“A Friendly Place To Be”
Review of The Brickhouse Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
The Brickhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Columbia B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“A Friendly Place To Be”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This cozy bed and breakfast is a friendly place to be. My husband & I stayed here in August and we wish we found this place a night before. The place was clean but I wish that the bed was comfortable enough. I think we stayed in the Magnolia room. There were two entry doors to our room and one opens to the front porch, so it was like we had our own private balcony. Kay gave us a tour of the whole house. The rooms were tastefully decorated. I remember that breakfast was a bit greasy for me.

Room Tip: Magnolia room - you have your own private entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at our now favorite bed and breakfast! Our room was different but fantastic as it was last time... Kay is becoming a lovable aunt to us... She is incredibly sweet and she is a fantastic cook... She remembered us and welcomed us with hugs! She even kept a pair of shoes that my husband left the last time we were there. The Brickhouse Inn is officially our home away from home!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank JJacks13
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This bed and breakfast has the standard features but not all the standard amenities. Unfortunately we had the worst room in the house. The bed was not comfortable, and we had to snitch a chair from the hallway to have a comfortable place to sit down. The shared bathroom had no kleenex or paper cups, so I spent 2 days blowing my nose with toilet paper and rinsing my mouth with water from my hand. Kay, the overseer, was very friendly. Breakfasts were ok, but not all items were homemade as they have been in most all other B&B's we've stayed in. The town of Columbia is so small that there is not much to do. We used it as a sleepover place on our way to the outer banks. I think next time we'll just stay at the outerbanks. We had a nice visit, but we'll choose another place next time. BTW, we used a group coupon for this visit which made it very affordable. I don't think I would have been very happy if we had paid the regular price.

Room Tip: There is a nice room on the first floor that has a double bed and access to a small private porch...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank nelly622
NC Triad
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Brickhouse is a great little B&B for kayakers and nature buffs to use as a home (and homey) base. It has 4 (or 5..can't remember) rooms..2 downstairs. We stayed in the Sportsman Room is decorated as named and has 2 twin beds and a private bath, great for traveling friends. The downstairs rooms have odd high mounted air conditioners operated by remote controls and the beds do creak and groan, but so do the floors and it's part of the charm. The A/C blocked out most other noises.

Kay is great..friendly, helpful, a great cook and like one of your good friends. The breakfast is served at a long dining table and we had such great conversations lingering long after the dishes were cleared. We also gathered around in the kitchen at night drinking wine and eating lemon bars that Kay made and left for us.

Columbia is quaint, a good spot for traveling to Somerset Plantation, the Pocosin Wildlife Preserve, The Scuppernong River, fishing, hunting, boating, etc.or, as some have written, a stop along the way to the Outer Banks. The Brickhouse B&B is a sweet place to stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Two-Ws
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Good place to stay but unless you are in witness protection and like crap food there is no reason to go to Columbia NC We were recommended the old salt oyster bar for dinner which is owned by the same people ,great building but unfortunately the chef cannot cook ,the manager is a total clown and they think they are a real restaurant . For fun try a filet ,which is 6 oz and comes is into two over cooked pieces, the broiled flounder is over cooked and welded to the plate

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank wanderingkev
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived late on Friday evening 4/5/13. Kay called us while we were still driving to say that she would be down at the Old Salty Oyster Bar and would leave our key for us in a specified place. My girlfriend and I arrived about an hour later. Finding our key, we entered and found cookies under a glass dome as we walked around quietly checking out the kitchen. Our bottle of wine desperately needed to find a corkscrew and a couple of wine glasses. Locating both we headed up to our room. Nothing really to note here except that it is clean and care for by Kay and we had a great time using this as a base for our visit to the Outer Banks. Unfortunately for us, the Alligator River Bridge on 64E towards the beach was out for two weeks. That made for a 2 hour drive down and around and another 2 hour drive up and through Elizabeth City to get back. It was an interestingly scenic drive and we ended up seeing more than we would have had we headed right for the beach. Being cold and very windy out on Saturday, it made our mini brewery tour easier to jusitfy else, we would have had our feet in the sand enjoying the sun and the water. Columbia is a nice little sleepy town with a small riverfront boardwalk and a continuing nature trail that has a 0.46 mile loop through the marsh. Several small restaurants were also around but as I said, we used this as our base from which to sightsee. Kay made an awesome breakfast for all the guests and nobody left without getting their fill. This is our first stay at a B&B and we would stay here again but would most likely seek out other B&B's simply because we love trying new things and new places. Thanks Kay!

Room Tip: The door on the Millinery Room sticks really bad and makes a lot of noise when going out to use the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pozharnik
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I think there is one word to discribe this place... COZY! My husband and I stayed here for 2 days and I have to say I truly enjoyed the experience! The room was very cozy and I slept great! The breakfast was fantastic! Kay was a wonderful hostess. (Thanks for the mimosas and magnolia blossoms!!!) My husband and I didn't do much which was ok considering we just wanted to relax. We did visit the winery just down the street. They had quite a selection. We stayed at the B & B with another couple. They were wonderful too! Lots of good conversation and lots of laughs! I think this will officially be our quiet getaway place!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank JJacks13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Hampton Inn Edenton
#2 of 8 in Edenton
No photo provided
Coach House Inn
#7 of 8 in Edenton

Been to The Brickhouse Inn? Share your experiences!