“Wonderful waterpark, substandard lodging accomidations”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Wonderful waterpark, substandard lodging accomidations”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My initial contact with Great Wolf Lodge was through the reservations phone line. After making my reservation with them in February, I had to make some changes to the dates and accommodations. I again called the reservations line. However, despite several attempts, they did not clearly understand my request and attempted to talk me into keeping my original dates. I then decided to contact the Concord Lodge directly. I was connected with a staff member by the name of Diane Hobbs. I explained the situation and my disappointment with the reservations line. She clearly understood and promptly accommodated us exactly like we needed to be! She even went the extra mile and sent me a personal e-mail with direct instructions on how to check-in and that she looked forward to having us at the Lodge! Upon check-in, I was able to thank her in person for her wonderful customer service. Check-in was a breeze and she answered all of our questions about the Lodge. This wonderful personal touch has convinced me to visit the Lodge again later in the year!
Overall, the Lodge is great for short family getaways. The Waterpark and other activities are excellent. However, the lodging is very substandard. We resided in a Grizzly Bear Suite. This room should have been equipped to accommodate the eight people that were in our party. However, there were only five towel and washcloths in the entire suite! After attempting to contact someone at the front desk several times, a member of staff finally picked up the line. I asked for some additional washcloths, towels and blankets. After fifteen minutes of waiting, we still had yet to receive these items. I again called the front desk and was rudely told that the request had been put in and that someone should be their shortly. We did eventually receive the items, but housekeeping did not leave any additional towels or washcloths the next day, thus, resulting in a repeat of these actions on the second day of our stay. The toilet in the master bedroom would not flush and almost overflowed. Maintenance did arrive prompt to check out the problem, but on our last night, the same problem occurred. Because this was our last night, I just informed the front desk upon check-out.
I will visit the Lodge again, but probably will just use day passes to the waterpark and reside at one of the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the fourth floor away from Magiquest. Some of the roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank unccrazygirl13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Durham, Nc
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My wife and I surprised my daughter with a trip to Great Wolf Lodge for her sweet 16 birthday. We were all excited about the trip and had heard good things about Great Wolf lodge from others. The cost of the room ($425.00 per night for a family suit) was a bit hard to swallow but considering it was for my daughters sweet 16 I looked past the price. I discovered that booking early is rewarded by cheaper rates and procrastinating as I did will cost you dearly. Book early and save money as I did not.

For the price point, I was expecting a room worthy of the cost but it was just a well decorated common hotel room and "suite" it was not. A "Suite" to me is a large room often with a separate bedroom and comfortable amenities and living area. This was far from that and for all intents and purposes was a run of the mill standard room. The room was well decorated and clean and tidy but the bathroom and room in general was small. In my point of view this room was NOT worth the cost. I have paid far less for a room at the Embassy Suites and actually got a real suite and a better overall experience.

The water park was nice and did offer the whole family good fun. The game room was populated with many games to keep the kids very busy but the highlight for my daughter was the MagicQuest quest through the hotel. Teenagers can be hard to please but this above all, including the waterpark, was enjoyed by my daughter the most.

Food quality was average to below average but with a high price tag. Service was very good and employees were all nice and responsive.

If you are looking for a well rounded hotel stay with the benefit of an indoor waterpark you will be somewhat disappointed as I was. If you can look over the overpriced room and dining experience, and just average food in favor of the waterpark this will serve your purpose.

Overall I do not think that this was a good value for what we paid and I would not think about paying what I did for this hotel stay again.

Room Tip: There are plenty of restaurants close by and a large outlet mall within a 5 minute drive that I woul...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sqldatapro
Knightdale, North Carolina
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I have been wanting to go to the Great Wolf Lodge since it openend in Concord. The reviews made it more appealing. Finally we broke down and decided to go for a night. The water park is fun for kids, but the set up leads to a very crowded, and loud space. The lines for the slides moved pretty quickly. Be careful when standing in the lines that you don't step on the chewed up gum, and other sticky substances on the floor. The overall waterpark experience was good. The bowling is really fun and easy for kids. The arcade has a claw game that gives you four chances to win, two for toys and two for candy. My kids had a lot of fun.
Now the not so good. We stayed in the family den room. The beds are supposedly new, but the are lumpy and cave in towards the middle. I had the worst night sleep that caused me to take Tylenol in the morning because of how sore the bed made me. If you like firm beds you are okay. We ordered pizza from the Wolf Den, and even though there was an empty restaurant right next to it, we had to eat in the lobby. When we asked if we could use a table since we had small children we were told to go eat at the waterpark. It isn't worth the $300 a night that they charge.you are better off going to the Dunes Village Resort in Myrtle Beach. We have gone there for half the cost. There waterpark is broken up into two spaces which usually means one is less crowded.

4 Thank Ajnourie
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Concord, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge.

In regards to price, the room rate does include waterpark admission; we hear from our guests that they find a Great Wolf Lodge stay to be a good value. I apologize that this was not that case for your trip.

We also offer a variety of deals on our website or you can sign up for our ePack to receive regular emails with discounts and sales.

I hope that you and your family will visit us again in the future.

