“Waste of money---a lot of money!!”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Far too expensive. Room uncomfortable. Loud. Smoke from balconies infiltrated room. Supposed to be a non-smoking facility. Workers rude. Did not have reservation correct. Everything the children wanted to do was an extra cost: magic quest, videos. Arcade games require too many tokens. Nothing for the disablied. Stair access to water slides unbearable. The air conditioner in our room was so loud and the sofa bed so uncomfortable that my husband left a $500/night room to sleep in our car!! Floors slippery. Chlorine smell bad. Room smelled bad. Can you tell we didn't like it?

6  Thank boysmomNc
Write a ReviewReviews (3,751)

Reviewed August 3, 2009

Went with our 5yo and 2yo and had a lot of fun. There is plenty of dining nearby so don't bother eating there unless you are just looking for convenience. We got Olive Garden take out and ate it in our room.

The hotel is for kids so expect it to be loud which is a problem if you are light sleeper.

One problem is that the some of the waterslides have height requirements and there aren't any signs telling you what the slides actually are. You have to find a lifegaurd to tell which ones are okay. Some of them won't let you go down with a kid in your lap which is a problem if you kid is a little apprehensive about it. That also isn't clearly marked. It would be nice if there was a list of the waterslides with rules such as height requirements and whether or not lap riding is allowed.

There is a Dunkin Donuts there. The other food looked pretty good but we brought a lot of our own food and got take out for dinner. All the fast food restaurants are withing 5 minutes drive as well a huge shopping area (Concord Mills).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We arrived on Friday July 31, 2009 and needless to say this place was amazing. I traveled with my wife and my 6 and 1 year old kids. This resort is very family oriented and there is everything you need at the resort, so there's no need to leave for anything. The only thing we left for was to eat, because the buffet was a little pricey at $19.95 per person for adults. They do have a cafe' and a Pizza Hut onsite, but we weren't feeling pizza. Check in isn't until 1600 hours, but you can get your wristbands for the waterpark at 1300. From the time we arrived from the time we checked out my family never left the waterpark. Another great thing is you can enjoy the waterpark on the day you checkout until it closes at 2100 hours. My wife isn't a water person and she rode every slide in the waterpark. I must say the presence of many lifeguards made her feel safe, along with us feeling very comfortable with letting our kids enjoy the water. The rooms were a little on the expensive, but you can't replace the quality time with your kids while thy're young, so go for it!!

Reviewed August 1, 2009

This is not a good place to go if you have a lot of kids (we have 4) who are teenagers. And because we have the 4 kids; the room that would accommodate us was $500/night. I know they obvioulsy incorporate the cost of the waterpark, but my husband and I had no interest; so we paid to NOT use the waterpark. The disappointment on their faces when they saw only one slide they actually liked was heartbreaking (not to mention a waste of $1500 on our part for the 3 nights we paid to stay).

Don't get me wrong, if you have young kids and plenty of money and don't mind that there's nothing else in the area really to do; this is an excellent place to go. The resort is beautiful and the food is good, but just not a good place for teens and for people who have limited funds for vacations.

GJR
Grayson, GA

3  Thank GJRussell
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We arrived at 1:00 p.m. (even if your room isn't ready you can get into the water park starting at 1:00). To our surprise, our room was ready. We changed and went straight to the water park. While it isn't huge, it has more than enough to keep everyone busy. We had a 7, 10 and 14 year old with us and they wore themselves out. We chose to bring food in from a nearby restaurant so the kids could spend time doing MagiQuest (an absolute must and very reasonably priced). The adults visited the spa and it was wonderful. There was a magic show on Saturday night that was very fun. There will always be little things you can complain about but all in all it was great quality time with the kids. We all live in Charlotte and this was our "staycation". Well worth it!

Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We live only 2 hours away so it was the perfect mini vacation for 2 days. When we arrived the hotel at 1:30pm we had to wait in line for 30 minutes to precheck in and then were told to come back at 4pm to get the room key. When I came back at 4pm to get the room key I had to wait 25 more minutes in line to check in.After visiting Wisconsin Dells and Wilderness at the Smokies our children, 9 and 11, were quite dissappointed with the size of the waterpark. We arrived on a Sunday and the waterpark was crowded and there were long lines for all the waterslides. On Monday morning we went down to the waterpark at 9am when it opened and for the first 2-3 hours our children didn't have to wait for anything and had a wonderful time. We ate all our meals at the hotel during our 2 day stay and there was a wide varity of food and resonable. I would highly reccomend The Great Wolf Lodge for a two day stay. Our children are looking forward to going back.

Reviewed July 29, 2009

I read the reviews here before our trip and some left me wondering if it was going to be worth it. As this was a special 'last minute' surprise for my family, I almost changed my mind and went somewhere else. Luckily the 'last minute' portion meant forfeiting a large chunk of the reservation, so I just went for it.

The price. I don't think the price was that bad. Having grown up in a resort town on the East coast and living with 'vacation pricing', I actually considered this a steal. First of all, before I go anywhere, I Google for coupons. A quick Google found me a 25% off coupon code which worked on the web reservation form. This allowed me to upgrade to a 'cub' (the fort room, I think it was called 'cub') suite for well under the advertised price. If you figure in water park admission at most places, times that by each family member, I think the price is quite good. now, if you didn't have kids, that may not be the case. But this place didn't seem to be an adult getaway anyway.
The kids loved the "fort" in the room. We loved that, while it gave us a 'little' privacy, it still had them right near us (they are still toddlers) and not in a second room like most suites. We brought our own portable DVD player for movies at night, it hooked right up to the LCD's.
The bed (Queen) was not the most comfortable I have ever been in, but it was far better than most regular hotels, and even superior to the 'top notch' suite we upgraded to on a cruise last year. We didn't try the sofa bed, but, I can imagine it wasn't a resort quality night of sleeping. Then again, it's a sofa bed. It's not meant to be a primary bed. Don't be so cheap next time and get a second room :p
We live in Charlotte, just a few miles from Great Wolf. I did not even know it existed until I accidentally saw it on a Google search (and bookmarked it for a last minute occasion such as this). I can't imagine a better option to 'get away' while still 'being home'. In an emergency, home is only 30 minutes away. Yet it seems hours away while relaxing in the pool.
The food. the food and interior of this place reminded me (as it did others) of a cruise ship. It wasn't a 5 star facility, but it wasn't meant to be. it was 'fun'. Pricey? No more than any vacation spot, and you can easily go to any place at Concord Mills (Chili's, Applebee's, etc) if you want to eat a 'normal' priced meal. It's up to you if you want to pay more and settle for the quality of 'convenient'.
As far as my family goes, we will be back (although some type of loyalty club like casino's have would be nice). It's perfect for a last minute getaway, the price is nominal (and even better if you find a coupon), and, the best part, its like driving to the mall.
I find it hard to find anything to really complain about here. This place is really neat..I wish I was a kid again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family