“Not every two guys coming here are together”

Bacchus Wine and Cheese
Ranked #33 of 86 Restaurants in Corolla
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I will preface this by saying the 15 minutes I spent in Bacchus Wine and Cheese was not bad, just incredibly awkward.

Myself and eight friends came to the Outerbanks on vacation and all in our mid-twenties we planned on drinking....a lot. Also, in our mid-twenties we are poor. That being said, my friend and I drove in a separate car down and decided to get the first two nights worth of alcohol including three bottles of champagne as kind of "hooray to us" for planning our first large vacation.

The only place we were close to was Bacchus' so my friend and I went in and there was no one in there so it was easy to walk around, then a man walked up to us and asked if we were looking for anything in particular. I just said 'champagne' because I don't know the difference anyways, i'll drink anything. He first showed us their top shelf champagne (think Cristal) which was upwards of $250 a bottle. Not what we were looking for. He implied that we were celebrating something (thinking we were gay) and it wouldn't have been unsettling if the other staff didn't look over at that very moment. Perhaps they saw senses the awkwardness.

After conveying that we were poor he told us where their 'bottom shelf' champagne was and shuffled off, kind of rude in my opinion. But hey, we got champagne, and everyone in our group drank it on the beach at sunset. We still won you confused old man!

There are newer reviews for Bacchus Wine and Cheese

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A great place for a cornucopia of cheese and wine. Give yourself plenty of time to explore the store's offerings. Worth a visit!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Pretty good sandwiches and impressive selection of wines and imported cheeses! I highly recommend the St. Andre' and the St. Angel! Creamy, buttery deliciousness! Worth popping in for.

1  Thank Marcy M
Reviewed August 28, 2013

So I'm used to the Cheese Shop in Williamsburg...a meal there for my entire family is probably only $5 difference, but the sandwiches are better. I had the Pine something on Sour Dough. I did enjoy my sandwich, and I liked that it came with chips and a pickle. My husband had it on French, not as good. My picky one ordered a turkey sub, and my son ordered something with Salami. We enjoyed our meal, it was $40. Not the best sandwiches I've had in the universe, but a good place, and we liked picking out our sodas in "real bottles". The Ginger Beer is good.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family indulged me and stopped in Bacchus, so I could buy a bit of cheese. I spied the Huntsman right away, which was a double layer of cheese with two layers of blue Stilton and a Double Glouchester outer layer. (see Photo) I knew I had to buy some of that, but wanted to know about the Guinness cheese and the Horseradish Cheddar. I was given a nibble of both, and I decided to get some of the Horseradish as well, since the whole family tried a bit and liked it. The staff is knowledgeable, and there were actually quite a few folks on board to serve. There is more than just cheese here, obviously, but I was VERY please with the selection I found there.