“Nice and peaceful”
other travelers have booked this property
4x4 area Ocean
Grave Digger
OCEAN Beach
Kitchen
B/BAR
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Nicholas...
“Nice and peaceful”
Reviewed June 7, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

The house was so nice and peaceful. The neighborhood was clean and had security driving thru it. It was easy to just relax and enjoy the beach and pool without having to figure out what activities we were going to have to do that day. Thank you so much.

Tiffany P
“Vacay”
Reviewed May 17, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

Very nice stay, found out that everything you could need is within 5 minutes of the house. Only about 15 steps to the beach. Very quiet location, would recommend staying again.

May 18, 2017
Thanks Tom
korrine w
“Perfect family getaway!”
Reviewed July 8, 2016 for a stay in September 2015

This was perfect for our family! The house was very roomy and just a short walk to the beach! There was a really nice grocery store less than two minutes away and it was such a quiet area! Would recommend staying here to anyone!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jul 9, 2016
Glad you had a great time!
Janthony0...
“Very nice great location.”
Reviewed July 4, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

The house was great, my family an I had fun there.
The house was comfortable and close to the beach and many resturants and stores for shopping.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jul 5, 2016
Grad you had a good time. Thanks for being good people! Hope you come back! Tom
patsnell1...
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great Location and beautiful house”
Reviewed June 27, 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

The house was extremely close to the beach, which was very nice, and we were usually able to find a somewhat isolated area, since our village was isolated itself. Community pool was nice and not too crowded. Deck had a nice view, and was shaded in the afternoon.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The closeness to the beach
Liked least: The inability to use the hot tub
Traveling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Jun 28, 2016
Grad you had a great time!
momdailey
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed June 12, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

House is in a great location, short walk to beach, pool and shopping. The only issue we had was with the internet service the first few days. There are a few quirks with the house, but nothing that prevented us from having a fabulous time

Liked best: location
Liked least: bathrooms
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Jun 29, 2016
Glad you enjoy!
RedFlag77
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“VERY dirty with ROACHES, bad landlord experience - stay away!”
Reviewed March 30, 2016 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

NOTE: This property used to be called "Al'most Wasn't" until March 2016 when it changed to "Almost Heaven".

We stayed at this vacation home with our small kids in the last week of August and first week of September 2015. We picked it because we had stayed nearby before and it is well-situated close to the beach and Harris Teeter (good when you have little kids). Booked it through VRBO, spoke with the owner, and everything was fine until we arrived. I really wish I had a good result to report in this review, but as soon as we got there we began to regret it. Read on to see why.

THE GOOD:

- Kitchen well equipped with everything we needed.
- Located in a perfect spot about 3 minutes’ walk to the beach
- Has a community pool a minute’s walk away
- Close to grocery store

THE BAD:

EVERYTHING ELSE! Where to begin? Have a look at the photos attached.

CLEANING: The place was FILTHY! The bath tub was full of hair, the mattress covers were filthy, and the rug was full of crumbs. We spent three hours as soon as we got there, vacuuming, washing mattress pads full of stains and other people's hair, cleaning the hair-laden bathtub, picking up the dirty paper towels on the floor, and removing the thick layer of dust on the tables and surfaces. There are scuffs all over the walls and a simple coat of paint is long overdue.

We found mouse droppings in the kitchen drawer.

The best thing was not one but two three inch-long cockroaches which greeted us in the living room area at night! They were joined by a third a few days later.

We have stayed in beach houses before, but were shocked by this one. At the beach, relaxed and a little shabby is OK but basic cleanliness is NEVER negotiable.

The hilarious part is that the owner charges renters a “cleaning fee” – really, he should pay US for doing the cleaning for him!

