“Great Family Getaway...candidate feedback”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Family Getaway...candidate feedback”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We took our 7 and 5 yr old boys to GWL for a quick night away. We don't live far from Concord, so it was an easy drive and it was a 'hotel experience'.

We experienced many of the good and bad of past TripAdvisor postings - great waterpark fun, lots to do, clean facilties coupled with expensive food and a small outdoor pool. We were glad that we ate off campus near Concord Mills Mall (every chain known seems to be there!) No surprises from the posts on TripAdvisor.

Totally agree with the mixed reviews on the staff - everyone we met was very friendly, but they weren't forthcoming with info unless you asked. Don't assume anything (i.e. what's included, what time does xyz open, how does something work) - if you want to know, ask.

One thing to point out is bed comfort. We got the 2 queen family suite (figured our boys would be so wiped from the waterpark and dinner/games at Dave and Busters that they wouldn't really enjoy a suite and we were so right!). The bed in the suite was very soft and noisy (creeky) when you turned. To contrast, we love Hampton Inn beds - this was not a Hampton bed.

Also, we noticed that you can either have A/C or the fan constantly running for white noise - can't have both and the A/C was fairly noisy when it turned on. If you like white noise - bring some with you - don't rely on the A/C.

Line waits on the waterpark were reasonable. Carowinds lines are MUCH longer. Slides are over quickly, but are fun. Also, they're in the same section as each other, so it's not a big deal to go up the stairs for your slide. Good planning and layout, in my opinion!

Note to management: what's the reason for allowing the few GWL floats in the wave pool? The wave pool is small and everyone is bouncing off of the few floats. Would seem during crowded days the floats are more of a liability or distraction rather than fun...just our opinion.

Overall, great night away and we will return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Elmcityboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Washington Court House, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed in a Wolf Den room which included bunk beds for our 2 kids, ages 5 & 7. They enjoyed having their own TV at night. They were able to ride all slides but our 5 year old couldn't ride the Howling Tornado. The Tower Show is worth watching at 8pm for little ones followed by Storytime. The kids loved Magiquest and we were able to have them share a wand by occupying one with taking pictures or playing a game in the game room. After a quest was completed (about 20 min) then they would switch off with the wand.

We did not eat on site but did find a great Japanese Steakhouse near the entrance to the property. We also did not partake in the build-a-bear, spa, or other options. Overall this is a great place to stay, a clean facility, and many activities to enjoy within.

Tip: The best time to swim inside is at 9am when it opens. You can enjoy any activity at this time. The park is most crowded from noon to dinner when there is overlap from people arriving whose rooms are not ready and those departing getting their last swim in.

3 Thank OHfamilyguy
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

We took 4 kids aged 6 Months, 12 Months, 3.5 years old and 4 years old here in December and it was a GREAT time. We were able to check in a few hours early - despite the long line at the check in. The rooms were designed with kids in mind. This property had the "Disney" feel to me - but in Concord NC. I thought it was a great 2 day getaway for the kids. Really no need to ever leave the property. Plenty of activities to stay busy for 2 days. Restaraunt onsite is good enough. There is a bar for adults and Magiquest was a real hit with the kids. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Shelby, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

First of all, Let me say this, It was fun and we will be back. However, you must adhere to my advice.

We stayed for three nights in the Wolf Den suite. The room and beds was comfortable and I can't complain on anything about our room.

We arrived around 2:30 in the afternoon, and our room wasn't available when we checked in. They gave us passes to go ahead and enter the water park. We however just looked around at everything and just wanted to check things out. Our room wasn't ready till 4:00 on the dot. So if you arrive early be prepared for your room not to be availble. Also when you check in they tell you nothing! be sure to ask questions! They don't tell you where to find the luggage carts or even offer you assistance. So heads up. Be prepared to do a lot of walking.

I know I should've mentioned this before but the ages of our children are 8 and 3. We did purchase the pup pass and paw pass for the boys. Worth it, but next time I'm just going to purchase one paw pass. When we went to the stuffing station to get the stuffed animals stuffed my 8 year old rolled his eyes and didn't care for that, but my 3 year old loved it! The woman that was working the station wasn't energetic and really ruined the mood of the whole build a bear thing. The magi was pretty neat. My three year old wanted the wand just because his big brother got one. So trying to get them to share one wand was a battle.

