“Great tour and tour guide”

Wild Horse Adventure Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Feel the ocean breeze and taste the salty air! See the wild horses of the Outer Banks and whip through beach, dune, and forest trails with Hummer Adventure Tours. Discover some of the most unique sights the Outer Banks has to offer. Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides take you onto pristine northern beaches that are accessible only with a 4x4 off-road vehicle. With more terrain, no two tours are ever the same; so if you like history, ecology, adventure, and quick-witted comedy, we have you covered.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a wonderful tour on Saturday morning. Our tour guide, Tommy, was very informative and friendly. Even though he must do this same tour several times a day he was very committed to trying to find every possible horse and knew a lot about the herd and the history of the Outer Banks. He was able to answer all of our questions and seemed to genuinely care about the safety and preservation of the herd. Seeing the horses was incredible and bumping around the dunes in the hummer was tons of fun in its own right.

1  Thank Pat5000
Write a ReviewReviews (6,702)

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We just got back home from our vacation in the Outer Banks. What a wonderful trip !!
The main reason for going there was the horses and we were not disappointed. Our guide was Wiley and he was very knowledgeable where the horses were concerned. During the tour he spoke about the past and present history of not only the horses but of the area itself. The day of our tour was warm & windy and a lot of the horses were out on the shoreline but he found more among the dunes and brush and even in and among the homes back there. I took many pictures of these beautiful animals. Thanks to Wiley for a great time !!

2  Thank Barbara55557
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We rented a jeep and followed our Friendly, Fun, and Very Knowledgeable Guide Dave. He was so much fun. We had a blast driving down the beach and over the sand dunes looking for the horses. Dave found over 25 different horses for us to see and take pictures and videos of. He was passionate about his job and we admired his allegiance to the safety and well being of the horses by following the rules set forth. It ended up being the highlight of our Outer Banks Vacation. Money Well Spent and in good part thanks to Dave!

1  Thank SteelerFanFamily
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I recently bookIed a trip with Wild Horses Adventure Tours and the entire experience was just top notch. From Bruce in Reservations to Lars Ericsson (aka Mr. Fish) our Tour Guide, I was 100% pleased with my whole experience. A few days earlier I had also previously booked a VERY expensive Jeep 4-wheel drive vehicle on my own to have the "wild horse" experience and get some photography without a bunch of other tourists along. Unfortunately, not only did I NOT see any horses, I was afraid that I would get stuck back up in the dunes and have to sleep in the Jeep. As a single woman traveling alone, I had no desire to spend the night back up in the mazes of dunes surrounding Corova although there is quite a community of approximately 300 homes. Only 6-8 locals live there yearround and the remainder of the homes are seasonal rentals.

Lars has worked on the horse tours for 3 seasons so he knows the horses by the names that they have been given and he KNOWS WHERE TO FIND THEM!! He was a very personable guide/host and very knowledgeable about where he could find the majority of the herds. He also explained their behavior and why the stallions can be aggressive at times. Since it was off-season, our tour only had about 8 persons on it so it was not crowded at all. I opted for the last tour of the day which started at 6:15pm and ended at 8:15pm. Twilight is just beautiful on the beach. I highly recommend this tour for anyone looking to see the wild Currituck Spanish Mustangs or just a different wasy of life that some people choose.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Our guide was Brian, and was really neat young man. Was very informative about the horses and the beach area....but was also funny and friendly. He was the first to find the horses to include a new colt (will send photos). Thanks to Brian and Wild Horse for a great memory.