“A lot of fun if you plan a little....”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Reviewed January 7, 2013

After reading TONS of reviews about Great Wolf Lodge, I had really debated on deciding to give this trip to my 9 year old for her birthday. Most of the complaints seem to be centered around the really high cost of the rooms, meals, and extra activies and I just have a really hard time forking over bales of money to a place that is trying to squeeze every dime they can from me- Most of us just work too hard for our money to be squeezed like turnips just to have a good time. While looking at the suites, I initially got caught up in the kid cabin suite b/c of the bunk beds and extra TV. However, when I booked, I opted for the family suite for our family of 5 since this was our first trip and we were only staying for 1 night (and the kids didn't really know about the other rooms anyway). The room had 2 queen beds and then a half wall that divided the sleeping area from the sitting area, which contained a sleeper sofa. That turned out to be plenty of space. The TV was positioned in a way that it could be viewed from both areas, and as other reviewers have pointed out the rooms with 2 TVs have them placed so close together that they compete with each other for sound. So I was glad I made this decision. I didn't feel like our kids were missing anything. We did not spend any money on food at the lodge. I had read too many negative reviews about how bad the food is and how expensive it was. We had chic-fil-a for lunch before we arrived, checked in and hit the water park until 8. We skipped story time b/c our kids our older and from the reviews it appears quaint and cozy on the website but a lot of people see it as a waste of time. We headed out to five guys which is just across the street and had the best burgers and fries (we were stuffed- the servings are huge!) for $40 instead of spending the $75 at the lodge for a mediocre buffet. After we ate, we came back to the room where we had my daughter's birthday celebration with cake and gifts. The room has a refrigerator and microwave so I had brought sandwich and snack items, soda, juice etc. to keep in the room and this worked out great as a vending soda is $2.50 a drink. Check out is at 11:00 so we had breakfast in the room which consisted of PB&J's- something a little heavier than our nromal breakfast just to tide the kids over while they were playing hard in the park, then checked out and headed to the water park. We played until the kids got hungry (around 4) then showered and left, hitting a much cheaper restaurant after leaving the lodge. All in all, we were able to just enjoy spending time together and using the water park. Spending just 1 night, there really wasn't any time left to participate in other activities. Had my kids started getting bored with the water park, I might have chosen to let them play majiquest b/c they already have wands or visit the arcade, but there really wasn't any time so it's pointless to try to take advantage of everything they offer at the lodge and spend an astronomical amount doing so as long as the kids are happy doing the slides. I also packed a small lung bag type cooler with snacks, water and juice and stuck it in my swim bag with our towels. I was discreet with our snacks but I noticed a lot of other people doing the same thing. So as long as you don't come in sporting a big cooler or draw a lot of notice, you can get away with bringing in your own snacks to the park. I didn't check out the snack bar prices b/c we weren't buying from there-I'd much rather give my child a healthy banana than spend $6 on a chicken strip basket. Also, your credit card info. is contained on your water park bracelet so there is no need to bring wallets/purses into the waterpark, If you need to buy something, you can just scan your bracelet and that is your room key as well. I brought cheap beach towels and we wore old shorts and t shirts into the park b/c I didn't want to spend money on a locker rental ($9!!?) and one of us was usually with our bag anyway. I didn't really take anything in that would be horrible if it went missing but if you have expensive camera equipment, phones etc a locker is probably the better option.
Our room was clean and comfy- I brought my own pillow. We were on the 4th floor which was nice b/c it had high ceilings and no noise above us. There was only a small majiquest area there and it was near the lobby so I never heard any noise from kids playing games. The service was good, but I didn't have any issues that really required management. The elevators were a little slow with so many people using it, but we are a pretty active family so several times we opted for the stairs anyway, which wasn't a big deal to us. All in all, it was a great trip. I got out with spending only our room cost other than the in room snacks and our meals outside of the lodge - which we normally eat out 1 to 2 times anyway during the weekend. It was still expensive, but I came out much better than a lot of people and I was able to really enjoy my trip b/c I didn't have to think about $$ the entire time. I came away with no regrets-just a good time.

Room Tip: Our room had a great view so ask for a room that does not overlook the parking lot if that's imp...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
42  Thank melanie1126
Write a ReviewReviews (3,641)

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The great Wolf Lodge is definitely worth going to at least for a day. I would recommend a hotel right outside the lodge instead of staying at the lodge if you're on a tighter budget. the rooms seem to be fun for the kids but overall are actually basic hotel rooms with a small room for the kids that Does not have a door, but the children seem to love it. I recommend getting there about 1 o'clock spending the night and then spending as much of the day there as you can the next day and then going home. I'm not sure if you have to stay at the lodge to be able to play there more than one day.

