Corolla Wild Horse Fund, Inc. Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the non-profit organization that manages the herd of wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs on the northern beaches of Currituck County. Our mission is: To protect, conserve, and responsibly manage the herd of wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs roaming freely on the northernmost Currituck Outer Banks, and to promote the continued preservation of this land as a permanent sanctuary for horses designated as the State Horse and defined as a cultural treasure by the state of North Carolina. Take a "Trip of a Lifetime" to see the horses with those that care for them, all proceeds directly benefit our treasured wild mustangs!
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Since this group is nonprofit, we expected the vehicle used for the tour to be no-frills, but it ended up to be downright dangerous. And the guides are more suited to be wildlife preserve employees than tourism workers, so their level of enthusiasm and communication skills is on a different par. We understood that the money would go to help the horses so we were OK with less comfort and entertainment, but it did go too far....

As we rode along the beach, the kids started to complain of headaches and then they both fell asleep! I thought that was unusual since they are older kids (12 and 17) and they had plenty of rest. Then I noticed they were bright red so I figured they were burning up since there was no A/C in the old junker and they were in the back seat with windows that didn't open, or they picked up a virus and suddenly developed fevers--but simultaneously?

Soon my husband in the middle seat with me got a headache. I was at the open window and felt fine. When we got back to the office my kids ran to the bathroom and washed their faces and then they felt OK, but my husband said he was dizzy and could barely stand up. He went off behind a bush and vomited. All the way back to the hotel he was still very ill with the headache and vomited more. He couldn't go to dinner that night; he stayed in the room with a cold cloth and eventually recovered by morning.

Any auto mechanics out there figure this one out? The three of them probably were affected by carbon monoxide fumes leaking into the body of the old truck. Remember I said the kids in the back were bright red? "Cherry red" is how you describe the color of skin affected by CO poisoning. Well the children are young and healthy so they got through it OK, but it affected my husband with hypertension much worse.

We didn't figure any of this out ourselves. When we got back home a coworker knew exactly what had happened and said we were lucky the kids didn't pass out or die.

Sorry, I say go with the profit-mongers instead, have a good time, and live to tell about it!

3  Thank catdogdoc
in 9 reviews
"take photos"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Of the many tour operators in the Corolla area, this group actually takes care of the horses. Shunned by the USFWS as an invasive species but a major tourist attraction, these long time inhabitants of the Outer Banks are seriously threatened with extinction. This nonprofit uses its revenue to care for and protect these animals. The knowledge of the organization's staff is sought when other tour operators don't know what they are seeing. And that staff knows where the horses are and can even identify them by their tracking codes. A very informative trip.

3  Thank DrJim43