Best Wishes,
Phillip Cunningham
charleston sc
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We went as a family of four (two kids ages 7 and 11.) After reading many negative reviews, we were a bit hesitant, but tried to go with our eyes open and were pleasantly surprised. If you want a fun, kid focused getaway, it is a fabulous place.

First the positives: The themeing is the best that I have ever seen other than at Disney World. Several characters, fixtures, decorations, and even furniture all focus on the forest theme. The rooms are clean and more than large enough for a family of four. The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful. The assortment of activities kept both children more than happy for our stay. And the bathing suit machine in the changing room did and excellent job dying our suits before we got back in the car!

Now for the very few disappointments: it is expensive, but we set limits that we were comfortable with, and was fine. The waterpark was smaller than we expected. It could definitely use a lazy river, simple area to just swim in, and a hot tub to relax very tired muscles. Once, a lifeguard was simply not paying attention: When we in the wave pool the first time, an older child (apprx 10) was tossed from her innertube and clearly could not swim. A nearby parent help her out, but not a single guard ever reacted.

Now for a few tips: if your children are younger or you are noise sensitive, take a noise machine or request a room far from the Magiquest area. It is loudest between 8 and 11 pm. Take goggles, the chemical is the waterpark can quickly irritate your eyes, do not worry about exercise - between the stairs to the larger slides and the stairs for Magiquest, we got a workout! Finally, if you need to purchase a wand, Magiquest is pricey, but entertained the kids for hours!!!

Room Tip: The lowest floor has the waterpark and no Magiquest!
1 Thank chasnative
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I cannot say enough great things about the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord/Charlotte. We have 2 sons, ages 4.5 & 18 months. The 4 year old has always been a little wary of loud noises and water, but he really came alive here. We have never seen him enjoy a vacation so much. The baby did pretty well too. The resort is extremely family friendly and we had no issues as far as accommodations and activities for all members of the family. My husband and I each took time out to enjoy a massage at the spa, which was heavenly and a good value in my opinion. We enjoyed the dinner buffet one night and the breakfast buffet. I felt they were priced well and offered many different options, including several "kid friendly" choices. We ordered pizza one day which was good as well. My only complaints would be that there was only 1 elevator which made things complicated with the heavy amounts of stroller and suitcase traffic. Lots of waiting on the elevator. Also, there seemed to be lots of communication issues with the staff. We were told incorrectly THREE TIMES about where to go for mini golf, which involved lots of elevator waiting (for nothing, incidentally). The first time we played mini golf, we were given our clubs and sent on our way. Later that day, we went back and suddenly we had to pay $15. Odd. THere were also issues with ordering our pizza lunch from the bar. Nobody seemed to know what was going on there. Overall though, everyone we encountered was so friendly and willing to help. Our baby got sick all over the hotel room however housekeeping was there quickly and fully sanitized everything without complaint. They offered us pedialyte and other options and showed genuine concern. The facility was very clean (and I am NOT a fan of water parks because I feel they are covered with bacteria). This place is heavily maintained to ensure that it's as clean as possible. We cannot wait to return! It's so close to shopping and other restaurants. I expected to pay a lot more than what we did. We also stayed in a Wolf Den Suite which was great for the kids and very spacious. Definitely one of the best, least-stressful vacations we've taken as a family. Also, the rooms were very quiet. We never heard our neighbors and in a hotel full of children, you'd expect to hear lots of noise.

