“Loved it!!”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We came upon the Salt Water Grill by just driving around, and walked in at dinnertime. I'm so glad we did! There were four of us, and we all ordered something different - shrimp and grits, fried chicken, salad with fresh tuna, and chicken for the little one. All were amazing, and even the child's chicken was delicious and not your average chicken fingers. Will definitely be back!!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

As previously posted, I am eating my way through both menus at SWG - something different each time and everything has been equally great.

If I was forced to pick a favorite it would be burger (cooked to temp) for lunch and Crabcakes for dinner and no, they are not Maryland Crabcakes - with great respect for my friends from Maryland, these are far better.

Previously I raved about the fried chicken and I still do - it is so different from what you probably expect that it proves that southern comfort food can be gourmet!

I've had 3 lunches , including the day of the Chamber of Commerce Ribbon-Cutting, and 3 dinners with family and friends each of whom is a foodie and we all agree this restaurant is a favorite and a must-go for visitors to the north beach area of the OBX.

Again, I must advise that the cheerful service is contagious. It is so nice to enjoy great food prepared by folks who take pride in what they do and served with genuine hospitality.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

New restaurant that is nicely decorated, clean, and offers very good food and service. This easily is the second best restaurant choice in this plaza behind Aguave Roja. I wouldn't even try the others, but this is worth a trip. Our party went for dinner and had the seafood pasta, fresh catch, and the kids meals. Everyone was very happy with the quality of their food. They bring out freshly made chips as a starter which were fantastic. Great beer selection. The only drawback was the dessert menu, which was limited.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Salt Water Grill gets a solid ok from us. We had three meals (tuna, fresh catch, and pork chop), a salad (which proved to be the favorite), and dessert (banana pudding). The food was better than a chain restaurant, but not exactly gourmet. It was missing the slight touches that make food truly exceptional. My tuna was slightly overcooked, the veggies in the risotto did not seem to be fresh, the snap peas suffered from serious overcooking, and the chop was a little salty. Nothing terrible, but nothing to knock anyone's socks off either. The salad was pretty good, definitely our favorite. Cornbread croutons are a great idea! The banana pudding was a good attempt (but perhaps you need a true Southern cook to knock that one out of the park), with the brûléed bananas being the highlight.
Our server was great. She made sure to ask questions of the chefs, because we have a toddler who cannot have gluten or eggs. She was very, very helpful with that and making menu suggestions.
Just can't help but consider what that amount of money would have bought at a good restaurant in another town. If you can stomach the gourmet price-tag for an ok meal, then this is definitely worth it. Just don't expect too much and remember you're in a tourist town.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The nicest restaurant I've been to on the Outer Banks. The food was delicious and different from anything we get up north. I had shrimp and grits and I was pleasantly surprised at how deliciously it was prepared. The menu, salad, home made chips, dessert AND wine selections were plentiful. At first it was difficult to choose my dinner selection. We were a party of 7 so we each ordered different dinners from the menu and all of us raved about our dinners. The staff were all friendly and were all attentive, making sure our dinner experience perfect.

I would definitely recommend visitors to the Outer Banks stop by and enjoy a great meal at Salt Water Grill!