“I may love this place more than my kids!”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Boulder, CO
“I may love this place more than my kids!”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Heaven!! Absolute hotel heaven. An indoor/outdoor water park (fun for ALL ages), a miniature golf course, an arcade, singing animated bedtime story & magic wands/Quest throughout the hotel. Not to mention the bunk beds in the room for the kids, the Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast and the bar for adult beverages. Seriously, my kids have been begging me to go back to Great Wolf Lodge. We live in CO and just happened to be visiting NC when we stumbled upon this little treat but we now plan to try another location on our next road trip to visit the in-laws. This is not a luxury hotel but more of a family lodge. The food is mediocre but to be able to have donuts in the am and pizza in the pm with a snack bar in between is all my kids need. We did venture out for dinner on night 2, there are a handful of restaurants within a mile or two. The price is high and yes, it is expensive, but I can say it was worth every penny. We didn't have a bad experience and for my kids it was everything they've ever wanted in a hotel. It was a great family memory.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room with bunk beds if you are traveling with more than 1 kid. It's like summ...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
SC
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This was our 3 visit to the lodge and not much has changed. They did add a bowling alley which costs $5 a game (no rental shoes needed). It's small-maybe three lanes. I only peeked my head in while looking for my kids. We normally get one of the bunk bed rooms, but thanks to a group discount for our dance company, we went with the Majestic Bear suite which was really nice. We let our son bring a friend (waterpark pass included). Each boy slept in his own bed, our daughter on the sofa bed, and the adults in our own bed. The pillows were rock hard and kept sliding down under the headboard. There is a wet bar with sink, coffee maker, microwave and small fridge, plus a counter with 5 stools. The outdoor pool was open and heated. The bungee jump attraction was gone. And once again (happened the last time we were there and on an episode of Undercover Boss), the wave pool had to be shut down due to someone thinking they could use it as a bathroom. Dining options have not changed. After our first visit we vowed not to eat in the Loose Moose again. However, the kids were starving and didn't want to leave, so we bit the bullet. For each paying adult, one child eats for free. At $8 a meal, it helps. However, service was again very slow (it wasn't busy) and our food arrived lukewarm at best. My sweet potato fries while good, were cold. The usual Kraft Mac and Cheese my kids live on was altered by adding shredded cheese on top. My kids refused to eat it. We made a McDonald's run for breakfast the next day, and Quiznos for lunch which are both right down the street. With Concord Mills mall right across the interstate, there are plenty of better dining options. Thank goodness for the Dunkin Donuts inside the lodge-good coffee and late night snacks. We have yet to try Pizza Hut and the ice cream shop, but it looks safe. Unlike Disney, the lodge seems to nickel and dime you to death. We got an hour extension on our check out time for being return guests (oooh), yet it didn't help us. I explained that our daughter had a dance competition and would it be possible to extend it to 1 pm so we didn't have to put our luggage in the car and park it at the arena. Nope, that would be up to the manager and he would say no. Well how about you get him so I can personally ask him. Nope, he's busy. So not only did I have to pack, get my daughter dolled up, but I also had to haul everything to the car. Our swim gear and valuables went into a small locker that we had to pay $20 for ($10 being returned when you turned in the key). I'm surprised they don't charge for parking. And don't bother with the valet. Just inside the door are free, yes FREE luggage carts (never noticed them before, but then we never had this much stuff). A day after we returned home I received an email saying some items were found in the room. Disney would ship them home free of charge, but not the GWL. We had to give them a credit card number for them to UPS us two small clothing items. While the kids love this place, we and the wallet are growing tired of it. Had it not been for a group discount and the fact that many of the kids' friends were going we would've skipped it.

Room Tip: The kids love the bunk bed rooms (separate themed sleeping area with bunk beds, and a tv). The Maje...
2 Thank SCalison
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Concord, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge. I would like to apologize that your third visit did not exceed your expectations.

I can assure you that your concerns and issues will be shared with my team so that we can continue to make our lodge a great experience for all of our guests.

I hope that you and your family will visit us again.

Kind Regards,
Phillip Cunningham
Mount Pleasant, SC
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The water park is amazing! The crowds are not so bad (at least in April). The hotel is clean and the rooms are big (bigger than Disney). The food is okay (but the service is awful). The arcade, the bowling alley and the Magi Quest are great!

