“Loved it, can't get rained out!”

Great Wolf Lodge Concord
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Loved it, can't get rained out!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Wow! We got right in during check-in, even got our room an hour early. The wristband you get as your room key also has the ability to charge things to your room. This was so convenient and we didn't need our wallets once. In fact, one thing I loved about this vacation was that everyone was either coming or going to the water park and so there was never a need to "dress up" or "do hair/makeup"! The water park was great fun, a little smaller than we thought it would be, but really that was fine as it was easier to locate our older kids when we needed to. There certainly was no trouble "finding" your way around as another review said. The water was indeed a bit cold, but I think what made it so chilly was the large room not being warmer. But we survived and still loved it. I was surprised that my kids (and husband) had as much fun doing the MagicQuest game as they did at the water park! Be prepared to spend $$ on the wands and game.

One suggestion my husband had was for a staff member trained to be a "Quest Master." A staff member dressed like the main wizard in the "tree" videos and placed in that area, trained to help guests learn the MagiQuest Game, navigate clues, or at least get it working. We routinely noticed many parents frustrated trying to figure out the game, and many who had difficulties getting their wands to work. The quest store personnel seemed overwhelmed trying to complete purchases while also dealing with this. My own son had to return his wand after they attempted to fix it twice with no luck. It was getting difficult to see him so upset when it would work for two minutes then "give out." Thankfully the staff just replaced it. The game itself was great fun to play and to watch others playing. I was impressed that my kids (and husband) seemed to have as much fun doing the quests as they did at the waterpark!

The food in the Loose Moose that is ordered off menu was very good! I can't say enough about how tasty the Berry Good Salad, quesadilla, and burger was. However, the buffet the same every night was disappointing, and if you didn't come early then the food would be cold, or lukewarm at best. I also suggest you do not eat a pizza from this area. It was not good. A large pizza had all but two slices left after my family couldn't eat it. There was so much cheese it was like plastic.

The Pizza Hut Express was a great alternative to the restaurant, but there was often only one staff member out front, trying to serve the ice cream shop and the pizza customers. He said the other worker had to be in back preparing food or there would be nothing to buy later. He tried hard to keep up, but the parents at the ice cream shop were getting very disgruntled at the wait.

The room (Grizzly Bear Suite) was awesome. Little chilly due to the minimal covering on the beds, but we requested extra blankets and got them no problem. Most of the staff in the hotel/park were great. I was looking for "Disney-like" service that I had heard about, and for the most part we got that. The one place we didn't was in the "animal stuffing station" when my young kids went to pick out their animals. The young staff member was obviously not enjoying her job. Although she used the stock phrases like, "Give your animal a test hug," she did this in a monotone voice with no smile or enthusiasm. The experience could have been a very cute moment for the kids with just a little sunshine from her.

One final comment is regarding the child life vests offered in the water park. My daughter used the one for under 50 lbs. After one day of use, the strap that goes between her legs had rubbed her inner thigh so raw that she was in pain the next day. We had to use a different size than she needed because of the strap issue. I don't know if there is a solution to this, but even if the lifeguard at the door mentioned to beware of the rubbing we might have been able to stop it from getting so bad.

The Gr8 Space for teens and the Arcade were fantastic. Most games worked and the staff were attentive. The few times we lost tokens in a game or didn't receive the promised tickets, the staff immediately rectified the problem. What a relief as so many arcades are filled with non-working games. My older two kids enjoyed the Gr8Space and it was well tended by staff, making us comfortable leaving them there.

