“Great location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Corolla
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend getaway end of June 2012 and you cannot ask for a better location. The beach a just a walk over the dunes on a private boardwalk away from the hotel - what more do you want! The rooms were neat and clean and breakfast was good and HOT! This hotel is definitely suitable for both couples and families. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeLuvtotravel69

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The hotel was very nice, great breakfast, and in a great location. The boardwalk to the ocean and pools were very nice. This was a typical Hampton Inn and as always we enjoyed our stay, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the pool are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MrYancey
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have stayed in "many" Hampton Inns. In fact, it is the only hotels we stay in while traveling. The location of this one was great...oceanfront and between Corolla and Duck. Our room was perfect in that it was strategically located on the corner of the 2nd floor. It was an oceanfront room with a balcony. Because of the room location, there were no rooms on either side of us which provided the privacy we enjoy. However, as another reviewer mentioned, the view on the 2nd floor is of a sand dune in front of the beach. You could see the water, but no beach or waves. So, maybe the third floor would have been better in this regard.

The room description from the hotel website was that it was 50% larger than others because of its corner location and this was true. I do not think I've been in a hotel room this large before and that was great! It would be a perfect room for a family who needs to spread out a bit.

The breakfast was a typical Hampton Inn breakfast, which is always nice. But the one thing we missed was there was no meat of any kind on the buffet on the Friday or Saturday of our trip. We had sausage on Sunday. We have always had some type of meat on the buffets in other Hampton Inns.

The hotel is a bit dated, but I was happy to see from another reviewer that it will be updated in 2013. Along these lines, one of the things I always appreciate about the Hampton Inns is the comfort of the beds. Our bed this time was uncomfortable for me but this could be because it is a little older. Maybe this will be part of the renovations.

The only other negative was the lazy river. It didn't "move." It had tubes but there were no streams (or they were never on) that moved the water around. We were somewhat disappointed in that and would have complained or asked if something could be done except that the water was fairly cold anyway. We didn't stay in it very long!

Having stated some negatives above, I wanted to comment that the staff was quite friendly and helpful! One of the staff upon our arrival recommended nice restaurants in the area and she gave us wonderful selections. We went to several and were pleased with her recommendations.

The breakfast area was nice and the parking and other outdoor areas (pools, etc.) were well kept and clean.

I always appreciate the cleanliness of the Hampton Inn. It is a top priority for me and this one was fine in that regard.

Room Tip: A corner room on the third floor might provide a larger room (perfect for a family), a private balco...
2  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family takes a week in the OBX every summer, this year we decided to beat the Saturday traffic and go on Friday. This plan worked perfectly, and the hotel is located right by the Twiddy office I needed to see the next day. I was greeted warmly by the staff, the room was ready ahead of schedule. My daughters spent all day Friday and Saturday morning in the swimming pools. The complimentary breakfast was fantastic and my kids loved making the waffles. Even though breakfast was crowded, the staff made sure everything was replenished promptly. I was able to get a late check-out, so it was a very relaxing Saturday morning.

The only negative that happened was a fire alarm because a staff member burned some cookies in the kitchen, and the Diner that is adjacent to the hotel is WAY overpriced...other than that, 100% perfect. I'll definitely be back next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Eric Y
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After originally planned accommodations didn't pan out as expected, my husband and I were in a pinch and felt lucky to have been able to book three nights at the Hampton Inn. The location was right off the beach, and less than a mile from where we had originally planned to stay. The rate in my mind was incredibly ridiculous in comparison to other Hampton Inn locations (close to $200 a night), but I was quick to justify the rate in that the location probably had something to do with it. Sadly, however, it wasn't until our arrival that it really was close to the only reason for the rate being so high.

The linens were clean, the hotel lobby and exterior displayed a fresh look, the breakfast offering was up to Hampton Inn standards, but our room was, well, incredibly outdated and in need of some major rehabbing. The bathroom was where I noticed it the most - there was rust building around the bathtub, some of the tiles were starting to break away, and the wallpaper looked like it had been there since the 1980's. In addition, the fan/AC unit was pretty loud - so loud that I was unable to hear my alarm at its regular volume. I noticed in a prior review that this location is planning to begin renovating rooms in 2013, so this issue is definitely not going unnoticed!

I do have to give credit to the staff. Everyone with whom we interacted with was pleasant and cheerful. One staff member went out of his way to help me get back in my room after locking myself out on my way to and from the ice machine, which I of course very much appreciated! While we normally keep the DND tag on our room throughout our stay, housekeeping staff anticipated our needs and left a bag of toiletries and towels outside our room each afternoon. Nice touch!

I cannot form opinions about the beach access, the pool or the fitness center, but what I loved was that the hotel was close to the all-purpose path that ran along Ocean Trail. Very convenient for my morning runs!

All in all, the accommodations met our needs. I'm not sure how soon until we will be back to the Outer Banks, but if a beach house is not an option, this Hampton Inn location can serve as an acceptable substitute!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RMcCollum
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The hotel rooms are scheduled to be renovated in 2013. I think I would wait for that to happen before staying here again. The bathroom especially was shabby. The lobby and breakfast area were recently redone, and look beautiful, so if the rooms come up to that standard, I would definitely come back. The location was good, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready, but I gave them my cell phone number and they called as soon as it was ready. The pools were nice and the beach is just over the dunes, and is lovely - very quiet when we were there. A few tips: The hotel only serves breakfast, so you will need to make other arrangements for lunch and dinner. There is a diner within walking distance, but it was closed at dinnertime on Sunday, so I'm not sure how convenient an option it really is. Also, we paid extra for an Oceanfront Room. However, the dunes are high, so our room on the 2nd floor didn't really look out at the shoreline - it was more of just seeing the water over the top of the dunes - this is really just a matter of personal preference when it comes to what you expect from Oceanfront.

2  Thank Helena115
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was un acceptable for the price. paying almost $400 a night we had an ok sized room, semi comfortable beds and a few issues.the bathtub was a huge one there was rust in the tub and while showering the drain was poor and i was standing in a puddle of my soapy water. also at about 330 am my smoke detector went off and on a total of 4 times within about 10 minutes. as i tried contacting the front desk twice there was no answer. family members were staying in another room that was filled with small flying bugs starting in the bathroom and going throughout the room. The location was wonderful, right on the beach.. but wont ever stay there again. the staff was nice and we were refunded our room 100%.

10  Thank Sami P
Jeff T, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We understand you were unhappy with the condition of your room, and are gratified to know our staff extended a refund. We will share your comments with our maintenance team and work to ensure all the issues you described are resolved. We are proud of this hotel and the great reputation we have worked hard to maintain. We appreciate your review. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corolla
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Outer Banks / Corolla? Share your experiences!