FOOD.......... Please let me say this..... Bring your own food from home! plenty of snacks and drinks. We bought lunchables and sandwitch stuff for lunch and mini boxes of cereal for breakfast. For supper we went out to eat. There are plenty of places to choose from around the lodge. We was planning to eat at the lodge but didn't see paying 31.99 a person for supper buffet. That is just ridiculous! We did on our last morning there eat at the dunkin doughnuts. The service there was outstanding! I believe the nicest customer service there in the whole lodge!

And yes the waterpark! Alright, they provide towels if you need them but they are small! I recomend bring some beach towels from home. Like I said the towels are really small. We went on the weekend of forth of July and it was packed! you could hardly find seats to set your stuff down. We made the best of it! my husband an 8 year old loved all the water slides! I however had to stay with the three year old as he was to small for the slides. He was having a hard time loving the water. He enjoyed the outdoor pool over the indoor. I'm not sure why but looking around other children his age loved the water! SO don't bank on what I'm saying about my three year old. All toddlers are different! The life guards are awesome! They really are on top of there game. Kudos to them! Watepark is very clean and yes very strong on the chlorine be prepared on it to knock you down when you enter the waterpark. But hey, least it was clean and not nasty!

We liked the game room pretty good! 5.00 for 20 tokens gets pricey if you go for three nights in a row. All in all my 8 year old loved the game room!

Storytime was fun for my three year old and I. My husband and 8 year old thought it was lame. So heads up there!

We will most def. go again but only for one maybe two nights. It's an exhuasting trip but the kids had a blast and that was what the trip was for, is for them! I hope my review helps out. :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank twowildboys
MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed for two nights. I think that is just enough time for a family. Honestly, everything cam be done in one day. We did not eat at any of the restaurants at the resort. The food did not look appealing and it was expensive.

The water slides and rides were great. My three year olds (I have twins) loved it. They were able to get on the rides and in the wave pool and in the outside pool. Unfortunately they were too short for some of the other rides. I think I'll wait until they get a little taller to go back so they can fully enjoy all the water rides. The life guards were very diligent and always on guard. I never saw them distracted or fooling around.

The arcade was fun but a rip off. It didn't matter how many points you scored on a game you ALWAYS received the same amount of tokens. My kids enjoyed it nevertheless.

The room was very clean and up to date. We had a wolf den room where the kids had bunk beds and their own TV. I'm spoiled by this. I plan to Always request this type of room.

Room Tip: The ground floor away from Magic quest was nice and queit.
1 Thank MomofManyMd
cooldadmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

we call the front desk to tell them their wifi was slow and they told us to call their wifi vendr ourselves to troubleshoot it. we should have been spending time in the water park not spending time troubleshooting their technical issues and managing their vendorfor them. Yhe front desk clerk was very rude and dismissive. at 400 dollars per night we expected better service

• Stayed July 2011
Honea Path, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I have a 21 month old and he loves the water. We felt like he would have fun playing in the toddler area etc.
We go to the Lodge around 2:30. The guy that met us outside told us that our room was not ready but that we could get a water pass and head on to the water park. We got in the long line to check in and our room was ready. There were kids everywhere. It was definitely a packed house this past weekend. We got to our room and changed into our suits and headed towards the water attractions. There was no chair to be had inside. They had all but been taken. We were taking our son around to get acclimated to the water and came across Ft. Mackensie. It is a very interactive tree house with water coming out from everywhere. There was water fountains coming out from the ground and my son just loved that. There was hardly anybody around but all of a sudden there was a big crowd that had gathered around us. I thought that was kind of unusual but didn't think much about it at the time. Well, before it was all said and done, my son and husband got drenched with a 1000 gallon bucket of water that tips over. They had no idea what had just happened. I am warning everybody now. Watch out for the huge bucket of water!! lol
Also, watch out for the Howlin Tornado. It was a bit scary since we didn't know what to expect. I think I am sore from that ride.
Customer Service was good. We requested a pack n play crib for our son and they brought it right to our room. It was hard as a brick with little cushion so my son whined all night but he survived.
All in all, I just feel like for the price we paid for 1 night including a not so great breakfast, we could have gotten so much more for our money somewhere else. We were hardly in the room. It really was just a place to lay your head at night. I would advise to eat outside the lodge. There are plenty of restaurants around to enjoy,
I doubt we will go again.