“Condescending and rude staff”

Corolla Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Corolla's premier Watersports location. Corolla Watersports is located in TImbuck II, Corolla's nicest and most diverse shopping plaza. We offer all new four stroke Yamaha Waverunners, top of line Parasail boats, Bentley Pontoon Boats, new Perception Kayaks, Stand-Up Paddleboards, and Future Beach Paddleboats. All of our equipment is first class and we have the most experienced and friendliest staff anywhere on the Outer Banks of NC. We focus on fun and safety. We have a beautiful soundside pier where all of activities take place, and the public can come to watch the famous OBX sunsets. We also have a 18 hole mini-golf course that leads you through plush landscaping, several holes on our private island, and sound views.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The front desk staff were polite and professional, however, the man at the dock from whom we were supposed to get our wave runner was rude, threatening, and made me ask for my money back without using the wave runner. The waterfront staff member looked high, and spoke to us while chewing on a large bite of pizza, and picking at his face. He threatened no less than 5 times during his 2 minute safety spiel that we would be financially responsible if anything happened to the wave runner and that this was possible since it was a shallow day. He condescended to us by saying we would get one warning and then he would come out and make us come back in without a refund if we didn't follow the rules. Before starting his safety warning he rudely yelled out to 2 women who were using paddle boards that they had better get out of the jet ski area. I was so turned off that my group of 4 immediately asked for our money back. If you don't want to be condescended to by a twenty-something staff member who appeared intoxicated while running a motor sports business, I would highly recommend that you rent wave runners elsewhere.

10  Thank Shell499
Watersports252, Owner at Corolla Water Sports, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Shell 499,
I would like to respond to your negative review of Corolla Watersports. First and Foremost, no employees here use drugs or any type of intoxicating substances. Our employees are enrolled in random drug testing consortiums and are CPR/First Aid certified. Claiming that out employee appeared intoxicated is a very strong accusation bordering on slander. I assure you that he was not "high" and your assumptions are clearly way off base. Secondly, concerning the kayakers: Kayakers and Waverunners are kept in seperate areas purely for safety reasons, because allowing the two types of craft in the same area is inherentely dangerous and we are 100% focused on safety. I am sure that he seemed to be yelling at them because he had to raise his voice so that they could hear him over the water at a long distance. Thirdly the "threatening": We have been in the waverunner rental business since 1991, and we have had ZERO accidents in that time period. Waverunner rentals are extremely fun but we must take safety extremely seriously or else someone could get injured. It sounds like to me that you did not agree with our safety rules, chose not to ride and recieved a full refund. I hope that in the future you will chose your language more carefully as not to slander a young man in his twenties trying to do his job properly so that all our customers HAVE FUN and STAY SAFE.

There are newer reviews for Corolla Water Sports

Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you're going to ride a jet ski or go parasailing, you want a company whose employees know what they're doing! This group was comprised of experienced and well trained people who understand that safety must come first. Having said that, I recommend that you do not allow your teen to ride the jet ski unless he/she has had some experience with these. Otherwise, have an adult get on the jet ski with them until they are confident in their ability to ride one. For parasailing, your teens will enjoy gliding up into sky above the sound. It's an experience they won't forget, and from what I could see, this company has an excellent safety record. It's not cheap, but hey, it's a fun memory they'll never forget!!

4  Thank MySunsetProse
Watersports252, Owner at Corolla Water Sports, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the postive review.