Well, I hope you are able to use this information. We loved the idea of the Great Wolf Lodge, and had a wonderful vacation. I liked it so much that I thought it was worth writing with feedback. I hope management responds to these reviews as I'd hate to see these very fixable things bring down others' reviews of a great place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sushishrink

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Recently, I stayed at the GWL and had a bad experience. The trip was meant for a relaxation getaway but it turned out not to be. The waterpark is good for young children(2-10) and pretty much that's it. For Adults, it is kind of lame, which is perfectly fine if that's not what the company is aiming for. There were not places to just relax in the water besides the overcrowded wave pool (kids and adults bumping into you constantly) and the overcrowded side pool ( basketball hopes). I have been to other waterparks where there was plenty to do. Everyone had a equal opportunity to enjoy everything at least once (i.e. even on a saturday). Kalahari Resorts and Splash Lagoon in Erie Pa are among the list. I was contemplating going to Kalahari or GWL Mason but the rise in gas prices kept me from going far, far away. At these resorts, a room runs around $200/per not $300++/night.
Besides the waterpark, the hotel did not seem like a luxurious hotel for the amount of money that I paid. The towels were not soft at all. We noticed that there was not a fitted sheet on the bed. My spouse thought the sheet protector was the fitted sheet until I pointed out a stain on the protector, Yuck! The walls are incredibly thin to which I could guess what the people next door/up stairs were doing. Cell phone signal and Wi-Fi signal is incredibly weak on the first floor. The air conditioner unit sounds like jet turbine engine. The rooms lack information about the area such as restraurants, shopping and attractions. Luckily, there was a huge mall with tons of restraurants nearby. The bed was a nightmare. There were lumps in the bed that made it impossible to sleep on and not to mention the pillows are hard as rock.

Here is a list of things I noticed or concerns I have:
1. Why is the price more at this location compared to northern locations? This waterpark has less to offer compared to the GWL waterparks up north.
2. The first time going through the doors in the waterpark, there was no one checking wrist bands.
3. Having people pay for Lockers when their rooms were not ready. If we dropped a lot of dough for a night, it would be nice to store our valuables in a security locker. Kalahari Resorts offer for you to store your stuff in a security locker.
4.The bathroom layouts not practical. Too liitle space between stalls and sinks.
5. The entrance to the waterpark is too enclosed for the amount of people entering the waterpark or going to the sweet shop.
6. Some Kids were running around without supervision. It is stated in the rules to watch your children all the time. Parents should be more watchful especially in a large crowded area. Who knows who enters the waterpark especially in a crowded parts? Going to the waterpark is a FAMILY Event not to abandoned your kid.
7. Nothing was posted around the waterpark to tell where everything is located at. No rules were posted in the waterpark. Kids were running around and cutting in line. I saw several kids and some adults get off their tube and went in the line again despite a line for tubes.
8. Lines were not clearly marked. Standed in line for 20 minutes wanting to ride the River Rapids and not knowing I was in the twister line.Other waterparks has a line in the middle of the steps to distinguished the lines.
9. Not enough Lifeguards for the rides. One lifeguard for two sets of rides not a good idea especially around little kids. The lifeguard would tell them to step up to the ride and then go to the other ride to assist those riders. During this time, a little kid could accidentally go on Red when people are still on the ride. The throughput was lacking. Hence, the lines were slow to move.
10. Why do you have to have the outside pool close until memorial day? It was 85 degrees and sunny.
11. During the whole time I was in the waterpark, I did not see lifequards check the water quality. At least, check the quality in the wave pool.

On a saturday, I knew the waterpark would be packed but I was expecting more stuff to do to avoid overcrowding. I just thought that the overall waterpark layout was poorly organized. Wave pools are fun but not when it is the only pool available to use.

My recommendation to others: Do you research before spending $$$ at this park? There are other GWL that are way cheaper and have more to do. This park is meant for families with young children (2-10).

Oh, watch out for the Resort Hidden Fee. The services that are complimentary are not complimentary! This is a money pit. Watch your spending carefully.

