“Close to perfect”

Courtyard Charlotte Concord
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Concord
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I read a recent review, and I suppose if a Nascar race was going on until midnight, I'd be pretty frustrated, too. And having to pay extra for different levels of internet access doesn't sit well with me, either. That being said, I truly enjoyed my experience at this hotel. It is well built, with modern, clean lines. My room was clean, spacious, and included a refrigerator, microwave, and a flat screen tv with a slew of cable channels. There is a good bit of traffic noise on the front side of the hotel, but that's not troublesome to me. If that sort of noise might keep you up, consider requesting a room on the back side. It is disappointing that at a $139 price point, there is no breakfast included. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, there was plenty of free parking, and there is a mall and dozens of restaurants nearby. Regardless of any negatives, I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Charlie500

Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was the worst hotel experience I've had in years, maybe the worst in 20 years of business travel. Bed was a rock. Speedway nearby so loud I couldn't sleep until races finally ended around midnight. I might as well have saved money and booked a Motel 6 by the train tracks. I don't know why hotel thinks that noise from a race is somehow different from any other noise that keeps you awake. Other destination hotels still manage to provide quiet rooms. You don't hear "It's a Small World" all night at a Disney hotel, so why should you have to listen to ear-splitting revving engines past midnight because they're near the race track?

I dragged in around 8:30 very tired from long work day and driving. Splurged more on Courtyard because i was in a strange town and I knew it would at least be quiet, comfortable, clean and safe. Boy was I wrong! Staff was rude at checkin. Only room left was the king suite, and they charged me full rate even though I am an elite member. No way was I going back out on that dark unfamiliar road as tired as I was. They might as well have just said: "You're screwed, and you're stuck. Deal with it."

I've staying in many Marriotts all over the us. I've even brought bus tours to the ones in Hickory and High Point as a part of my job. The short term extra profit they made by taking advantage of me that night will be lost in long term income from my company.

I don't appreciate the internet trick either, which they blamed on Time Warner Cable. Their site says "free internet", all the signs in the hotel and in the room say "free internet", only when you sit down to actually log on do you find out that the "free internet" is limited to 768k, and then they start charging. What? If my husband had emailed one picture of our kids, as he often does, I'd have gone over my download allotment. And since I can't tell how much I'm using, I hardly used it at all. What a cheap scam! When I finally get to the hotel at the end of a long day, I do look forward to seeing something on Netflix on my laptop. Not here. Very disappointing. I guess I'm lucky I had no work I absolutely had to do as I would have most days. I have never, ever, seen this trick pulled in all my years of traveling all over the US.

The bed was a rock, and the bathroom was dirty. I just went to sleep, or tried to over all the noise. I didn't really sleep at all. When I finally gave up at 6 am on a Sunday and decided I might as well be driving home instead of tossing in the rock hard bed, I got a shower. Found hair all over from the previous tenant and stains on the floor. Disgusting, but at 6 am what do you do? Pack up and change rooms?

When I told the manager after I came downstairs, she actually asked "did you check the bathroom the night before when you checked in?" My response: "no, should I have had to? I've never had a cleanliness problem at a Marriott. When I pay $150 for hotel room, I expect it to at least be clean." Is this a common complaint at this hotel?

She comped the breakfast, which was cold and terrible. And she gave me $50 off, but honestly, $99 is too much to pay for a dirty, noisy, uncomfortable room with no usable internet and in which I could not even sleep.

I spent the next day driving six hours home to Atlanta, totally exhausted. I try hard not to drive when I'm sleepy, but I had no choice but to be home by Sunday afternoon for a family commitment. I spent most of the six hours trying to keep my eyes open. I resent driving under dangerous tired conditions when I've spent that much on a room. At the very base minimum, the room should have been clean, quiet, and had a reasonably comfortable bed.

What a scam! Marriott should take its name off this hotel because it makes the whole chain look bad. Overall, I've been very happy with Marriotts over the years, but not this one.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Kimberly B
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Great experience, wonderful staff, lovely hotel! We came for an over night trip, visited the mall & ate dinner. All of staff were very helpful and considerate, especially the shift manager we spoke with.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The hotel itself scores a 5...new, beautiful, and comfortable. It is the staff that made this a very bad experience. The front desk clerk had a terrible attitude and was less than friendly. I complained and he actually told his manager that the customer in front of him was having an attitude with him. Seriously? Guess he never heard about customer service. I had extremely rowdy neighbors and it took 4 phone calls between 1 and 2:30 AM to get the night clerk to say something to them. Needless to say I (and my 3 children) did not sleep because after continuous phone calls about the noise, nothing was done an d it continued until 430 AM. Horrible experience which is a shame because I love Marriott hotels. It was all about the staff in this one. The manager did not even comp my breakfast after all my misery...ridiculous.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is our first time staying at this hotel in this area (we've previously stayed at the Residence Inn, just next door, but it was booked). The hotel is new and the rooms are tastefully decorated. The room amenities (including refrigerator, which was a surprise) were modern and the layout was perfect for two people. The staff was friendly and made sure out stay was perfect. We did not eat in the Bistro, but did opt to get some breakfasts danish to take up to our room to eat. They have complimentary coffee as well as Starbucks (which you pay for) in the Bistro.
Our room faced the main road, but we were not bothered by any road noise.
If it's just the two of us, we will stay here again. It is minutes from shopping and dining and a 5-8 minute drive to UNCC.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Stayed 3 night here for business. Rooms are modern and well kept. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Very close to great food and plenty of shopping. Less than a 1/2 mile to the Charlotte Speedway. I will stay here when ever I'm in the area for business or personal.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel last Friday night and we loved it. The rate was $89 per night. The rooms are beautiful, well maintained and had a balcony. Lobby and pool areas were amazing. All staff we encountered when above and beyond to ensure we were happy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family