server doesn't make any eye contact, never cracks a smile, and is clearly upset with "waiting on tables," there are issues. It could be that someone called-in sick, and since I was later informed that she was the bartender, perhaps she was angry with the owner that she had to wait tables when she has the distinction of being the bartender? Not sure. Although we called in advance about my dietary restrictions, she was unhappy to have to check with the chef, but did so. Again, did it, but clearly was not happy to do so - to the contrary, very unhappy to do so. Every time she brought something, however, without fail, we were ALWAYS cordial to her, thanking her in a very polite manner, hoping that would pull her out of her funk. But, it wasn't to happen.. Let me say that there is a remark on the menu that poses the question of "What are a few dollars among friends, no need to split the check." We were 9 people and shared, at the beginning, that we would want to split the check, but that it wouldn't be bad. 3 checks: 3 on one; 1 on one; and 5 on one. No one shared food, and this is a very simple, customer-friendly request. On two occasions, when I had to get up to get the server's attention, she made comments that she was not going to wait on us. On the last time, as I was standing there, she told the owner that she told another server to finish with us. Let me say that my food was very good. This is such a shame because service really is everything. And, this was nothing short of horrible. My husband remarked that it is the lowest he has every tipped. And, I do know that one of our party did react in the same way. Tips are intended for service and when you are made to feel that you are putting someone out by being there, it's a slap in the face to those who work hard to serve and be appropriately rewarded when you leave a tip. And, when you feel, every second, that you're putting the wait staff out, and she clearly felt she was too good to wait on tables, ownership may want to cut their losses and pull the shingle in. In contrast, you will want to read my review of Mike Dianna's Grill Room from our visit two evenings later, and this owner may want to send his/her staff there for counsel and direction. Finally, if you think that my opinion of the food being very good got lost in the midst of this review, I assure you that it was lost in the midst of a very bad evening.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank cindygolden
“Very average food and service”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

We had eaten here before on a previous trip and wanted to have tapas again. We were disappointed in the type of selections and then in the taste of the dishes we ordered.
On this evening there were too many dishes that were either "hot" or spicy. It limited what dishes you could order is you cannot eat these types os foods.
We thought the dishes we ordered sounded good, but were disappointed in all three. The crab cakes had too much filler, the lobster risotto was lacking the lobster and it was too dry, and the scallops were ok, but after you get use to "dry" scallops, all others seem watery.
So we went to another restaurant up the street and had three really delicious appetizers to feel like we had had enough to eat.