Room Tip: Do your research on other GWL waterparks!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Consumer16
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This place is all about the kids which is evident from the moment you enter the building. When we arrived, a show was taking place in the lobby for the kids. During my 24 hour stay, I saw three more shows in this same area. We stayed in a standard room which was actually very nice. It had great counter space which was ideal. There was also a refridgerator and microwave and the couch area was private from the bed area with a wall. The hotel was very clean and I noticed maintenace people working at all hours to maintain it. The waterpark was clean as well and had ample towels which were actually warm from the dryer. There were plenty of food options as well such as Dunkin Donuts and Pizza Hut. We went to the restaurant for dinner and had the buffet mostly out of convenience as the kids didn't want to leave the building. The buffet wasn't outstanding, but I would go back to it again. There is a gift shop right next to the waterpark that has all swim wear for those who might have forgotten something which is also convenient. There is a full blown arcade and also another area for video games. Note that the video game room is an extra charge as is the Magic Quest activity. The kids LOVED the Magic Quest so it was worth the extra cost. However, you might want to factor these extra costs in as this ends up not being a cheap outing. The water slides were fun despite some long lines during Spring Break. The outdoor pool however is very small and doesn't have any water slides. Had I gone in the summer, I would have been very disappointed by this as it's simply too small for the size of the resort and you expect a waterpark to have waterslides at all the pools. But overall, this trip exceeded my expectations and I would go back.

1 Thank NittanyL
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Kids loved the bunk beds. Waterpark was very clean and secure. Lines moved very slow for better rides (but that is true for most parks). Staff was very friendly. Didn't think that much of extras like story time. Hotel came out to $500 for one night... Ouch. But a little more reasonable when you factor in 2 days of water park x2 days.

• Stayed April 2011
GA
Reviewed April 13, 2011

My husband and I took our three teenagers (17, 14, 13) to GWL in April 2011 for Spring Break. We booked two nights in the family suite for $260 per night. We paid $30 for a late check-out.

Upon check-in we were offered an upgrade to the largest room, the Grizzly Bear Suite for $50 per night. This room goes for $430 per night. When we inquired about adding a night to our stay we were told the rate would only be $190 so we booked the third night for much less than what we originally booked our first 2 nights in a smaller room for. The Grizzly Bear Suite has two full bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a wet bar area, dining table and living room area. There were 3 tv's, a deep tub, a separate shower, mini-fridge, microwave, and safe. The Grizzly Bear Suites are located at the ends of the hallways so be prepared for a small trek to get to the central area of the hotel. Fortunately you do not have to all the way to the middle to enter and exit the hotel. We parked near the end of the building and used the alternate entrances which were opened with our wristbands, just like our hotel room. Wristbands can be used for charging purchases back to your room but children's wristbands are offered without this feature. We chose to put an allowance on each of our children's wristbands so that they would have some spending ability without having to keep up with cash or us worrying about them running up a large bill.

Our teenagers enjoyed MagiQuest even more than the water park. MagiQuest is spread throughout all floors of the hotel, but only in the central area and not down the halls of hotel rooms. We had played MagiQuest in Myrtle Beach but the kids enjoyed this setting as well. The staff in the MagiQuest shop were very helpful. The air temperature in the water park area was warm and humid. The water temperature was comfortable for us, and we prefer warm water. There is a water fort, wave pool, and more than 3 slides. The outdoor pool looks like it is being updated. The outdoor miniature golf course was fun.

We did not eat inside GWL as it was overpriced as it always is if you dine inside a hotel. The dinner buffet was $20 per person and the food looked average. We chose to dine out instead at On the Border, Quaker Steak & Lube, and the nearby Iron Horse Saloon. We also visited Chickfila, Panera, and McDonald's for breakfast items. There are plenty of restaurants nearby as well as shopping, including a nice (but smallish) mall.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone with kids. MagiQuest and the water park will no doubt keep you busy. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. Of course the indoor water park area is going to smell like chlorine but it wasn't overwhelming. The water temperature did seem to vary a little from one day to the next but it was always comfortable. One of the days we were there it was quite cold and windy outside so it was so nice to be able to enjoy our indoor vacation.

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade and/or extra nights.
2 Thank donna f
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I read quite a few bad reviews, so I was a little nervous about coming here, but I guess it's true that people are more likely to complain publicly than they are to give praise. At any rate, we really had a good time, but you do have to know what you are getting into...

