“Not what I expected”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Concord
Toronto, Canada
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A recent 3 night stay left us extremely disappointed in this hotel and it should not be carrying the Marriott name. Check-in was easy and front desk staff very friendly however having booked many months earlier, I expected to at least have the room of my choice (I booked balcony) but instead, got quite the opposite, (roadside view and no balcony). We were told that first come, first served.In other words, walk-ins could get best rooms first. If I don't cancel my reservation, then they should hold the room I booked many months ago. Upon arrival, the rooms are clean but really, REALLY small. Not so much as a bottle of water available in the room (we were willing to pay for it if it was available). I don't want to go down to the lobby at 3 a.m. to buy water when I'm thirsty. The shower was an old style tub/shower combination. Bathroom counter space very limited. Closet space? What closet space? Most of the closet was taken up with open shelving to hold an extra blanket. The beds face the window. They were very comfortable. The outdoor patio in the back was really nice. The bar was a terrible experience. They remove the complimentary coffee station so you have to go to the bar to buy it. Each time I went, I got "please wait as I'm making a new pot". How can that be when the hotel was nearly all booked? The bar is not open in the afternoon. Why would they miss such revenue when the hotel is booked with a convention? We all went across the street to the Embassy Suites instead where we were fully catered to. One night, while waiting for a martini, my drink would be set aside to accomodate making drinks for two others who came up to the bar. After about 15 minutes, I was being served my martini when I noticed red lipstick on my glass. The bartender apologized and threw out the martini. She was going to make me another one but I just didn't want to wait another 15 minutes so I asked for a red wine instead. She said she didn't have any cabernet's. Frustrated and having waited at least 30 minutes to get a drink, I said "fine, just give me a glass of that white wine instead". There was not much left in the bottle and I got less than 1/2 a glass full but got chared a full glass. She didn't even offer to open another bottle, instead, she just handed me the glass 'as is'. There are no safes in the room. Be prepared to make several trips to the front desk to retrieve 'safe' items when you need them. Now for the worst part of all. Being there on business, we were on a tight itinerary. We'd leave our room in the morning, go back late afternoon to freshen up before heading out for our evening itinerary. On Day 2, we got to our room to change ( 4 pm) only to find the cleaning ladies cleaning our room. We had to wait outside of our room until they were done. This forced us to arrive late for our business dinner reservations . I went downstairs to make the front desk aware of this situation. The next day, we arrived at our room around the same time, walked in and found our room exactly as it was when we left in. In other words, it had not been cleaned. I went downstairs to talk to front desk. I was then told that there is an order to which rooms get cleaned first. (not many rooms on each floor). Considering I made them aware the day before and explained that we were on a tight itinerary, I would think they would adjust the schedule. Since we didn't have time to wait for them to come clean it, we got ready and headed out. Imagine, a Marriott hotel stay where our room doesn't get cleaned for almost 2 days? Luckily, I at least got some fresh towels from the cleaning lady's cart. Upon checkout, I asked for some type of compensation from the manager for so many inconveniences. I got none. They don't care! Don't stay there. When I got back home, I got a feedback email from the hotel. I filled it in and sent it. I didn't not hear so much as a "sorry to hear about your bad experience". Stay at Embassy Suites across the street or another hotel in the area instead.

Room Tip: Arrival early to get a room of your choice and make sure it's not on the noisy road side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank marpalde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel. The overall condition of the hotel was very clean. The room smelled fresh and was very up to date with the furniture/decor. The bed was extremely comfortable. The location is very convenient to the interstate, Concord Mills and many great restaurants. There is even a small StarBucks Coffee bar in the lobby. The staff was very nice and check in and out were quick and easy. You will not regret staying here. I stayed on the 6th floor and have no complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Nothing would make me happier than to say that this was one of the better Marriott hotels I have stayed over the course of my traveling life.... however that would be a lie. This Marriott is a disappointment to the Marriott Name.

I was traveling on a business trip and staying at this courtyard for two nights over a weekend. The check in went very smoothly and in no time at all I was in my room relaxing. However the problems started there. The first problem I had was the fact that the wifi did not work in my room. I was able to connect for short 30 second periods, before I would lose connection. A problem that is usually associated with being too far from the router. I called the front desk to get an ethernet cable which the receptionist struggled to find. She finally found one and I went down to get it. When I arrived at the counter the receptionist told me that there have been problems with the wifi because the owners bought "a bad wireless system." If the staff can't support the systems in place, how can I?

Unfortunately, that was only the tip of the iceberg. The main problem of my stay started when the room key wouldn't work. I went through approximately 7 keys before the receptionist would send up maintenance to open the door. He told me that the remote to open the door said that the lock was not on the system, which explains why my key didn't work, however he did not know how to reprogram the lock to get it to work. At one point he said he fixed it, however when I went to try it, the door did not open. In all I got about 15 keys that didn't work and for over half of my stay I had to get maintenance to let me into my room. It was incredibly aggravating and my frustration was helped by the staff lack of knowledge of the system and lack of attempt to permanently solve the problem was a disappointment.