I took my eight year old here for two nights and three days for part of his Spring Break. My wife and I had a great time and my son had a blast. Get there early and take advantage of using the Water Park before your room is ready.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby or you will be walking your butt off getting back and forth to you...
NC
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed for two nights during April for my son and nephew's birthday (ages 10 and 11) and my daughter also came (age 5). It was great. They all had fun in the water park and there was plenty for them to do. they also did the Quest game--way overpriced in my opinion! That would be my only issue--it is very expensive. The food was ok but not great, but there are lots of places really close by to eat as well. Overall, though it was lots of fun for us all. They did provide towels at the park but they are pretty small but do the job so you don't have take anything with you. I like riding the slides--if you are not a water person then you may want to take a book. There is a snack bar and it is super expensive--An icee is 10 bucks! But it also sells beer ($6) if you want to have a beer while the kids play. We stayed in the standard room and it was super clean and nice. We did not feel cramped and there were 4 in our room-2 kids-2 adults. We ate breakfast on site once and dinner on site--kids under 10 eat free so that helped, but as I said the dinner was so so. Breakfast was ok. There are lots of life guards so I was not worried about my son going from place to place. the staff were all great and very helpful. There are lots of activities going on--We will go back but next time we will stay longer. Thursday and Friday-no lines and few people but by Friday night it was jam packed and Saturday it was so crowded we left and did not even return to the park-Another great thing is Bass Pro shop is around the corner!

Room Tip: The water park is on the 1st floor so the closer the better if you have smaller kids but it is still...
Graham, NC
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I booked a one night stay with my eight year old daughter and her friend. They had a ball and the stay was good but I definitely walked away with notes for my next visit.

The waterpark was wonderful. I was glad that I took a tote bag with a book for me and beach towels for the girls. The park has towels but they are small so the beach towels came in handy. I wished I had packed googles because the chlorine made my daughter's eyes burn and the googles were more expensive than I could have picked up elsewhere but that is to be expected. I was very impressed with the amount of staff and their attentiveness in the waterpark. Because we stayed on a Sunday night the park was not packed and wait times were good. My daughter brought a cover up but her friend did not and she was cold during the walk to and from our room. Bring a couple of cover ups as the first one will get wet.

There was a "kids eat free" special in the restaurant so we decided to have dinner there rather than going out. BIG mistake. The service was terrible and the food was mediocre at best. It took an exceptionally long time to be greeted and the food took forever to make to it to our table. Based on how dry it was and how hot the plate was I would assume the food had been prepared quickly and sat on a warmer. I had to request the wolf ears before leaving. There are lots of restaurants in the area and I would not consider trying to dine there again.

The ladies burned lots of calories in the park and wanted snacks. There was a long wait at the little cafe but the service was good and the treats were great. We returned a few times during our stay.

I packed drinks, cups of mac & cheese, popcorn and snacks. These came in handy as the girls ate a lot more than usual. I really appreciated the refrigerator and microwave.

The spa looks wonderful and the girls wanted to check it out but it was not in the budget. I wish there was one mini-service there that was more affordable. Because there is a window into the spa, the girls were disappointed not to check it out in person.

The gift shop had interesting things and good prices. Being conscious of our budget, I was happy to find a machine that smashes pennies outside the shop. The girls loved making their pennies and I was glad I had packed a bunch of quarters and pennies.

There was a hair extension shop and my daughter was thrilled to have hers done. I found the price to be reasonable.

There was a stuffed wolf shop that looked like fun but my little ladies thought they were too old for it.

We brought our own wands for Magiquest. I was surprised to find that it cost $13 per person- with our wands. This was more than I was willing to spend on two girls who would lose interest in just a few minutes.

Our room was clean, the housekeeping staff was very friendly and the girls loved their bunk beds. I, on the other hand, was not comfortable. The bed was not comfortable at all. I would have expected a better mattress and bedding based on the cost of the room. While I love a luxury hotel, I have had many comfortable stays at hotels such as Holiday Inn Express and I expected a bed and linens that would be comparable.

We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacy_AGraham_NC
Charlotte
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The water park is great during off-peak season- short lines and not as crowded. The kids loved the slides and the wave pool, me not so much. We spent most of our time in the wave pool and I'm not sure if our skin was reacting to the chlorine in the water or if the quality of the water was very poor. It wasn't as warm as I expected either. For the amount of money we paid for a night, you'd think the quality of the park would be 5-stars. Far from it.

The kids and I developed this insanely itchy skin that night when we went back to our room- red and blotchy. No bumps, just incredibly itchy. I'm never going back there again. I feel so dirty and disgusted.

3 Thank Kimberly M
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We decided to try the Great Wolf on Easter Sunday 2012. I reserved a family suite through the toll free number and got a AAA discount. When we arrived at the lodge, they had upgraded us to a majestic suite (2 queens, sofa sleeper, and bedroom with a king). We were thrilled, especially since the sofa sleeper was so uncomfortable. Our wrist ids for the water park were also our room keys and our credit card info was stored in them so you never had to worry about bringing money in the lodge. The water park was clean and well supervised by the lifeguards, who switched stations frequently. We ended up purchasing the Paw Pass for our eleven year old daughter, and it was ideal. It got her the MagiQuest game (an interactive game where the kids use magic wands to find various hidden items stored in sections of the lodge), a Cubs Club activity - she painted pottery, a stuff your own toy (like Build-A-Bear, but themed for the resort), a game of bowling, arcade tokens, and mini-golf. She opted not to play mini-golf and was given additional arcade tokens instead. We had so much fun that we decided to stay another night, which was perfect. After two nights, we were all ready to leave, hoping to return again.