“Average is the name”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2012

If I would have to take a foreigner to dinner I would take him to this place to see the average american dining experience. The nothing fancy, kind of crowded restaurant with good and fast service, basic food aimed to fill you up and with no consideration for the way is presented or nutrition and health (they do have carrots and celery sticks as a side option and some salads, I give them that, even if that might be canceled out by the high fat dips). The regular huge dessert with ice cream from a bucket and whip cream from a spray on top of two cookies baked from pre-made doe in a hot skillet. Seeing the overweight and obese, older or not, probably diabetic individuals eating one of those it's just shocking. Knowing they are probably out 2-4 times a week eating like that is sad. Keeping with the restaurant review, I liked the outdoor/fireplace seating and the fast and smiling service and daily discounts. I did not like cheap paper used as table cloth (there could have been some theme that day, who knows), over-used, poorly washed dishes and utensils, and the crowded atmosphere inside. The food was average at best, just another fast-food/sit down restaurant. Based on other reviews the majority liked it, so I guess I'm the excentric one here.

There are newer reviews for Afton Tavern

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Had a very nice lunch. Burgers for two of us and fish sandwich for the third. All very tasty! And they made great Cosmos! Service was prompt and friendly!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good steaks, salads. decent wine list. the restaurant is large with good facilities for a crowd. the food isn't gourmet, but it's reliable, solid American fare.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We like to go to Afton Tavern because we can always count on good food and great service. I recommend the salmon salad, blue cheese burger and philly chicken sandwich. Each night they have a drink special. Staff is well trained and they work together really well. Try sitting outside near the fireplace.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I ate lunch here with 14 ladies and we were all happy! The menu has diverse selections to please all. We were seated in a sunny room by ourselves that was pleasant. I had the Chunky Chicken Salad plate with apples and it was excellent. I also tried the chicken and dumplings which was definitely comfort food yummy. We all had a bit of the skillet cookie with ice cream. That was a little sweet for my taste but fit it's description.

Been to Afton Tavern? Share your experiences!