It was not until the morning of my checkout that Lizz, the operations supervisor, offered to credit my bill for one nights stay, long after the problem had come up and far to late to appease my disappointment.

Overall, this hotel is not worthy of the Marriott name in my opinion. It did not show the customer care and service that I have come so familiar with during my travels. I hope that this hotel can place a focus on the customer in the future and attempt to solve problems faster.

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 720 if you want good wifi
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BToad2233
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

On the high end for courtyard because speedway and mall down the street. I was on business so the attractions were of no interest to me.

• Stayed April 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed for one night while on a shopping trip to Charlotte. The room was a standard hotel room setup with 2 beds. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. Room was mostly clean although a bit dusty and some hairs in the bathroom. Seems like maybe not much attention is being paid to detail in the cleaning.

Location is near the interstatate, shopping, and restaurants but you will need a car to get there.

On the downside, the beds were so hard it was like sleeping on a block of concrete and the "complimentary wireless internet" advertised on the Marriott website had a data limit after which you are charged. So don't expect unlimited internet. I also looked in the pool area in hopes of a swim. Pool is tiny and the water looked cloudy so I opted to skip it. Overall, I've stayed in much nicer places for about the same price. This one is servicable and basic - just don't expect anything special.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the highway side or near the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Decatur, GA
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I read a recent review, and I suppose if a Nascar race was going on until midnight, I'd be pretty frustrated, too. And having to pay extra for different levels of internet access doesn't sit well with me, either. That being said, I truly enjoyed my experience at this hotel. It is well built, with modern, clean lines. My room was clean, spacious, and included a refrigerator, microwave, and a flat screen tv with a slew of cable channels. There is a good bit of traffic noise on the front side of the hotel, but that's not troublesome to me. If that sort of noise might keep you up, consider requesting a room on the back side. It is disappointing that at a $139 price point, there is no breakfast included. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, there was plenty of free parking, and there is a mall and dozens of restaurants nearby. Regardless of any negatives, I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Charlie500
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was the worst hotel experience I've had in years, maybe the worst in 20 years of business travel. Bed was a rock. Speedway nearby so loud I couldn't sleep until races finally ended around midnight. I might as well have saved money and booked a Motel 6 by the train tracks. I don't know why hotel thinks that noise from a race is somehow different from any other noise that keeps you awake. Other destination hotels still manage to provide quiet rooms. You don't hear "It's a Small World" all night at a Disney hotel, so why should you have to listen to ear-splitting revving engines past midnight because they're near the race track?

I dragged in around 8:30 very tired from long work day and driving. Splurged more on Courtyard because i was in a strange town and I knew it would at least be quiet, comfortable, clean and safe. Boy was I wrong! Staff was rude at checkin. Only room left was the king suite, and they charged me full rate even though I am an elite member. No way was I going back out on that dark unfamiliar road as tired as I was. They might as well have just said: "You're screwed, and you're stuck. Deal with it."

I've staying in many Marriotts all over the us. I've even brought bus tours to the ones in Hickory and High Point as a part of my job. The short term extra profit they made by taking advantage of me that night will be lost in long term income from my company.

I don't appreciate the internet trick either, which they blamed on Time Warner Cable. Their site says "free internet", all the signs in the hotel and in the room say "free internet", only when you sit down to actually log on do you find out that the "free internet" is limited to 768k, and then they start charging. What? If my husband had emailed one picture of our kids, as he often does, I'd have gone over my download allotment. And since I can't tell how much I'm using, I hardly used it at all. What a cheap scam! When I finally get to the hotel at the end of a long day, I do look forward to seeing something on Netflix on my laptop. Not here. Very disappointing. I guess I'm lucky I had no work I absolutely had to do as I would have most days. I have never, ever, seen this trick pulled in all my years of traveling all over the US.

The bed was a rock, and the bathroom was dirty. I just went to sleep, or tried to over all the noise. I didn't really sleep at all. When I finally gave up at 6 am on a Sunday and decided I might as well be driving home instead of tossing in the rock hard bed, I got a shower. Found hair all over from the previous tenant and stains on the floor. Disgusting, but at 6 am what do you do? Pack up and change rooms?

When I told the manager after I came downstairs, she actually asked "did you check the bathroom the night before when you checked in?" My response: "no, should I have had to? I've never had a cleanliness problem at a Marriott. When I pay $150 for hotel room, I expect it to at least be clean." Is this a common complaint at this hotel?

She comped the breakfast, which was cold and terrible. And she gave me $50 off, but honestly, $99 is too much to pay for a dirty, noisy, uncomfortable room with no usable internet and in which I could not even sleep.

I spent the next day driving six hours home to Atlanta, totally exhausted. I try hard not to drive when I'm sleepy, but I had no choice but to be home by Sunday afternoon for a family commitment. I spent most of the six hours trying to keep my eyes open. I resent driving under dangerous tired conditions when I've spent that much on a room. At the very base minimum, the room should have been clean, quiet, and had a reasonably comfortable bed.

What a scam! Marriott should take its name off this hotel because it makes the whole chain look bad. Overall, I've been very happy with Marriotts over the years, but not this one.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business