“Not Again”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Conover
Tennessee
“Not Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel does not rank high on my list, due to several situations.
1) Customer service is very poor--they do not honor their claim, "Anything we can do do to make your stay more comfortable, please let us know". Or the 100% Guarantee, "Should you encounter a problem, we guarantee we'll resolve it or your night's stay is on us."

2) The problem we had was the handicap rooms/suites. We were traveling with an elderly lady in a chair. We discovered the Suite's bathroom had a Tub and not a shower. She cannot step up and over the height of a bathtub. I went to the front desk and explain this situation. The girl said there was only one suite that had a shower for the handicap and it was occupied.
3)So, the elderly person could not shower during our stay overnight. (When I explained this to the lady at checkout, her reponse was, "Well that was unfortunate!"
4)The handicap rooms only has one bed---not two. That is why we choose the suite (and I even called before making the reservation to make sure the room was handicap accessible). When I commented at checkout that I felt this room was not a truly accessible room, the lady said, "Yes, it has hand rails in the bathroom."
5)We knew we would use the sofaBed when I made the reservation (the lady cannot be in a separate room, so the suite was the only option). The mattress on the sofabed was so thin, all you could feel was the springs----not good. Went to the front desk that evening and explained how bad that mattress was. The girl said she understood. I then asked about a rollaway bed. She said yes they had them but it would be a charge of $10.00------What......I ask if she would wave that fee, she asked her manager and was told NO. I was furious by then. I had a room that my mother n law could not take a shower, nor sleep well. I mentioned this situation to the checkout person, and her comment was: "when you checked in and went to your room, you saw what kind of room you had....................What, I could not believe what I was hearing. Where is the respect and concern here???
6) In the bedroom--the bed was comfortable BUT the airconditioner unit was right above the headboard and even though you closed the vent, you had air blowing on your face/head all night.
I told this also to the checkout person, her reply--"Well, if you closed the vent off, it should not have done that". Well, it did, I said. She then replied, I guess maintenace will need to check on that.
7) Went for breakfast, there was flies around your table and the food. We did not enjoy that.

Now saying all of this, I was charged for the rollaway bed and nothing was reduced for the rate we paid. So, if you are handicap, just beware---they only have one bed in each room and be sure to ask about the bathroom, to see if it is fully accessible.

I even wrote to Customer Service about this experience and have not had a reply. They did send a survey out and I did take time to fill it out completely. I did get a generated/form email from the hotel supervisor with no name and it said nothing personnel at all about our stay.

I regret staying at this hotel. I did read the reviews and thought it would be a comfortable and nice place to stay on our travels. If you have pets, then maybe it would be okay, I guess. We saw about 6 dogs with guests while we were there overnight. We even got bites from fleas from the hall carpet going to our room. There was a big dog across the hall from us.

I personally will not ever stay at another La Quinta, basically because of this one hotel and the way things were handled. I have never encountered this reaction before in any hotel that we have stayed in.
Oh, by the way, I used my credit card two times on our trip. The hotel first and then a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. My credit card was compromised at one of these two establishments...........go figure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
lq6343, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn & Suites Hickory, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I do apologize for the issue that you faced regarding your family’s accessibility needs. Our management often takes the necessary measures to ensure that we are in compliance with all ADA requirements for a lodging facility. Our hotel was prompt in installing the new ADA pool lifts prior to the mandate which now makes them a requirement—and I wish more individuals could have seen the delight on the faces of our staff at the sight of the lift’s first overjoyed passenger.
The American’s with Disabilities Act states that “The Standards are designed to ensure accessibility for individuals with a wide variety of different disabilities, such as persons who are blind or have low vision, people who are deaf or hard of hearing, persons with limited use of hands or arms, individuals with mobility impairments who use canes, crutches, braces or walkers, persons who use wheelchairs, and people who have combinations of disabilities.” Our hotel does not assume that all persons with a disability are wheelchair bound & require, specifically, a roll in shower. We understand that when a person is accustomed to only one type of disability that sometimes other types of disabilities can be easily disregarded. Had our staff been informed that a roll in shower was the main requirement prior to arrival we could have guaranteed this need or informed you that given all of your requirements (roll in shower, number of beds) we would not have availability for your requested dates and gladly helped offer a better solution.
As for our rating, we are fortunate that the vast majority of our guests find the property to be exceptional. They enjoy our made to order hot breakfast, the cleanliness of our property, and the friendliness of our staff.
Regardless of the situation, no one enjoys hearing someone else has had personal information stolen—which is why I am relieved to inform you that our guests personal information is something we take very seriously. I wish this information could have been divulged to us in our prior communications so that it could be addressed. However you will be relieved to know that our staff does not have access to personal information such as credit card numbers.
I show that in addition to your initial response from Cory, our General Manager and Guest Services Supervisor both reached out to offer their apologies for all of the miscommunication during your stay prior to the posting date of this review. Our staff offered the best solutions that they were able to offer at the current time and unfortunately these solutions did not meet your expectations and for that I am truly apologetic. When given the opportunity, the hotel staff will do what it takes to make certain we are here for each of our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great place to stay, friendly and helpful staff, kid and pet friendly. I have back problems and aside from my own the bed was sooooo comfortable. Room was so clean and comfortable. Full breakfast included in room price, eggs, sausage, waffles, bacon, toast juices, fruit. I can't say enough, I have stayed in many hotels when traveling for business and by far La Quinta is the best.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Forestville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

2nd time staying here, mold on floor and walls in banquet room, foul sewage odor from common area bathroom, reservation mix up had to be handled by my wife, made reservation online in advance somehow was cancelled. Upon checking in guests were making complaints of theft from rooms and damaged property by housekeeping. Breakfast was nice and overall nice stay but my family will not have another event there. seafood resturant next door was tasty too !!

Monterey Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

For this hotel, I did not have a reservation. Yet, they had a vacancy, and the price was one of the best of my 6 different hotels where I stayed. The reservationist was extremely friendly and helpful, and worked quickly to get me to my room after a long drive. She offered all you can drink from the breakfast room. The room was spacious. This hotel does allow pets, so I was leery about the cleanliness of the room. It was extremely clean and there were no odors. The breakfast actually had a chef and an assistant to replenish supplies. The omelettes were made to order, and they had many choices for breakfast. I would definitely stay here again! There is a restaurant next door that also had good selections.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
McEwen, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was a very enjoyable stay, the room was great and just what we asked for, the front desk personnel were friendly and helpful, the housekeeping staff went above and beyond being helpful. The whole hotel was clean and well kept and the breakfast was like now we have come across at a La Quinta, they have an open window where you can order your eggs and such cooked the way you request. The pool and hot tub were terrific I can not say enough good things about this Inn.
Thanks for a great weekend stay.

Room Tip: Just make sure when you book your room you explain and request everything you want and have them und...