SAFETY: There are a couple of things about this house that make it hard to be confident about having a family vacation there with small children. First is the staircase to the loft. Our son fell down a few stairs on day two because it is insanely steep. It’s not a staircase, it’s more of a ladder. That would be OK if there were some secure way to close access to it, but the gate provided is not fixed to the wall in any way and as a result not strong enough to stop a determined toddler. This caused a lot of problems for us. Second is the AC unit. It has a warning label right on the front of it saying that it contains fiberglass insulation particles of which, when breathed, are known to cause cancer. But it is not properly filtered,
with an old and dirty filter simply sitting on top of the unit housing rather than correctly mounted. This raises a concern about safety, especially with little kids, and shows you the attitude of the landlord towards proper maintenance.

DECK AND OUTDOOR AREA: The top-floor deck would be pretty nice, facing east with the sound of waves and nice sea air, if it weren’t full of old broken chairs and a wrecked, rusty table. The ground floor area outside the main entrance was similarly disorderly, with a big, filthy, covered hot tub explicitly not for renters’ use, and assorted broken patio furniture scattered about. The lawn did not appear to be tended at all. The outdoor shower works, but is in an enclosure with shelves crammed full of assorted junk, half of it broken. There is an old, very rusty charcoal barbecue in the garage area. I’m a fairly easy-going person but I wouldn’t put my food in that thing.

LANDLORD: This was the crowning glory of the experience. We complained civilly the next morning to the owner (Tom), about the state in which we found the place. His response was to offer that his (angry) cleaner come back and clean after we had just scrubbed the house for him for hours! We refused, as the house was already clean from our scrubbing and we want PRIVACY on vacation. We figured we’d make do.

Once we saw the cockroaches a day or two later, we told Tom this was not acceptable. We spoke by phone, and tried to come to a compromise. I asked him to refund the second week of the stay so we could go somewhere else that was suitable for a family vacation. He was apologetic but reasonable, and we agreed by phone that he would refund us the second week and we’d spend our second week somewhere else, as long as I didn’t lodge any complaint against him.

The next day, I received a notice that our reservation had been cancelled, but nothing about a refund. So I called VRBO to ask if a refund had been initiated, and was told it had not. I didn’t complain to VRBO – I just asked if a refund was in process. I then informed Tom by email that VRBO told me the refund needs to be initiated by him through their online system.

Later that day, I got an email from him saying he thought everything should be really clean because we had cleaned the house that the cleaner "already did" so we should stay and no refund would be given!

When I asked for clarification, he said we hadn't given his cleaner a chance, the cleaner told him they did a good job (!) so too bad, basically - there's no refund if "you cancel".

While it is true that the contract specifies no refunds, the contract also specifies that the landlord must provide the rental in livable condition upon first occupancy by the tenant. And he had made a verbal contract with me to refund the second half of the stay.

So I called him asking why my reservation had been cancelled without issuing a refund. He left me a voicemail a little later saying that the deal was off because I had “talked to VRBO”. Apparently, this made his silent business partner “mad” so the two of them decided to abrogate our agreement without further discussion but not before they cancelled my reservation. At this point I informed him that I would remain in occupancy until the end of the period specified in the contract, regardless of his cancellation of my reservation. We stayed the second week and were very unhappy about staying in a dirty and roach-infested house, but we had no choice at that point.

I was very disappointed with Tom’s business practices. I held up our agreement, but he decided I hadn’t so he backed out of it without talking to me first. He had furnished the building in an unacceptable condition but didn’t seem to think that placed any obligation on him except to offer to clean it again – which I was fully within my right to refuse.

CONCLUSION:

We have stayed in plenty of vacation homes including in the Outer Banks before, but never through VRBO. This is the first and the last! In future, I’ll trust an agency with real live people to help us choose a place that is at least in decent repair. This house is not suitable for young kids. We wasted our vacation on this beach house, and I strongly urge you to look elsewhere. There are plenty of other homes within a few hundred yards that are comparably priced but MUCH more pleasant to stay in. My advice: STAY AWAY.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Community pool, great location, close to grocery store and beach
Liked least: Very dirty state on arrival, very poor customer service attitude of landlord
Traveling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Apr 1, 2016
The people didn't stay at my home.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing