“Great Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corolla
Lexington
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 15, 2007

The staff is very helpful, friendlly and professional. The rooms were very clean (a biggie in our view) and the beach was quite nice...not crowded at all. I would highly recommend this hotel; especially to anyone not staying a full week. We only stayed 4 nights but enjoyed them all.

• Liked — cleanliness and the staff
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jbc123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My wife and I stayed here in late July and enjoyed it. However, for $309 per night, I was disappointed by a number of things.
First, you'd think that at that price, they could provide beach chairs and umbrellas for free. The nightly charge is only about $150 less than some all-inclusives. If you want to rent two beach chairs and an umbrella for the day, it will cost you about $30 dollars. And they aren't even comfortable chairs.
Second, the bathrooms are a bit moldy around the baseboards.
Third, the free internet was down almost half the time.
Overall, a good experience. Certainly looks like the best hotel along all of Rt. 12. But, for that price - it could and should be a lot better.

• Stayed July 2007
3 Thank JBrown215
Rochester, NY
Reviewed July 20, 2007

My wife and I just got back from Corolla it was are first vacation at the OuterBanks. I picked the Hampton Inn because I'm a HHonors member , so I used my Hilton points. This hotel did not disappoint my wife and I at all it was a great stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the location was perfect. The best part is the beach, miles in either direction to walk. They have a cabana service were you can rent chairs and umbrellas at a reasonable rate. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay with a beautiful beach.
wrk920

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wrk920
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2007

I've stayed in numerous Hamptons and feel confident stating that this one ranks at the top of their brand. I stayed for one night in the off season (April), prior to a long weekend with friends at a beachhouse in Whalehead. Reasons for selecting this hotel: 1) the positive reviews here, 2) Limited hotel options, 3) Hampton Inns are pretty dependable within their tier. I love the Hilton Honors points and matching airline miles.

This hotel enjoys a beautiful beachfront setting. The architecture and decor is not all typical Hampton. This hotel has a resort-style layout and all the rooms have balconies. The hotel is only 3 stories tall. The lobby and eating area is a bit larger than normal. I did not use the pool or fitness room. The hotel is only about 5 years old. It is being noticeably well-maintained.

Most important to me... the room was immaculate, fresh-seeming, and the bathroom was spotless. I would describe myself as pretty unforgiving in this area, so if cleanliness matters, this is the place for you, too. My "king bed study with sofa bed" room was a bit larger than the usual Hampton king room. If I recall correctly, there was a frig and microwave. I was not bothered by other room, hall, exterior nor HVAC noises.

As is almost always my experience with this brand, staff members were both personable and professional. Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

Room prices are based on view. Oceanfront, oceanfront with pool, ocean view (north and south sides), and non-oceanfront. Since my stay was just an add-on to a long weekend, I opted to save a few bucks with a non-oceanfront that does, however, face the lovely Currituck Sound in the distance. Before checking in I scoped the building out and could tell that the view from the third (highest) floor over the canopy was not going to be all that obstructed, but it might be priced that way. I inquired and obtained one of those third floor rooms and saved a few bucks more. The view was great and the canopy provides a bit a privacy from the parking lot. Don't try it with a second floor room over the lobby. In buildings of similar construction, those rooms absorb lobby noise and the vibration of any automatic lobby doors. A previous reviewer recommends avoiding north side ocean view rooms - the ones that overlook the diner and dumpsters.

I would definitely stay here again and have recommended to friends. This hotel offers a great way for solo travelers, couples and small groups to experience Corolla. Large groups - think beach house. This hotel is a great value off season compared to June, July, August. The rooms look to be about $100 cheaper per night. I'd recommend visiting in May or September.

As for a comparison to other hotels... there aren't many to compare. I made a point to tour a room at the Corolla Light Inn. Spectacular views with a setting on the shore of the Sound, but it is an apples and oranges comparison. If you like new and beachfront, the Hampton is for you. If you like soundside and a bit more rustic, then you might like Corolla Light. I have not visited the Sanderling (to the south, in Duck).

Corolla is a real treasure of a place. If you have not been, you are in for a big treat.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — There's nothing not to like
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank AmericanRoadGirl
collegeville, pa
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Large, clean rooms with comfortable beds and friendly staff. We traveled with two teenage boys and did not feel cramped at all. There was plenty of room for the four of us including laptops, golfgear, kites and luggage. The staff are so friendly--and this was a fairly crowded week, but everyone had time to answer questions and make sure that we were happy throughout our stay. Breakfast was great--lots of healthy choices along with sweet rolls! Coffee is great and it's so nice to come in from dinner or a stroll on the beach and have a second cup of coffee or hot chocolate and unwind. We stayed for four nights and all agree that we could recommend this hotel to our friends without embarrassment. Room was quiet--we didn't have a ocean view and didn't miss it! Can't say enough about the great service and friendly staff!!!

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank lynnandjohn
Richmond, VA
Reviewed March 3, 2007

My daughters and I just stayed at the Hampton Inn this weekend and we had a wonderful stay! The room was large, with 2 queens and a sofa, and a lovely balcony fom which we could view the ocean. Everything was immaculate, and smelled fresh. The lobby was comfortable, with a fire in the gas fireplace as it was a bit chilly. People were actually sitting in the lobby reading and chatting, something I rarely see in this class of hotel. The indoor pool was nice, and my teenagers enjoyed the gameroom. Breakfast was very good, with hot items along with the standard cereal, yogurt, fruit and danishes, muffins and biscuits. The staff was attentive and friendly, from the breakfast hostess to the desk staff to the janitor. Everyone wished us a good morning or offered a friendly hello. The location is isolated enough to feel relaxing, but is just minutes from any sort of activity offered in the area. I have nothing but positives to offer. We will be back!

• Liked — Clean, friendly
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank willfromva
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed February 3, 2007

This place was awesome...went for three days in the late fall. As far as quiet, clean, well beer-stocked getaways go....We got a great deal and obviously hit the right week for solitude... The first non-mildewed beach room I've experienced in a while. Breakfast was busy, but hey it comes with the room - spend your money on dinner at the Blue Point... and when the big, fat New Jersey wedding came to town, it was okay, because we were leaving that day (talk about great timing)... Management and service was excellent, we had a very polite russian housekeeper...the front desk dudes were more than happy to make us feel at home - we felt like we did own the place....Great Time!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank george1107
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corolla
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla? Share your experiences!