“Family-oriented Atmostphere”

Pirates Cove Seafood and Steak
California, PA
“Family-oriented Atmostphere”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Since this was my only option for dinner while on a remote area north on Charlotte, NC on I-77, I decided to try it. You can see the restaurant from the interstate and can't miss it as it resembles a pirate ship. Finding the restaurant after exiting the interstate was a challenge; however, I managed to get there. The parking lot was filled with cars, so I figured that I must have made a good choice. The inside of the restaurant was rather old; however, it was clean and well maintained. The tables were filled with families; large families. It appeared that grandparents, children, grandchildren, aunts, nieces, and nephews (maybe some cousins) occupied most of the large, banqquet sized tables which were pushed together to accommodate a large group. It was a local crowd, by all means which made me feel as though I didn't belong. I ordered a glass of chardonnay which was served in a heavy goblet (hated that). I estimate that the goblet held about 2 ounces of wine, if that. I noticed that the other tables were drinking iced tea and other soft drinks. Now I really feel like I don't belong! Despite all of this, the food was good. The owner was chatting with all of the customers on a first name basis. No, he did not approach me....was I that scarey? Finally found out that this restaurant is surrounded by "dry" counties. Oh my, what a culture shock for me, Ms. Metropolitan. So, bottom line, if you are in that area and are hungry, the food is good. The atmosphere is more like an Eat N Park with lots of families, kids, highchairs, etc. If this doesn't bother you, go for it. However, as far as I'm concerned, it was not a good choice for my particular taste.

• Visited December 2011