2 Thank Lindsey46
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I read many many Trip Advisor reviews before leaving on this trip and was more than a little apprehensive about what we would find when we arrived. I was so glad to be more than pleasantly surprised about almost every aspect of Great Wolf Lodge. First let me start by giving a little information on me. I am a person who appreciates luxury but doesn't demand it. I do, however expect customer service and attention. Small details are not something that will upset me and I am fine away from home. I don't expect hotels, friends homes, etc to have all the comforts of home. We arrived at GWL on a Friday evening around 6pm. I stood in line to check in and waited about 5 minutes. Check in was quick and we loaded our luggage at the door and took it to our room on the provided luggage carts. The place was VERY clean. We stayed on the first floor (same level the water park is on--water park is located at the very center of that floor) and were at the far end. We had a Kid's Cabin room and we shared it with another couple. We had three kids (ages 2, 3, and 4) between the two families and they LOVED having their own TV and room with bunk beds. The room was also VERY clean and very roomy. The online pictures on the GWL don't do its size justice. We had 7 people total and I never felt crowded or cramped. The bathroom was also roomy. Many reviewers commented about the light/fan combo and its noise but I found it to be your average light/fan combo that you see in a lot of hotel bathrooms. I didn't find it exceptionally noisy. The sheets and towels provided were fine. Were they 700 thread count sheets and Egyptian towels? No, but they were fine and not flimsy. Other reviewers talked about how hard the pillows were. I found them to be firm but not hard or uncomfortable. The bed in our room was comfy and we slept well in it on Friday night. We never heard any outside noise from the park, other guests, etc. The room was quiet and quite dark thanks to the heavy curtain that hung over the sliding glass door. Saturday night we switched to the pull out sofa bed so that our friends could have the bed one night as well. Sleeping on the sofa bed was the only negative experience of the weekend. It was not comfortable at all but it was fine for one night only. The comfort level was so lacking though that if we make this an annual trip (which we think we will) we'll probably bring an air mattress next time and sleep on that instead of the sleeper sofa. We took advantage of the fridge, microwave, and coffee pot and had breakfast and lunch in our room. We did eat some snacks from the Bear Paw Sweets and Eats that was located right outside the hotel entrance to the water park. We had ice cream and fudge and payed about $6 for both. We had smaller servings of both items. They were both good. We also bought a couple of cups of coffee from the Dunkin' Donuts inside the hotel and payed about $4 for two medium/large cups. Otherwise we did not eat in the hotel. Most of the reviewers said the food was bad so we avoided the restaurants inside GWL all together. We grabbed Zaxby's Friday night and went to the Texas Land and Cattle Steakhouse for a sit down dinner Saturday night. Both of these places are within five minutes of the GWL. The Texas Land and Cattle Steakhouse was your average family restaurant. It was similar to a Chili's or an Outback. We had two dinner salads(that included steak), two kids meals, and a bottle of wine for about $65. The water park was great! As others have said the life guards were exceptional. You won't EVER see one sit down and they are constantly moving and scanning the water. My daughter floated face down in the water for about 5 seconds before a life guard was hovering over her. I pulled her up quickly so he could see that she was just swimming that way on purpose and not in danger. The slides were very fun and our 4 year old could ride everything but the Howling Tornado slide. The Howling Tornado is NUTS! So much fun! The 2 and 3 year olds were limited to the pools and smaller slides and play areas. They loved all of it and had no idea they were missing anything. The park is clean and we never utilized a locker rental but left our stuff on one of the many tables provided and it was fine and never bothered. We left all of our valuables in our room but not in the safe and they were fine. We used the towels that were provided in the park and they served the purpose fine. They will give you as many towels as you need. They also provide life jackets in the park at no charge. Saturday night we took the kids into the arcade and we cashed $3 for tokens. Our girls rode two rides and were more than satisfied. The other little boy with us rode two or three rides and was also entertained. Tokens are .25 a piece and the most expensive game I saw cost 8 tokens most averaged 3 to 4 tokens. We also took the kids to the Cub Club and the 2 and 3 year old played in the free play area for an hour and were very entertained. My 4 year old was a little bored with it after about 20 minutes but that is to be expected because of her age. (she is almost 5) We took our girls to the gift shop in the lobby Saturday night and let them each pick out a souvenir. They both chose small (hand sized) wolves (my 4 year old's was wrapped around a large sucker) for $7.99. They love them and haven't put them down since we purchased them yesterday. We did not feel nickel and dimed. There were lots of extras but we made choices for our budget and we're not afraid to tell our children 'no'. :) Every last staff member of GWL had a smile and was exceptionally helpful. We made a request for some fresh linens on our way out to dinner and when we returned the bed had been remade with them. We were totally satisfied with this trip and with the GWL. We had a blast and would recommend this place to anyone with kids!

Room Tip: If you are planning to sleep on the pull out sofa bed you might want to bring an air mattress instea...
3 Thank willtravelforfood123
Franklinville, NJ
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Enjoyed our stay, staff were very good, friendly, helpful. No negative experiences except maybe the length of time it took to get food at the water park's snack shop (hot dogs, cheeseburgers, french fries). It formed a long line even at 2pm. We were bad customers for GWL. The snack shop was the only time in our 2 night stay that we bought any food there. Prices for the meals weren't bad at $7-8 ish. That included fries and a drink. Same prices for kids meals, but they also included apple slices and a cool souvenir paw print bendy straw with the GWL logo. LOTS of really close-by alternatives for food.

Denny's at the Concord Mills Mall has kids eat free (or 20% off bill) when you show your GWL wrist band. GWL had kids eat free promo but their buffet was still going to be $50 rather than the $20 at Denny's.

Or bring your own food! With a mini-fridge and microwave in the room, we decided we could make an easy breakfast and lunch. There's a Wal-Mart across from Concord Mills Mall as well. Bought snacks, microwavable breakfast sandwiches, cereal, and muffins for breakfast. We grabbed a pack of hot dogs and buns for lunch.

Bowling room just opened, which is 5 or so in-line arcade like bowling alley lanes. They are about half the size of a real bowling alley and the bowling balls are really small. (Cost: $5 per 10 frames.)

Our two sons are 3 and 5. Our tall 5 year old was tall enough to ride everything (with an adult for raft rides) except for the tornado. Our 3 year old only the kiddie area and pools with assistance. He was tall enough to go down the big splash bucket structure slides by himself, but we weren't allowed to go down with him at the same time. I understand safety, but it kind of doesn't make sense. He loved the kiddie area, but we were bored watching him while the other adult was with our 5 year old doing everything else. We joined together in the pools however. Great that the water park was open until 9pm, because the three year old needed a time to nap in the mid-afternoon.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the end of the building and furthest away from the lobby also have an elevator. Als...
1 Thank mpheadley