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank John F
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place is awesome me and my family live about 30 minutes away from this place but it still feels like a vacation. It is a little pricey however; to us it is well worth it. We have went since my daughter was 2 and she loved it then as much as she loves it now at 5. If you have kids the kids rooms are worth staying in. It made my daughter feel special that she had her own special bunk bed and tv to watch what she wanted. The staff is always friendly and we can tell how much they enjoy the company of all the children. The water park is great for the kids but also adds a lot of fun for the adults. Magiquest is great for kids of all ages. Even me and my husband enjoy that. The arcade is great and so is the restaurant. The food is a bit pricey but still amazing. Story time is great to get the kids ready for bed although most stay up playing magiquest but hey its vacation time right. We have stayed in almost all the types of rooms there. The jacuzzi suite is nice for a couple but not necessarily good for family. The family suite is awesome for a family on more of a budget. Every room we stayed in was very comfortable. Will always love this place. Can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AmairasMommy07
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went to this hotel with our grandchildren, rode the BIG slides, enjoyed all the water park activities and went to story time. The buffet was good for adults and kids. The staff couldn't have been nicer and everything was oriented for children having a good time. My granddaughter wore her water park bracelet for a week after and they are still talking about it and asking to return. I can't wait to go back myself.

Room Tip: We got a suite with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a wet bar. It was well worth the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan62_11
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked 2 nights in the wolf den at the lodge which is plastic stuck to the outside of the wall. I think this place is way too pricey for only 1 really good slide out of about 7. There is NO discount like in disney if you are a local nor is there a discount for winter when you can't use the putt-putt course or lazy river. In the wolf den room the 2 TV are barely 6 feet apart so it is hard to have both Tv's going and actually hear either. The staff were great, but for the price you pay the place should be all inclusive!!!! I could get a week at a resort near disney for the price of a 2 night stay. Really only 1 night is needed as the novelty wore off after the first day with a 6 and 7 year old. On the day we were leaving neither wanted to even go to the water park!!!. The other issue is finding seating in the water park although they have used about every inch of the place to put chairs/tables. Could do without the high priced cabanas that hardly anyone uses because it cost too much!!!! Food in moose lodge is not great...nothing and I mean nothing was ever warm in the buffet area....K&W does a better job of at least making your food have a little steam to look like it is warm. I understand they don't want anyone to get burned getting food especially children, but come on cold runny eggs is not very appetizing! Should I ever go back I would just get their hotel room with 2 beds which is cheaper and stay only 1 night! and always get my food at the Mcdonalds up the road!

Room Tip: Don't wast your money on novelty rooms!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JudyinNC
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We started this about 3 or 4 years ago and it continues to be a wonderful trip for our family. We eat the delicious Christmas Day Buffet in the restaurant and then we spend the night at the Lodge. Kids absolutely love it and there is no let down after Christmas Morning!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The trip to this lodge was planned as a birthday gathering for my granddaughter. Her parents used this trip from Greensboro, NC in lieu of a party. To my surprise the facility was grand and clean. Upon entering the lobby the cavernous area was being setup for Christmas. A huge tree was being set up next to the cozy fireplace. Ahead of this lay a stage that was used to entertain the children with animatronics and live entertainers later that evening. To the right was the check-in area. Having secured bracelets for the water park, yes an inside water park lay ahead. This park is humongous. While I am not able to partake in the slides, the two children and both parents began a two hour festival of water. Eventually we checked in and got bracelets that unlock the room doors. The room was clean and spacious. It had both an adult area with a big bed with couch and TV. In addition, a space for three bunk beds and its own TV was in its own alcove. I slept with the kinds in one of the bunks as I am somewhat short and was comfortable enough. I was one of the kids for the night. The evening was spent in the lobby area where a show was presented for all the kids in the lodge. It was great for them while I sat on a comfortable couch by the fireplace. More time was spent in the water park after breakfast. It was time to leave this great water park and lodge. Everybody enjoyed it and there was no complaints from anyone. This lodge was outstanding.

Room Tip: Select the appropriate named room depending on how many guests are to be accommodated.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family