It is NOT CHEAP. We stayed one night, and besides the charge for the room itself (which does include the waterpark for 2 days), we spent about $200 on food, MagiQuest and souvenirs for a family of 4 (one of whom is a 2-year old, so we didn't really spend anything on her),

At least for us, the kids weren't at all interested in the food, so I'd recommend saving your money there (there are places nearby within walking distance, send someone out to bring food back so the kids can keep playing). We did the buffet for dinner, but regretted it. The food was ok (My husband really enjoyed it), but our kids were so wound up and excited to explore and do stuff that they didn't want to eat. Plus our 2-year-old was finished before the rest of us started eating, so I didn't get to eat much trying to keep her still. I really wish we'd just taken a pizza back to our room.

MagiQuest does seem pricey for a game, but it's really fun for the kids. Plus there are kids EVERYWHERE running around with the wands up and down the stairs and down the halls that it's hard not to get into the spirit of it. We just got one wand for our 9-year old and took turns running around with him trying to find all the objects. We only completed 3 out of the 9 quests, I kinda wish we had been able to do more, but it was fun anyway.

The arcade was really nice, and surprisingly I spent less there than anywhere else. Plus our son walked away with a few "prizes" that he got for turning in tickets, and they seemed like better prizes than what we get at arcades back home. Still junk, of course, but slightly better junk, if there is such a thing :-)

The waterpark was fun for everyone. I was worried that it might be too crazy for our little one, but she loved the little splash pool area with the small slides. I was too nervous to let her go up the stairs to play on the little platform and ride the slides down, but it's easy enough to just lift her and put her on the small slides, which we did over and over and over again. They also have plenty of life vests in infant/toddler sizes, so that helped reduce my fear a little as well. Our 9-year-old was over the height requirements for everything, so he was able to ride the slides, play in the wave pool, and just entertain himself.

It is crowded, but we were able to find a couple of chairs both days to set our stuff down. And everybody seemed to have decent manners and were respectful. I didn't see any teenagers roughhousing or causing trouble, people were just having a good time. There were lifeguards everywhere, and they really appeared to be paying attention and enforcing the rules. I didn't worry about letting my 9-year-old explore and ride the slides on his own. It is hard to find your family members in the crowd, so make sure you have a meeting place established.

I also thought the water was fine. I've seen a lot of complaints about how cold it is, maybe it's different on different days, but it was plenty warm for us, including our toddler.

And as for the room...it was clean, the kids loved the "kid kamp", and I didn't think the beds were all that uncomfortable. It's always hard to sleep in a different place, it's jut not what you're used to, but I thought the rooms were just fine, and everything was spotless. We got a special deal on the kid kamp suite, but if I were to book again, I'd just go with a regular room, especially for just one night. We spent so little time in the room, the kids hardly got to enjoy their little "kamp" at all.

Overall, we though it was great. Prepare to open your wallets, prepare to be exhausted (particularly if you have a toddler that likes to run up & down the halls like ours did!), and prepare to see TONS of kids running around the lobby, and up & down the stairs playing MagiQuest. If you know what you're getting into, you'll have a great time.

3 Thank amummert
Atlanta
Reviewed April 4, 2011

My sister and I just returned from an overnight stay with our 3 kids (6, 4, 2). We had high hopes after an easy check-in. However, once we got into the waterpark, our experience began its downward spiral.
1. There were no guides/maps or signs available of the waterpark. We had to wander aimlessly to find anything.
2. There were no staff available to assist with general questions.
3. The staff that were there, the lifeguards, were surly and offered no assistance.
4. The water was COLD! All the kids (not just ours) had quivering, blue lips. I witnessed one father complain and watched as he was dismissed by management.
5. The food: atrocious and overpriced. I cannot stress enough how inedible the food is.
6. The theming and entertainment is kitschy. We took our kids to the bedtime story. The show was so awful even the kids were zoned out by the halfway point.
We had planned to take our kids back to the waterpark on checkout day but they didn't want to go back. That says it all.

• Stayed April 2011